Noob Question - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Question Noob Question

I am going to t look at 2 bikes in Monday, a 2010 Nomad 1700 (25k miles) and a 2012 Voyager (2500 miles). What I am hoping that some of the resident pros here can tell me is:

1. Anything specific to these bikes I should look for when looking at them?

2. Anything that seems to be a general consensus "must change" or "must have" right away? (For instance when I had my C50 the seat was a known POS that pretty much had to be changed or suffer uncomfortably after 20 miles)

Being new to these models I look to those who have been in the saddle for awhile for advice before I pull the trigger.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 10:02 PM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2010 kawasaki Nomad
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: 2-tone Metallic Diablo Black/Metallic Titanium
Garage
I have a 2010 Nomad and like it. There are some issues you should be aware of though. Heat coming off the engine was one of my 1st and biggest issues. I was able to solve that for the most part. If you get the 2010 let me know and I'll fill you in on what I did. 2ndly the bike sits higher the other bikes I've had. I have a 29" inseam and found it an issue to stand flat footed sometimes depending on the roadway contour. A good set of riding boots with a 1 to 1 1/2' heal helps there. The bike before my Nomad was a Suzuki C50 and I got great MPG. The Nomad was a little disappointing when I realized I was only getting 33 to 36 MPG around town. I do get 40 to 45 MPG out on the open road which is a lot better. The Nomad is a little over 800 lbs so it can be intimidating at first. It does ride real nice and has a lot of power especially when riding 2 up. The only other thing I'm dealing with and trying to over come are the over sized passenger floorboards. When taking off from a stop especially going up a grade my calves hit them and sometimes it gives you a good jolt. I've taken the floorboard brackets to a welding shop and had them move back a couple of inches. Also I've been educating my wife on when to flip them up out of my way. The saddlebags are bid you'll love the storage space in them. Hope all of this helps. Over all the Nomad a nice bike.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Only a Biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window."
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks that is some helpful information. I will be sure to pay attention to the height as I am also a 29 inch inseam and only 5'6". I have been a little concerned for the heavier weight from the C50 especially when 2 up.

Did you find that there was anything you felt was missing or really needed upgrading? Both of these bikes are priced a bit more then I planned to spend which is still ok as long as I don't then need to drop another grand right away on MODs. I am hoping that these will be comfortable to ride right away without dropping more $ for seats, windshields, etc

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 11:28 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
I moved up from an 800 classic vulcan to my 2012 Voyager and was also concerned about the added weight, but once moving, it get lighter quick. Being height challenged, you may consider the earlier nomad kickstand if you get the Voyager, its a bit longer and makes the bike easier to standup. I've got you beat by a couple inches overall and sometimes I am on my toes at a stop, and rarely flat footed on both feet while seated. I believe the 09 and 10 model 1700s had a recall for the ECU, make sure its been done, any dealer should be able to tell you by the VIN number. If I had it to do again, I sure would. No regrets here. If no proof they have been done, fluid changes should be done, brake, clutch, oil, and coolant.

2005 800 classic
2012 Voyager ABS
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-15-2015, 07:00 AM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Here are some of what I considered desirable upgrades that I did:
Mustang Seat, RIV-Elchrn Electric Horn (the stock horn just isn't loud enough for when someone cuts you off), Kuryakyn Longhorn Offset Dually Highway Pegs
Cobra Solo Luggage Rack, 7" Chrome Headlight Visor, National Speedometer Cowl (Helps to keep the glare off the windshield at night from the lited display). I also did a couple of other mods, but they were more person touches. Rick is right about the fluids. I had all mine done around 14k.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-15-2015, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I think aside from the weight my biggest concerns are seat and reach to bars. On my C50 I added pullback risers which made a huge difference for a short dude like me. And that bike a Mustang seat (or equiv) was mandatory. cost of a seat replacement is pretty substantial so that has me a bit worried. Guess I will have to play it by feel when I see the bikes tomorrow and hope that seeing at dealer can give me a decent enough perspective.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-15-2015, 03:14 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Thumbs up Nomad

The stock seat on my Nomad wasn't bad. In fact I had the bike 2 years before getting the Mustang seat for it. When I had my C50 the Mustang seat was must have. The stock seat on that was not good. I didn't add the risers on the C50 and don't have them on the Nomad but like the idea for a future purchase. Getting on the bike and test riding it will be your best bet. If you get the bike you can always look for a use Mustang seat on this or other sites like ebay and Craig's list. Good luck with it.

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-16-2015, 12:27 AM

http://rjsoriginals.com/
These will be needed no matter which one you choose.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-16-2015, 02:12 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
What is the difference in price?

I have A Nomad and Voyager and every one talks about them being the same but in reality for as similar as they are they could not be more different.

Both of mine are 09's so it really is apples to apples. They are both fantastic machines. Although many have made a touring platform out of the Nomad It is better suited for local use.

The Voyager, on the other hand, is a long range machine. They both have hard bags and cruise control, but the Voyagers tour pack, frame mounted fairing, and lowers, not to mention gauges. If you are a true motor head there is nothing more important while you are tooling down the road than actual gauges that measure mundane things like RPM,and how much fuel is in the tank not miles to empty given current throttle position.

Not to mention the 2012 Voyager will have the KAMS standard. Even though my 09's do not have the KAMS the heat from them has been far less than a 2012 Harley Ultra I rented 2 years ago.

10 Voyager
01 1500 Drifter
VRA Central Alabama Chapter 1-61
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-16-2015, 03:01 AM

2010 voyager here and love it
the fact that the fairing is mounted to the frame make a big difference with the wind
i still have the staock seats and have 52000 km on it
the other mods are nice but more for fun than a needed thing
changing exhausts fuel processor and air intake do make a lot of diffence to power ,fuel economy and HEAT
in fact it droped the heat factor by almost half

rays throttle mod is great as well

2010 voyager
v/h performance pro pipe with quieter muffer
pcv with ign
individual gear mapping
auto tune
commander 11 rear tyre
2 inch risers
Allycat air intake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement