My Vaquero mod and dyno results thread - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 110 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

My Vaquero mod and dyno results thread

I have owned my V since April 18th, and it currently has 2308 mls. My other 2bikes are a Hayabusa and was a ZX14. I have developed a really bad left hip, mostly from the repetitive motion of climbing off and on skoots while performing dyno testing and tuning on my dyno since 1993. Both the Busa and the ZX14 cause me much pain in that left hip when riding for more than an hour, sometimes less. My Busa was a "glad to be alive" present to myself back in 2000 after coming too darn close to dying from a m/c crash. The Busa is never going anywhere, so the last painful ride on the ZX14 in April convinced me that i can't have 2 skoots that hurt me, so i decided to sell the 14, which i did last week. I had already fell in love with the V and had ridden one at Kawi's demo ride, and on that demo ride my hip did not hurt, so i am
the proud owner of a red V.

Over the time and miles a few thing became apparent, which necessitated some mods.

Comfort/lighting mods...

First was the lack of lighting. I got spoiled with the ZX14 and it's 4 headlight design, so i installed Kawi's running lights. They widened the light, spreading it to the sides. Kawi's recommended adjustment has the light from them at about the same height as the low beam. I think i will alter the adjustment slightly to have them reaching out a bit further, kind of filling in between low and hi beam.

Second was the stock "wind deflector". I had lots of wind hitting me in the noggin, causing lots of buiffeting and drowning out the stereo. I installed Kawi's 12" shield with a cosmetic alteration. Since i liked the looks of the stock deflector, i masked off the bottom portion of the shield and painted it black, so it has some of the stock look. The taller shield helped quite a bit in keeping the wind blast off my noggin, and I can hear the stereo much better now.

Pics of the above mods...

The most recent mod is installing Kawi's Gel seat. I found the stock seat far too soft. The gel seat is much firmer, but is designed with the same shape as stock. What i have found is the need to have the drivers hump moved back so i have more room. I am still not as comfy as i would like. I will have to work on this after my vacation.

Performance mods...

As a true motorhead i was not gonna leave the V stock. I wanted to improve performance and gas mileage, tho the mpg was not bad for this land barge. I averaged 40-42 mpg and saw 49 mpg while putting around. I wanted mor of that v-twin sound also.

The first thing to do was to get the skoot on my dyno to perform the baseline dyno runs and document the stock power and torque. The peak figures are as follows...h.p. was 64.97 @ about 5200 rpm, and torque was 79.39 pnds @ about 3300 rpm.

The fiirst mod was to remove the 2 restrictor plates in each muffler. This mod made the mufflers straight thru except for the catylizer. The next set of dyno runs is where we started to learn some of the idiosincrasies of the V. The follow up runs showed only an 1.5 h.p. and 3.8 pnds inrease. I truly believed it would produce more, but i also noticed i had allowed the engine to get a bit hotter while doing the runs, about 3/4. All engines have an "engine temperature sweet spot" where they make their best power. Cooler or hotter than that and the power is less. So I let the engine cool down and redid the runs, this time keeping the coolant temp where it was on the baseline runs, right around halfway . The power increased dramatically, power now up to 70.34 with torque @ 87.59 pnd. This represents a gain of 5.37 h.p. and 8.2 pnds of torque. NICE, with a little bit better exhaust tone.

NOTE TO SELF... after the next mod make the same 4 run comparison
of coolant temp to determine optimum coolant temp for consistent dyno runs.

Information about my dyno graphs....At the bottom of each graph you will see the info for each run. Each run is numbered and the notes are color-coded to match the runs shown. The run info includes, date and time,the weather conditions (temperature, barometric pressure, humidity), the SAE correction factor, peak h.p. and torque, and modifications made. On all the graphs there is a black line running from top to bottom. This is a cursor that i can position at any spot on the graph. It is very usefull in showing power differences at any rpm i choose as sometimes there are gains (or losses) that are differerent from the peak figures. The power and torque is displayed where the line crosses a run line and the rpm chosen is at the bottom. We also always perform 2 runs to further add to testing consistancy.

Graph of above dyno runs...

The next mod was to install a K&N filter. The stock filter has alot of surface area, but the anti-backfire screen adds restriction. Removing that screen on most skoots yields a slight power increase, but on this skoot i chose to install the K&N. The follow up runs would also give me a deffinate coolant temperature to use in further testing since i was going to perform 2 sets of runs at different coolant temps.
Th first runs were done with coolant temps bout 3/4, the next 2 at 1/2 way. The same power loss at 3/4 was noted, so all future dyno testing was done with the coolant temp just under the 1/2 way point before the first run.

Graph of the above runs...

My next phase of testing was to address a concern i had of what i felt was a delay in the fly-by-wire system's ( aka "fbw" ) response in relation to what i was doing with the throttle. I examined throttle plate opening while twisting the throttle, what i saw was a noticeable delay. The opening of the plates did not match what my right hand was doing. My mod for this was to convert the stock throttle into a "quick turn" throttle. I machined a spacer that altered the diameter of the throttle tube where the cables ride. In observing the plate opening with the throttle mod, i could see the plates opening quicker and further. More importantly b4 this mod, we performed baseline runs at 1/2 throttle, then follow-up runs. My assumption was proven correct as the fbw system was now opening the plates more for each degree of throttle application. The difference in power at half throttle was huge, going from 32.14 to 46.91 and troque from 72.49 to 79.65 pnds!

Graph of the above runs...

I test rode the skoot to get my "seat-of-the-pants" feel for these mods. There was a slight increase in noise from the mufflers, but the most noticeable change was the low/part throttle reponse. There was a huge improvement in throttle response, especially when taking off from a dead stop. That was where i originally felt the lag in the reponse. Power was better everywhere so i was pleased with what we had accomplished.

When I installed the K&N filter i examined the intake system closely. Very well engineered to help this skoot meet noise and emmision levels. As some of you have found out, big air kits really wake up this engine. I really liked the looks of the stock air boxes, so with having a machine shop right here in my shop, i decided to embark on modifying the intake. Now up to this point the best peak power was 72.44 h.p. and 93.67 pnds torque. I removed the right side air box lid exposing the throttle bodies and performed dyno runs to see what the engine's response would be. Boy oh boy did it like the extra air!! Peak power went up to 78.59 h.p. with 94.45 pnds torque. There was no change in power below 2500 rpm, from there the power increased. At 4500 rpm there was an 8.46 h.p. and a 9.85 pnd torque increase! This thing wants some air!!

Phase 2 to follow...

Last edited by RACNRAY; 05-31-2011 at 11:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 110 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 11:16 AM
Top Contributor

I installed the Thunder Mfg. stock side cover air kit and it did help the engine breathe easier BUT the flip side is you will hear more noise from the intake.

I like what you did with the windshield, nice paint. How long will it hold up to the sun ?
post #3 of 110 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Phase 2

OK, so now here is where i started to have some fun in modifying stuff. since i wanted to retain the look and function of the stock intake, I made some mods.

First was to get more air into the left air box. I machined out the center of the emblem and installed a screen.

Pic of left side air box mod...

A word of warning...DO NOT do this mod alone if you keep your stock intake. Dyno runs showed a SUBSTANTIAL power loss thru the entire powerband. Taping over this hole in subsequent dyno runs brought the power back. Since previously performed dyno runs with a completely removed and open right side air box showed huge gains in power, i knew we were not getting "too much" air and running lean. Very close and time cosuming examination brought me to the following conclusion. The left side air box and the connecting passage to the right side is poorly designed as far as allowing
a big increase in air flow. It cannot. The left air box funnels the air into that small passage in an inefficient manner. Adding the extra air into the left side causes the air to "bottle-neck" into that small connecting passage, reducing intake velocity and air flow. During the dyno runs with this mod alone air was coming OUT of this new opening!! It is said "the best laid plans of mice and men" holds very true at times!

The next step was to get more air into the right side. I odered a conical shaped K&N fiter that had fliter media on it's outer circumference and it's top. I fabricated a plate that attached to the air box for the filter to seat against. The lid was heavily modified with openings to allow more air in. The results worked as far as power, and don't look too bad.

Pic of the right side air box...

The next step was to install Cobra slip-ons. I had the Tri-ovals on order, more specifically on back order, and my supplier was telling me not till July 2 or so. My second choice were the slash tips, so i ordered them. Upon examination i was shocked to see how restrictive the baffles were, with a cap welded to the inlet of the core. There was only about a 8" section of louvered core that exhaust gasses could pass thru to get into the center of the core and out of the muffler. These s/o's were probaly more restrictive than the stock mufflers as delivered. The end caps were removed and the slip-ons installed. I did not have much hope for a performance improvement as the i.d. of the core was very small for a 1700cc engine. True to my assumption, there was only a gain at peak of 1.64 h.p. and 2.25 pnds torque.

This was the end of my hard parts mods. I installed the PCV and developed a custom map. The a/f ratio was off after the mods, so the re-mapping gained more than we usually see. What is noticeable in the graph is the more drastic fall-off of power in the over-rev area after the point of peak power. I feel this is due to the restrictive slip-on's baffles, which i have already planned a
fix. Due to the all steel/mechanical design of the s/o's, there is quite alot of resonance coming from the mufflers. It is very irritating and does not sound like what others are hearing. My redesign should help in that area.

Graph of the above mods...

Graph showing stock power vs. now...

A HUGE increase in both power and torque, and look at the gain at 2500 rpm. A gain of 9.8 h.p. but more importantly a gain of 20.56 pnds of torque. This skoot is now a monster. Gas mileage is also much better. Sunday's ride had us heading up to Lake Okeechobee with one of my meet-up groups. Averaging 65-70 mph (too darn slow) had me pulling into our destination showing 51.4 mpg!! YIPPEE!!

Future mods when i come back from vacation are...a completely new baffle system for the slip-ons; a larger air filter for better breathing.

I AIN'T DONE YET!!

MORE TO COME!!

RACNRAY

Last edited by RACNRAY; 05-31-2011 at 11:39 AM.

post #4 of 110 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbilotta View Post
I installed the Thunder Mfg. stock side cover air kit and it did help the engine breathe easier BUT the flip side is you will hear more noise from the intake.

I like what you did with the windshield, nice paint. How long will it hold up to the sun ?
YES...I was a bit surprised at the increase in intake noise, but that is also an indication of how well the stock intake suppresses intake noise.

I painted the INSIDE of the shield with black spray paint, it'll last forever.

RACNRAY
post #5 of 110 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Mod i forgot

Most jap speedo/tachs are way off from actual numbers. The V's tach is off as much as 500 rpm at the upper end, and about 200 higher at idle.

I utilized the on-board idle control feature and lowered the idle 100 rpm (the lowest it would allow). The idle is now right around 850 actual rpm. That helps in stop and go traffic, and the engine just feels better idling .

RACNRAY
post #6 of 110 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 01:37 PM
Top Contributor

The machining you did on the right side cover is beautiful, I really like the screen inserts. The only concern I have is rain getting inside.

Nice work.
post #7 of 110 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 03:10 PM

Nice work and a super report, this should be a help to us all. I take it from your report that for anyone just adding cobra slip-ons there is no need for a fuel processor.
Thanks for posting,
James
post #8 of 110 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replay13 View Post
Nice work and a super report, this should be a help to us all. I take it from your report that for anyone just adding cobra slip-ons there is no need for a fuel processor.
Thanks for posting,
James
When the EPA imposed emmision regs on skoots back in 1979 we found that tweaking the idle/low speed fuel mixture helped the engines run better, smoother, cooler with better gas mileage.

Nothing has changed. Nowadays even on a completely stock skoot the same performane improvements can be felt, especially in the areas of rpm/throttle position where the a/f ratio has been leaned out to meet those emmision regs.

The 4" round with the slash tip slip-ons i installed have probably the same baffles as Cobra's other 4" round with the flat end caps, and i feel the way Cobra sends these out they are prolly as restrictive as stock mufflers. I have not seen the Tri-ovals so i can't comment on them.

I have found that most modern skoots can tolerate a slip-on without suffering from performance problems due to making the engine run leaner, but that is not always the case. The one area that the EPA does not have a negative influence is in the high rpm/large throttle opening, so slip-ons such as what i installed will not lean out an engine in those areas, and it is in those areas where engine damage from a lean a/f ratio is most likely to occur.

Since i did not have the time to install the s/o's as Cobra makes them i wonder how much if any power improvement they would make. Believe me when i say how restrictive i believe the baffles are as delivered. Seems to me there might only be a small power improvement over stock with only a slight
change in exhaust tone. The Cobra's each did feel bout a pound or 2 lighter, but i could not feel a handling improvement from the weight loss.

I am interested in how the baffling is on the Tri-ovals, as they may flow much better than these.

RACNRAY
post #9 of 110 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 03:52 PM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACNRAY View Post
When the EPA imposed emmision regs on skoots back in 1979 we found that tweaking the idle/low speed fuel mixture helped the engines run better, smoother, cooler with better gas mileage.

Nothing has changed. Nowadays even on a completely stock skoot the same performane improvements can be felt, especially in the areas of rpm/throttle position where the a/f ratio has been leaned out to meet those emmision regs.

The 4" round with the slash tip slip-ons i installed have probably the same baffles as Cobra's other 4" round with the flat end caps, and i feel the way Cobra sends these out they are prolly as restrictive as stock mufflers. I have not seen the Tri-ovals so i can't comment on them.

I have found that most modern skoots can tolerate a slip-on without suffering from performance problems due to making the engine run leaner, but that is not always the case. The one area that the EPA does not have a negative influence is in the high rpm/large throttle opening, so slip-ons such as what i installed will not lean out an engine in those areas, and it is in those areas where engine damage from a lean a/f ratio is most likely to occur.

Since i did not have the time to install the s/o's as Cobra makes them i wonder how much if any power improvement they would make. Believe me when i say how restrictive i believe the baffles are as delivered. Seems to me there might only be a small power improvement over stock with only a slight
change in exhaust tone. The Cobra's each did feel bout a pound or 2 lighter, but i could not feel a handling improvement from the weight loss.

I am interested in how the baffling is on the Tri-ovals, as they may flow much better than these.

RACNRAY
The after market slip-ons may benefit us due to their lack of catalytic converters. Wouldn't this help the bike flow easier and make less heat ?
post #10 of 110 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbilotta View Post
The after market slip-ons may benefit us due to their lack of catalytic converters. Wouldn't this help the bike flow easier and make less heat ?
YES

When i come back from my vacation i will start the baffle modification process. I will take pics of these baffles b4 i do anything. I'll even put in place the block-off cap, to show how restrictive these baffles were.

Using the term "aftermarket slip-ons" may be too generic of a term. A large percentage of my work is with sportbikes, and these Cobra baffles are very restrictive in design and would kill major power on a sportbike. Are these the same design as used on other companies s/o's? In other v-twins we have done none that i can remember were this restrictive.

RACNRAY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode