LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Tell me about your Nomad...

Toying around with the idea of a new bike this year. I've been hemming and hawing for a while about whether or not I wanted a full-faired bike. I've ultimately come to the conclusion that I don't. After riding several, I really do like it; but I think I like a little LESS wind protection more.

So I'm narrowing it down really closely to a Vulcan 1700 Nomad. Owners; what do you think? Common problems? Things to look for? Must-have accessories? Would you recommend a Nomad?

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 06:46 PM

Garage
I asked a similar question recently. I always liked the Nomad and dreamed of having one when I had a C50. Decided this year was the year and was looking at a Nomad and stumbled on a few Voyagers. As much as I love the Nomad look and such I ended up going with the Voyager as it will give more comfort to the Mrs when she is along and already having trunk, tunes, etc meant less MODs needed. Had mine 2010 a week now and very happy with it. I am sure if I went Nomad I would be have been happy but this really is like riding a slice of heaven.

Several folks commented on my thread about things they felt were necessary and I think some depends on year if your not looking for showroom floor new.

Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once in a while you could miss it.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 07:00 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2011 Nomad
Color: Blue & Silver
I have a 2011 Nomad and I really like it. I do a lot of 2 up riding and my wife loves the seat and back rest. In the 2011 (at least the one I have) the belt whine is much better and shifting a little smoother than the 2009 I had before. It is a little top heavy at low speeds but something I got used to quickly.

I love the 6th gear and cruise when I get stuck on the super slab. Every other road makes the 6th gear unecessary.

If I were buying a new bike today I wouldn't hesitate to get another Nomad.

I'm just a wayfaring stranger
Riding through life on a 2011 Nomad and a 2008 Goldwing

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 08:17 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2010 NOMAD
Color: Black/titanium
Garage
2010 nomad,actually just bought it 2 weeks ago,been riding a 900 classic for the past 5 years,really like the 9,but, the nomad whooo,took a 20 mile ride,awesome,love it
don't really hear a belt whine,1st gear a little clunky,no biggie,is heavier than the 900,used to it already,handles great.do have a fairing and iso grips,stock otherwise,nice and quiet,wife loves it,silver and black,nice color combo
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodapop View Post
I asked a similar question recently. I always liked the Nomad and dreamed of having one when I had a C50. Decided this year was the year and was looking at a Nomad and stumbled on a few Voyagers. As much as I love the Nomad look and such I ended up going with the Voyager as it will give more comfort to the Mrs when she is along and already having trunk, tunes, etc meant less MODs needed. Had mine 2010 a week now and very happy with it. I am sure if I went Nomad I would be have been happy but this really is like riding a slice of heaven.

Several folks commented on my thread about things they felt were necessary and I think some depends on year if your not looking for showroom floor new.
Showroom new isn't really an option; unless it's a leftover. 2014 was the last year for the Nomad.

So, in my 'shopping quest' I've ridden an Ultra Classic, Road Glide, Victory Vision, Vaquero, Voyager, GL1800, Indian Chieftan; in addition to a Road King and a Nomad. Heck, I've even thrown a BMW R1200GS and a Kawasaki Concours 14 in there! I really thought I wanted a full faired motorcycle. I mean that's what you're supposed to have when you do a lot of long distance riding, right? But everytime I rode one I felt like there was a little bit too much going on and ever time I rode a big twin 'open cockpit' cruiser I felt at home. Call be weird I guess, but if money was no option and I could have any bike I want; it would still be a non-faired bike. I DO want factory bags that lock with the same key, electronic cruise control, etc.

I appreciate the input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayfarer View Post
I have a 2011 Nomad and I really like it. I do a lot of 2 up riding and my wife loves the seat and back rest. In the 2011 (at least the one I have) the belt whine is much better and shifting a little smoother than the 2009 I had before. It is a little top heavy at low speeds but something I got used to quickly.

I love the 6th gear and cruise when I get stuck on the super slab. Every other road makes the 6th gear unecessary.

If I were buying a new bike today I wouldn't hesitate to get another Nomad.
Thanks!

Presently, my 900 has a Harley Davidson tour-pak mounted. And that'll go on the Nomad as well. I know the trend is a big fat fairing up front and as little as possible at the back (The Street Glide, Vaquero, etc. are flying off of the shelves, so to speak). But I'm kind of the opposite. So yeah, my wife is definitely spoiled with the wraparound backrest. BUT, she rode my bike a grand total of two times last year. There's a shiny red Honda Shadow that she tends to ride on Very rarely do we ride two up anymore. Generally on two bikes.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 08:27 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
BUT, she rode my bike a grand total of two times last year. There's a shiny red Honda Shadow that she tends to ride on Very rarely do we ride two up anymore. Generally on two bikes.
Very lucky. I wish I could convince mine to get her own. I tried suggesting that for what the Voyager cost we could each get a bike but no dice for now.

Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once in a while you could miss it.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 09:13 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
Toying around with the idea of a new bike this year. I've been hemming and hawing for a while about whether or not I wanted a full-faired bike. I've ultimately come to the conclusion that I don't. After riding several, I really do like it; but I think I like a little LESS wind protection more.

So I'm narrowing it down really closely to a Vulcan 1700 Nomad. Owners; what do you think? Common problems? Things to look for? Must-have accessories? Would you recommend a Nomad?
If the bike and the bars on it fit you the only thing that is a must are extended lowers. I think I remember you saying you are over 6' so with the shield all the way up the buffeting is uncomfortable at slab speeds. This is no big problem, for about 20 bucks you can make your own like these

Oh yeah, and a light bar. They really do get a lot more attention.

10 Voyager
01 1500 Drifter
VRA Central Alabama Chapter 1-61
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TS Tinker View Post
If the bike and the bars on it fit you the only thing that is a must are extended lowers. I think I remember you saying you are over 6' so with the shield all the way up the buffeting is uncomfortable at slab speeds. This is no big problem, for about 20 bucks you can make your own like these

Oh yeah, and a light bar. They really do get a lot more attention.
Yup. The lowers I have for my 900 are fork-mounted 'universal' lowers and should work just fine. I actually have a set of OEM lowers for the 9 but the "universal" ones work a lot better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodapop View Post
Very lucky. I wish I could convince mine to get her own. I tried suggesting that for what the Voyager cost we could each get a bike but no dice for now.

Ha. Well it's not everyones cup of tea. My wife wanted to ride her own so we got her one. She enjoys it, puts a lot of miles on it.

post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 04:45 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2012 Vulcan Nomad
Color: Red
I have a 2012 Nomad that I picked up last summer. Previous owner never rode it and always kept it in the garage. Rolled over 10k miles on a quick ride earlier this week. Have a few aftermarket accessories but the seat and windshield is stock. Im 6'4 and have no problem with the wind. 75% of my riding is 2 up with my girlfriend, who also loves the bike.

Ive had sport bikes, Honda Shadows, and even an old Goldwing. I would take the Nomad over any bike Ive ever had. To me, it is perfect. Easy to ride around town and big enough to take on multi-day trips and cover hundreds of miles a day without issue.

I recommend one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nomad 1700.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	107122  
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 07:34 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
On the Nomad the lowers are part of the windshield bracket. Not sure how universal clamp type lowers would work

10 Voyager
01 1500 Drifter
VRA Central Alabama Chapter 1-61
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode