Sudden Acceleration Jump - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-15-2015, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Sudden Acceleration Jump

Hello,
Have a problem with my '09 1700 Nomad having "jumps" in acceleration at three different points as I roll on the throttle.....I can pretty much predict at what points it's going to do it as I speed up. The harder I accelerate, the harder the snap... No other performance problems along with it, and this has been happening since last fall. Loaded new Powercommander map this spring, but problem's still there. Sure would appreciate any ideas/help. Thanks!
Bob P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-16-2015, 11:00 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKNowWhat? View Post
Hello,
Have a problem with my '09 1700 Nomad having "jumps" in acceleration at three different points as I roll on the throttle.....I can pretty much predict at what points it's going to do it as I speed up. The harder I accelerate, the harder the snap... No other performance problems along with it, and this has been happening since last fall. Loaded new Powercommander map this spring, but problem's still there. Sure would appreciate any ideas/help. Thanks!
Bob P
ALOT more info is needed. Does this happen in one specific gear, like second gear. Under what kind of acceleration, hard, medium, and even tho you have no tack at about what rpm?

RACNRAY

"TRUE HAPPINESS IS IN THE HEART,NOT IN THE OUTSIDE FIXES!!"
WITH OVER 42 YEARS AS A MOTORCYCLE TECHNICIAN/HI-PO SHOP OWNER I AM A PURVEYOR OF FACT NOT FICTION!
"WE LIVE OUR LIVES IN CHAINS NEVER KNOWING WE HAD THE KEY"
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 08:18 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
I just can't picture 'jump' and 'snap' associated with the 1700 engine.

I would disconnect the power commander and see if it is still there. How many miles on the bike? Kept up with all the periodic maintenance and have good gas in it?

2010 Vulcan Voyager 1700 ABS, 2007 Vulcan Mean Streak 1600
2012 Concours 1400, 2011 Versys 650, 2012 KLX250S

see my garage for list of accessories

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 10:43 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RACNRAY View Post
ALOT more info is needed. Does this happen in one specific gear, like second gear. Under what kind of acceleration, hard, medium, and even tho you have no tack at about what rpm?

RACNRAY
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
I just can't picture 'jump' and 'snap' associated with the 1700 engine.

I would disconnect the power commander and see if it is still there. How many miles on the bike? Kept up with all the periodic maintenance and have good gas in it?
Yeah what they said, much more info is needed. How many miles one the bike, how long have you had it, did you add any mod or perform any service a short time before this symptom showed up etc...

10 Voyager
01 1500 Drifter
VRA Central Alabama Chapter 1-61

Last edited by TS Tinker; 03-17-2015 at 10:46 PM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

Sorry....realize now I didn't offer enough specifics so, here goes: Bought the bike new in 2010. Kept up on mtce. Replaced ECM under warranty. At 19k, did throttle mod, Thunder Air kit, (just the adapter plate that bolts to the throttle body, using the oem cover over K &N filter), Cobra Triovals and Dynojet Power Commander V, (using David Sheek's proven map). Problem started about 28k miles, roughly. 30k on now.

This spring: new battery, cleaned Powercommander electrical contacts, cleaned K & N filter, installed a clean version of David's map, fresh gas in tank. Problem persists. Happens in all gears...or at least 1-5, for sure. More pronounced the harder I accelerate.....if I open the throttle wide and hold it steady, it will accel smoothly, jump, accel smoothly, jump....up to 4 times before it gets to steady speed. Point well taken that I should try disconnecting the Powercommander to find/eliminate that as a cause and will report back... Thanks all who asked for further info!
Bob
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 09:06 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKNowWhat? View Post
Sorry....realize now I didn't offer enough specifics so, here goes: Bought the bike new in 2010. Kept up on mtce. Replaced ECM under warranty. At 19k, did throttle mod, Thunder Air kit, (just the adapter plate that bolts to the throttle body, using the oem cover over K &N filter), Cobra Triovals and Dynojet Power Commander V, (using David Sheek's proven map). Problem started about 28k miles, roughly. 30k on now.

This spring: new battery, cleaned Powercommander electrical contacts, cleaned K & N filter, installed a clean version of David's map, fresh gas in tank. Problem persists. Happens in all gears...or at least 1-5, for sure. More pronounced the harder I accelerate.....if I open the throttle wide and hold it steady, it will accel smoothly, jump, accel smoothly, jump....up to 4 times before it gets to steady speed. Point well taken that I should try disconnecting the Powercommander to find/eliminate that as a cause and will report back... Thanks all who asked for further info!
Bob
Sorry friend to take what TWA said early about your "jump" symptom a step further, It does not compute.

Find another way to describe the symptom. 1700's are powerful 2 wheelers but they don't jump anything they are to damn heavy.

Anecdotal descriptions:

My then 19 year old son returns home after just leaving the house, runs in and says "Dad I think the transmission is about to go in the K5" . Seeing dollar signs I go out to see what is up after traveling a block down the street I stopped the truck popped the hood and replaced the plug wire that was loose.

My then 24 year old daughter came in saying here suv felt like it was trying to run away or take off sitting still at stop signs or red lights but was running fine otherwise. I drove it hard and easy but the only thing I could notice was a slight vibration at dead idle. This one turned out to be catastrophic, at least as far as my check book was concerned. Collapsed compression ring in the 3rd hole.

10 Voyager
01 1500 Drifter
VRA Central Alabama Chapter 1-61
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode