Vaquero guys! - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Vaquero guys!

Hey guys so I posted a similiar thread in the new members page also but figured I would try my luck here, my names Dave im an ex harley and Kawi/zook tech. But haven't really riden many metric cruisers other then customers bikes and new test rides back in 07-08. Anyway last year I was at my local Kawi dealer and spoted the vaquero. Now the closer I get to payin off my HD dyna the more I think a vaquero would make a great 2nd bike as I can dailey it from about March-Oct. My questions are how do guys who have them like them and how do they hold up? Not trying to put anyone down but having worked on both I can say HD quality is top notch compared to most metrics, fit and finish isn't even a contest, atleast it wasn't back in 07-08 when I worked for Kawi. Is the vaquero a solid bike? Are the fenders metal are the turn signals metal? How is the radio on the highway? I won't have my dyna paid off for probably another year but damn the vaquero is a great looking bike and at 10l less then the road glide seems like a good deal, just looking for opnions thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 08:49 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvetteman115 View Post
Hey guys so I posted a similiar thread in the new members page also but figured I would try my luck here, my names Dave im an ex harley and Kawi/zook tech. But haven't really riden many metric cruisers other then customers bikes and new test rides back in 07-08. Anyway last year I was at my local Kawi dealer and spoted the vaquero. Now the closer I get to payin off my HD dyna the more I think a vaquero would make a great 2nd bike as I can dailey it from about March-Oct. My questions are how do guys who have them like them and how do they hold up? Not trying to put anyone down but having worked on both I can say HD quality is top notch compared to most metrics, fit and finish isn't even a contest, atleast it wasn't back in 07-08 when I worked for Kawi. Is the vaquero a solid bike? Are the fenders metal are the turn signals metal? How is the radio on the highway? I won't have my dyna paid off for probably another year but damn the vaquero is a great looking bike and at 10l less then the road glide seems like a good deal, just looking for opnions thanks
The fit and finish might not be up to HD standards, but these bikes are made to ride instead of just looking great in the garage or in front of the bar.

No oil leaks. Great handling, brakes, and acceleration. Easily run well over 100,000 miles with no repairs. Then when you compare the cost a new Vaquero vs a roadglide, it is a no Brainer. The prices I was quoted makes them $8000 apart.

2010 Vulcan Voyager 1700 ABS, 2007 Vulcan Mean Streak 1600
2012 Concours 1400, 2011 Versys 650, 2012 KLX250S

see my garage for list of accessories
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for the reply. And yea price is a huge factor at 16k sticker I was slighty off put by the vaquero but having done rescearch im seeing them for 13-14k brandnew and im seeing low mile preowned a for around 10k. I mean that's Harley Davidson Dyna money for a bagger. Like you said I know the road glides are close to 24k even though they hold their value well the initial out of pocket costs negate that value. I wouldn't get rid of my harley but I will Deff probably be looking for a bagger once mine is paid off. I owe about 5k on mine still. How is the radio on the high way? And are the fenders metal? I need to get to my Kawi dealer and look for myself but I don't wanna go in until im ready to buy, thanks again

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 09:08 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Quote:
HD quality is top notch compared to most metrics
I do value your opinion, but having ridden HD every day for 22 years for a living.... I have seen some lousy fit and finish and longevity on some HD's

I have a 2011 Voyager... it is OK, but the fit and finish is not quit as good as my last metric, a 2002 Yamaha Venture, which had 350,000 miles on it when I traded it in on the Voyager. The last time I had the valves checked, around 257k, it still did not need valve adjustment. (uses shims)

I have been around a lot of HD riders over 50 years... I have never heard of any HD ever getting that kind of mileage, considering all I ever did was oil and tire changes on the Venture...

Now the past few years HD has some nice models.... I have ridden the new Ultra a lot the past year (other HD friends who keep trying to get me to go HD, but I never will) Yes there are some neat electronics on them, the fit and finish is good, but the ride is still awful. In my opinion......

The ride on the Venture was a lot more comfortable then ay HD I have ridden, including my Voyager.... too bad they do not make them any more.... I also had a couple Goldwings.... they were OK too.... BMW's in the 60's

Now about a Vaquero.... nothing wrong with them. But I am a full dresser person...

Bubba in TX

2011 Voyager "Betty Clunker"

A bad day on a motorcycle is better than a good day in a car

Some people collect T-shirts
I actually ride

Voyager 1700 owners...
WRAP your pipes....
You will be glad you did...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
U.S.A.F. Retired

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Nye County Nevada
Motor Officer Retired
Blue Knights Texas 43

Last edited by Bubba in TX; 03-08-2015 at 09:12 PM.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I am just a fan of metal over plastic even though I'm sure harley metal is twain made cheap chrome plated metal to me it still feels better. I have had many old japenese bikes and they were all metal fenders and mirrors ect... I've had a ton of suzuki Gs's from 550s up to 1000s same with kz's. But the newer stuff to me just seems like the metrics cut corners to save money. I will say that from the mid 2000s to now all cruisers have really stepped their game up. My one buddy who used to work at kawasaki/suzuki with me rides a nasty stretched out gsxr1000. Ever since I got my HD that's all he talks about now, even wears an HD hat. Says "I'll only ever ride hd" yet he doesn't even own one yet an listed his gixxer on CL last week, he drank the cool aide before he even bought the bike lol. My 2nd bike Will most likely be a vaquero or maybe a victory cross country if I could get a pre owned one cheap enough, at 28 years old I just can't spend 20k on a bike or afford a $500 a month bike payment. I would ultimately like a road glide or road King however I could buy a brandnew vaquero for the cost of a 8 year old hd bagger
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 10:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to tmanv2krider
The fit and finish won't be quite as good, but it is nice. The fenders are metal, but there is a lot of plastic on these bikes. The radio is decent on the highway but it could be complimented with some rear speakers. Not much to say. They're slow, but uncorked with a good pipe and intake they will move. The problem is an 80" evo with solid headwork and a good cam like a Bob Woods W9, or an Andrews EV57 will run circles around one of these, and that is only $500 bucks of work on a bike you can pick up for under 6k. Throw in 89" stroker flywheels or more and there isn't a kawasaki vtwin that would stand a chance. The advantage, is these bikes are so reliable that, they're probably more reliable than a brick. Can't go wrong. I'm going to put a V&H propipe, a new intake, and a good tuner as soon as possible. I hear 85hp and decent torque numbers can be achieved with a good set up on these.

1996 Harley Davidson FXDS with a lot of stuff. Yes, it's fast, yes it will pull the front tire in 1-3rd. No it's not a stock evo.

2011 Vulcan 1700 Vaquero
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

Well perfomance isn't so much a concern of mine, I've had and ridden all the sportbikes I've wanted too. And as far as cruisers my DyNa with the 96 twin cam does 80 in 2nd gear redlined and its stock minus a set of drag pipes, with an intake and a tune I should be golden. I plan to keep the DyNa as a bar hopper but would eventually like a bagger aswell. And yea a if you want a fast cruiser nothing can touch a 1340 sporty. My uncle had a low 10sec sporty on pump gas. Andrews cams, buell heads, I was too young to ride at the time but I DEFF remember the bike. I wouldn't mind buying another sporty as a project but at somepoint I have to stop buying bikes im not jay Leno. It sucks because I want everything! Haha.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 10:25 PM

I'm not talking about sportsters, I'm talking about the last real Harley... the big twin Evo, the red headed step child... shovelhead guys don't like us, and twinkie riders don't even know what we're on lol. Just don't be disappointed when you jump on one for the first time, because your twinkie with pipes and a decent tune WILL be faster. That being said, maybe it's because my evo doesn't know what it's like to not see the rev limiter or be run over 100mph all the time, but there is no power down low on these 1700 engines stock. It seems like where it makes most of its decent power is up at the top, past 3k RPM and that's where it shines. I don't shift mine until I'm getting close to 4 grand. Short shifting it doesn't get it anywhere.

1996 Harley Davidson FXDS with a lot of stuff. Yes, it's fast, yes it will pull the front tire in 1-3rd. No it's not a stock evo.

2011 Vulcan 1700 Vaquero
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

Shovel guys will argue that's the last real harley. And you don't seem that impressed with your Vaquero? Or maybe im wrong let me ask you this would you buy another one?
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvetteman115 View Post
Shovel guys will argue that's the last real harley. And you don't seem that impressed with your Vaquero? Or maybe im wrong let me ask you this would you buy another one?
Well, I didn't "buy it", it was a gift, but I did let my dad trade in a real nice bike I had at the time for it as a fathers day present. To answer your question though, yes I would own another. It's comfortable, it will handle well for a fat girl... I mean really well, and they're just really nice bikes, but like most metrics, it is what it is. I can crunch the miles on this bike with little discomfort, where as on my evo, a 742 mile run from my driveway in Tallahassee to my driveway in Houston in one day is rough to say the least, although it gets done.

2011 Vulcan 1700 Vaquero

Last edited by tmanv2krider; 03-09-2015 at 12:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode