cobra slipons - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-07-2015, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

cobra slipons

I ride a 2012 vaquero just put cobra slipons on and now I'm getting back firing. Any recommendations on a fuel controller, programmable or not programmable?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-07-2015, 02:16 PM
Kap
Lifetime Premium

Garage

Standing by for an answer on this one. I just purchased the Cobra slip-ons as well (not yet installed) and wonder if a fuel controller is really needed?

Kap

2010 Classic LT - Imperial Red & Metallic Titanium ("
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
")

Friends tell me I need to get in shape. Round is a shape, isn't it?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-07-2015, 02:19 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanie View Post
I ride a 2012 vaquero just put cobra slipons on and now I'm getting back firing. Any recommendations on a fuel controller, programmable or not programmable?
Skip he programmer for now.

This is what MUST be done at the same time s/ons are installed. The fresh air intake system (kawi calls it the "kleen" system, Suzuki calls it the "pair' system)brings fresh air into the exhaust ports for emission reduction. This system is largely responsible for the popping outa the exhaust and must be rendered inoperable.

Take the right side air box cover off, 4 small allen head bolts and it's off. Look at the black back part of the air box, look at the 11 oclock position, you will see a hole. This hole needs to be plugged up. A quickie method is to fill that hole with a high temp silicone like ultra black, ultra grey, etc. Allow time for full cure before starting.

This will reduce the popping, what percentage varies between bikes and types of s/ons.

RACNRAY

"TRUE HAPPINESS IS IN THE HEART,NOT IN THE OUTSIDE FIXES!!"
WITH OVER 42 YEARS AS A MOTORCYCLE TECHNICIAN/HI-PO SHOP OWNER I AM A PURVEYOR OF FACT NOT FICTION!
"WE LIVE OUR LIVES IN CHAINS NEVER KNOWING WE HAD THE KEY"

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-07-2015, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Thanks I'll try that.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-07-2015, 06:05 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RACNRAY View Post
Skip he programmer for now.

This is what MUST be done at the same time s/ons are installed. The fresh air intake system (kawi calls it the "kleen" system, Suzuki calls it the "pair' system)brings fresh air into the exhaust ports for emission reduction. This system is largely responsible for the popping outa the exhaust and must be rendered inoperable.

Take the right side air box cover off, 4 small allen head bolts and it's off. Look at the black back part of the air box, look at the 11 oclock position, you will see a hole. This hole needs to be plugged up. A quickie method is to fill that hole with a high temp silicone like ultra black, ultra grey, etc. Allow time for full cure before starting.

This will reduce the popping, what percentage varies between bikes and types of s/ons.

RACNRAY
Doesnt the hose that goes there also need to be plugged, or do you just plug the hole and reconnect the hose, effectively plugging the hose at the same time?

2005 800 classic
2012 Voyager ABS
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-07-2015, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

So tried that and no change still back fires. So I'm guess I'm going to have to suck it up and going to buy the power commander V.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-07-2015, 09:27 PM

Send a message via AIM to tmanv2krider
Sure you're not just getting decel pop? Decel pop can be tuned out but it's not necessarily a bad thing. A properly tuned hot rod HD should have a little decel pop, and I see no reason why an overhead cam metric should be any different.

1996 Harley Davidson FXDS with a lot of stuff. Yes, it's fast, yes it will pull the front tire in 1-3rd. No it's not a stock evo.

2011 Vulcan 1700 Vaquero
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode