Voyager Info Request! Help! - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Voyager Info Request! Help!

Hi All,

Happy spring from Alberta! Sold my 2009 Vulcan Classic this weekend and craving a Vaquero. Ive been hunting down examples of Voyagers with the Tourpack removed to give it that Street Glide/ Vaquero look. Can't find a used Vaquero, so I figure I'll make one. A couple questions though for those who have wisdom beyond their years!

1) 2011 / 2012 Voyagers: Still run hot? Still pop on deceleration? Still resist tweaking, such as the Big3 application? My Classic was tough to tweak, and the main reason why I sold it. I'm hoping they truly were the ugly stepchild of the group and the Voyager is better? Racnray could weigh in on this single handedly, I'd bet!

2) Does the Vaquero saddle fit the Voyager properly?

3) I'd like to make the Tourpack a quick release system, because it will be off almost all the time. If anyone has done it, can they please weigh in?

4) Am I crazy for going this route? I like the looks of the final result, but any advice is appreciated!

Thanks you guys! I hope to narrow this down quickly and if I do the conversion, it will be well documented!

All the best!

Karatemoto!

KARATEMOTO!

Last edited by KarateMoto; 03-21-2015 at 01:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-21-2015, 12:23 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
The heat for me is not an issue at all, and I live in Ga. USA, were temps are at or near 100 degree several days and weeks a summer. For performance mods, Ray needs to speak up here, he seems to have the best results, although a freer intake pipes, and a fuel controller will make a notable improvement. Check out the video here in post 3, at about the 9 second point you'll see the front wheel come up for a second, so they do perform. I believe it was in 11 they change the 1st gear ratio to reduce the thunk when dropping in gear that resulted in a slight reduction in take off, but I am happy with mine, is a 12. I think it was Twowheeladdict that made his trunk removable, but not sure about a quick release for it. The seat, I have no idea on, but am sure saddleman makes one you'll like, or Mustang even. Honestly, I have no issues putting 6-700 miles a day on my stock seat, however I did cut it down about an inch so I could touch the ground better on humped pavement at redlights and stop signs. I would not hesitate to buy another Voyager. The only other bike I would consider at this point would be the Victory CrossCountry tour, but the cash difference is a big one.

2005 800 classic
2012 Voyager ABS
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-21-2015, 01:03 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Hi Rick! Thanks for the reply sir! I put a EJK, KandN and Cobra slip ons on my Classic and it woke up, but the decel pop was unnerving, and almost embarrassing at times. I had it close to zero'd in by the time I sold it (of Course) and overall, I like the Kawi platform . .it's big, fat and fits my 5'14" frame well. My concern is that I think other bikes take performance tweaks much better than this mill. My old Vulcan 1500 loved to hopped up as did my M109, the classic, not so much.

My goal is to remove the tour pack, get a Vaquero seat, lower the Voyager front and back, maybe PCV, Big air kit and again, cobra slip ons and RACNARY grips . . DONE!

We'll see you around the forum!

Have a good one!

KARATEMOTO!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-21-2015, 01:57 AM
Kap
Lifetime Premium

Garage
I've had more time on a Classic, but I own both so I'll chime in......

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarateMoto View Post
1) 2011 / 2012 Voyagers: Still run hot? Still pop on deceleration? Still resist tweaking, such as the Big3 application?....
We'll let the more experienced answer this one, but if you search here there's a lot of tweaks that can be done.

Quote:
2) Does the Vaquero saddle fit the Voyager properly?
I'm in the same boat as you. I wanted a Vaquero, but with the leg fairings, bigger seat, and taller shield. I decided to go with a Voyager from the start. In the process I learned a bit about the seats as I wanted to move the Russell from my Classic over to my next bike. I think the Voyager and Vaquero are going to be different, not by much... but enough to make the mod difficult. There's a rear latch that is fit differently on the 1700 bikes, depending on the model. That's not so much a big deal, but fit still wasn't possible. I bought all of the needed seat brackets and locks to move a Classic seat to the Voyager and the issue was with the Voyager chrome. It's very tall and the Voyager seat frame is made different. I'll wager that (even if you change brackets) that the seat won't lock in properly. I may be wrong, but from what I can tell it is the Nomad and the Voyager that are compatible in swap because they have the same chrome around the seat area.

Quote:
3) I'd like to make the Tourpack a quick release system, because it will be off almost all the time. If anyone has done it, can they please weigh in?
I don't think that there is a bolt on quick release for the Tourpack. Also, I don't think that you can even use a Vaquero set-up. I think you have to go with the Nomad backrest.

Quote:
4) Am I crazy for going this route? I like the looks of the final result, but any advice is appreciated!
Keep looking, I've been trying to find a wrecked Nomad or a backrest for sale for 3 months. Nothing yet. I can say that I like the rear speakers and use the tourpack more than the side bags. Once you get going you don't notice it. With that, I'm not pushing to find the Nomad parts.

Kap

2010 Classic LT - Imperial Red & Metallic Titanium ("
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
")

Friends tell me I need to get in shape. Round is a shape, isn't it?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-21-2015, 08:33 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Forgot the popping. I'm using an EJK with a Thunder stock air kit and the thunder gasket, and 3 baffles on right and 2 on left drilled out. I have the proper hose plugged from the back of the filter housing and get very little popping from mine and its still quiet enough that its not bothersome to anyone else. My decel has a nice hotrod type of burble to it. They did change the mufflers, I think starting with the 2012 model to make them quieter, they went from a slash cut end to a tapered end for the mufflers.

2005 800 classic
2012 Voyager ABS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode