Aux fuel cell - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 06:41 AM Thread Starter

Aux fuel cell

I'm looking for a manufacture that makes a Aux fuel cell for the Voyager, and any ideas on where to put it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 09:18 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Havent heard of any specific, but they are some universals out there. Asuming you intend to travel, removing the trunk to mount probably isnt best, but if riding solo, removing the rear seat and fabbing a mount there is doable. Perhaps something like this?
http://www.ironbutt.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=7342

2005 800 classic
2012 Voyager ABS

Last edited by rick; 03-14-2015 at 09:26 AM.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 09:43 AM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
You wont find one specific for the Voyager, but you can find one that will fit in a saddlebag or trunk. I have seen guys with
ones made to strap on the trunk/seat.

We used bladders in our patrol bikes (HD) but they were made to fit in the radio box. I would patrol over 100 miles away from anywhere.

I would put it in the left saddlebag. You might get up to a 4 gallon bladder in there.

Just do a search for a 3 or 4 gallon soft fuel bladder/cell. You will of course have to drill holes in the saddlebag.

Not really sure why you would want one unless you live far between gas stations like I did in Nevada.... SOme places were 185 miles between gas. I always carried 2 quart plastic oil cans full of gas when we went that way. Which was most of the time. Only needed them once, but others I rode with used them all the time. The Venture had a 6 gal tank.

Bubba in TX

2011 Voyager "Betty Clunker"

A bad day on a motorcycle is better than a good day in a car

Some people collect T-shirts
I actually ride

Voyager 1700 owners...
WRAP your pipes....
You will be glad you did...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
U.S.A.F. Retired

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Nye County Nevada
Motor Officer Retired
Blue Knights Texas 43

Last edited by Bubba in TX; 03-14-2015 at 09:51 AM.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

I need my trunk, I'm doing more and more ironbutt rides and want to do a BBG this summer, if I can get my vacations lined up right next yr I'd like to try the Utah 1088. I've done 3 saddlesores and with the small tank it would be nice to have a few more gallons.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

I'm also wanting to put a hydration system on the bike and wonder if anybody has pics if they put one on the voyager. Just trying to get some ideas together.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 03:05 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
I'm trying to find it, but somewhere on this forum someone did that with a VN1700 and what I believe was a stainless beer keg. Essentially, they fabricated a mount, mounted it to the passenger seat. It held around 5 gallons I think? It then had an internal fuel pump so that the rider could flip a switch and pump fuel into the main fuel tank (where the bikes fuel pump lives, on an FI bike it's a bit more complicated to just 'switch tanks', pumping fuel INTO the main tank is a better option).

Do some searching and see if you can find it, it HAS been done. But I think that's the best solution out there; using your passenger seat.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 03:08 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Here it is:

https://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/s...light=aux+fuel

5 gallons and he gets another 175 miles out of it. Very cool! There might be some concerns with carrying fuel in a homemade fuel cell with the DOT; unsure!

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-15-2015, 07:51 AM
BOTM Winner, April 2013

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneyw71 View Post
I'm looking for a manufacture that makes a Aux fuel cell for the Voyager, and any ideas on where to put it.
Check out http://www.tourtank.com/tanks.html. They have every size from 1 to 10 gallons, and all accessories needed. I ALMOST put one on my Yamaha Stratoliner when I had it, because it only has a 4.5 gal tank.

AKA The Green Hornet
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-15-2015, 12:29 PM

Garage
This might not be a feasible idea but how much would it cost to have a custom fuel tank made?? With the size of the bike I'm sure a good fabricator could make a 8-9 gallon tank fit the lines of the bike?? Heck even a 10 gallon tank, it would look much better then a spare tank sitting on your passanger seat.

2010 voyager bone stock.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-15-2015, 11:19 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00tj2 View Post
This might not be a feasible idea but how much would it cost to have a custom fuel tank made?? With the size of the bike I'm sure a good fabricator could make a 8-9 gallon tank fit the lines of the bike?? Heck even a 10 gallon tank, it would look much better then a spare tank sitting on your passanger seat.
Something I personally think would be really cool, is someone fabricating two fuel cells that would fit perfectly into each saddlebag. Even if they were half-height; by having it in each you have balanced weight. I bet you could get 10 gallons of fuel across the two saddlebags. Plenty of storage still in the trunk, passenger seat, trailer, whatever.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode