Vaquero Accessory and Upgrade Questions - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-28-2015, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

Vaquero Accessory and Upgrade Questions

Hi Everyone,

I am looking at purchasing a 2014 Vaquero, but I have some questions before I make the purchase and I am hoping someone here may have the answers.

First, I cannot find in the literature the actual wattage of the alternator. I ride 9 months or so a year, and it would be nice to set up connections for heating clothing/grips/seat etc and I am concerned if I add the optional accessory lighting I won't have enough wattage.

Along that note, on previous bikes I have owned I installed a relay to a fuse block, which allowed me to hard wire my gps and XM radio. Is there a convenient location to install one on the bike, say under the seat? I may go with the Kawasaki factory XM install, but I would love to have my gps free from a cigarette plug. I'm thinking a block of about 5 fuses, nothing too large but would allow for expansion.

Lastly, I saw a great pic of an Kawi owner who used Bluetooth and an FM transmitter to connect to both music and his phone. Has anyone here set up a hard-wired system for the same thing?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-28-2015, 09:58 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
I don't know about wattage but they put out 48.5 amps. I run heated clothing, auxiliary lights, and a GPS plugged into the cigarette plug so I wouldn't worry too much about power. You could run LED's if you are concerned tho

2012 Kawasaki Voyager
Thunder Manufacturing Round Air Kit
Dynojet PCV Fuel Processor
Dynojet AT-300 Autotune Module
Freedom Performance True Dual's (racing Baffles)
Kuryakyn Offset Highway Pegs
Michellin Commander ll's Front & Back
RacnRay's Throttle Grip
iPod Connector
Manual Fan Switch
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-29-2015, 07:56 AM

I just purchased a "new in the crate" 14 Vaquero SE and love the bike. I'm also installing a GPS and I'm going to hard wire in a fuse block in the front faring. Seems the best place since all the wiring is there anyway. May be a bit of trouble to change fuses if they blow having to open up the fairing but it can be done. Another tip,... do not swap out the factory speakers unless you add an amp. The stock radio will not handle better speakers without more power. I have upgraded the speakers on the last two bikes I've owned but the Vaquero actually sounds worse with better speakers.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-29-2015, 08:22 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
There is PLENTY of spare juice on the 1700 platform, it's designed to handle accessories. You'll have no problem with heated gear.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-29-2015, 10:58 AM

Yes no problem with the electrics. I have run two sets of heated gear with no problem.

2005 Harley Davidson Road King
2015 Harley Davidson Softail Deluxe
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-30-2015, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Good to know! I didn't consider putting the block in the fairing, but if there is enough room I may end up doing that instead and connect the relay to the headlamp rather than running lights. I'm not too concerned about replacing speakers (yet), as I have an old helmet com system and my time is being sucked trying to figure out to hard wire the sound and phone to it.

My last bike, a 2006 DL1000 VStrom had a wimpy alternator and I'm glad this bike has a better one.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-30-2015, 10:42 AM

what phone are you using.
If it's an iPhone there are a couple of different way of wiring it into the iPod dock.

2005 Harley Davidson Road King
2015 Harley Davidson Softail Deluxe
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-30-2015, 08:07 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlars View Post
I don't know about wattage but they put out 48.5 amps. I run heated clothing, auxiliary lights, and a GPS plugged into the cigarette plug so I wouldn't worry too much about power. You could run LED's if you are concerned tho
Watts = volts * amps

W=VI. 12*48.5=582 watts. Won't run my microwave.

2010 Vulcan Voyager 1700 ABS, 2007 Vulcan Mean Streak 1600
2012 Concours 1400, 2011 Versys 650, 2012 KLX250S

see my garage for list of accessories
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 12:17 AM Thread Starter

I currently use an Android phone, but I may swap to an Iphone once my contract expires in June.

Here is what I am thinking- let me know if I am on the right track. I would need to install the 30-pin ipod adapter from Kawi, and find a way to install a bluetooth transmitter so the stereo (and I assume the XM) will connect to my helmet. I couldn't find a hard-wire solution to the problem, but I have a Nolan helmet so an N-com unit isn't out of the question. I just need to figure out how to install the bluetooth transmitter that connects to it all.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 03:07 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
The Bluetooth "transmitter" is going to be the hard part. There's plenty of them, the issue is getting an output connection to it.

Solution one is to simply use the bikes stock speakers.

Solution two is, if you're wanting to use the helmet speakers, and you're wanting to pull audio from an iPhone; then why not just connect the iPhone to your bluetooth headset? Why even add the Vaq's stereo into the mix?

Solution three is to ditch the Nolan headset and use either Kawasaki OEM, or a J&M headset connected to the bike.

I'm somewhat in the same boat. I'd like to retain my bluetooth headset while still being able to connect to the bike for occasional in-helmet stereo (including FM radio), for the integrated intercom, and for the ability to use the CB radio accessory. Right now I just listen through the speakers, and use my bluetooth headsets for intercom (which is mostly bike-to-bike anyway).

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode