New seat; which one? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2012 Kawasaki Voyager ABS
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Pearl White/Pearl Luster Beige
New seat; which one?

I am looking at replacing the stock seat on my '12 Voyager. I have spoken with a lot of folks on their aftermarket seats. Seems everyone likes theirs for a variety of reasons. I know it all comes down to comfort and personal preference, but I would like some input for your favorite and why. I am currently leaning toward the Corbin wide touring in black leather with the removable backrest. Bring them opinions!

2012 Vulcan 1700 Voyager ABS
Pearl Polar White/Pearl Luster Beige
w/Neosho F/G Model 19 Starlight trailer

Many years and models of dirt bikes(50cc to 250cc)
Honda CB 350 (197?) wore it out
Honda GL500 SilverWing (1983) sold
Honda GL1500 SE GoldWing (1995) sold
Suzuki S40 650 (2007) sold
Honda Shadow Ace Tourer 1100 (1998) sold
Yamaha VStar 950 (2012) traded

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one. Live long and prosper.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 08:01 PM
WEG

Hi CKR;

Do a search for seats and you will soon discover every seat has someone who loves it and someone who hates it including the stock seat. This includes cushions, beaded covers, and sheepskins. As well as various folks moding your stock seat...

Seems at the end of the day we alll have a bit different butt, riding styles, sitting positions, comfort levels, and amount of money we can or want to spend.

But it's a great way to spend some winter evenings waiting for the weather to come around... 😊

WEG
PS: I still have the stock seat on my '09 1700 Classic with an IKEA sheepskin (recent addition last year).
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 09:35 PM
Kap
Lifetime Premium

Garage
I have back problems and thought my ridding days were done. Swapping from a Concours with a Corbin seat to a Vulcan with a Russell Daylong has helped a lot so far.

Kap

2010 Classic LT - Imperial Red & Metallic Titanium ("
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
")

Friends tell me I need to get in shape. Round is a shape, isn't it?

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 10:51 PM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2012 Kawasaki Nomad
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Red|Silver
Garage
I had the Mustang seat on my 900 and the Ultimate on my VN2K. Both are great. Anything is better than the stock seat, in my opinion.

I grabbed a fistful of throttle and all my worries disappeared.
|| Former President | Vulcan Riders Association | Chapter 1-30 ||
|| 2012 Kawasaki Nomad | EJK Fuel Controller | Vance & Hines Twin Slash Cut | Thunder Manufacturing BAK ||
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-05-2015, 10:21 AM

Garage
I had a Mustang on my 900. I'm getting Russell Day Long for my Voyager.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-05-2015, 12:18 PM
Peg
Top Contributor

Garage
I've replaced the stock seat on my '10 twice now.

First time with a Mustang (I had them on the two bikes before and those were superb), and second time, shortly afterwards, with a Russell Day Long. The Mustang is still gathering dust in the back of the garage, as it's too expensive to ship offshore & no one in NZ wants it.

I didn't mind the Mustang, but it was just "OK" on the Voyager, not superb. My passenger hated it. She slid forward into the driver's backrest over every bump in the road.

The Russell is superb, for both of us.

Paul (Peg) Elliott
New Plymouth, NZ. '10 Voyager 1700
'02 Nomad 1500(sold) '97 VN800B (sold)
2 Honda's, 2 Suzuki's, 1 Yamaha (all dead)
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-05-2015, 12:26 PM
Kap
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peg View Post
................I didn't mind the Mustang, but it was just "OK" on the Voyager, not superb. My passenger hated it. She slid forward into the driver's backrest over every bump in the road.

The Russell is superb, for both of us.
I second that. I got Mustang seats for both my Vulcans (Classic and Voyager). I think the Mustang is a lot better than stock and can even cost less than a stock seat. Used prices can be very good on the Mustangs.

I sent the factory seats in for Russell modifications (Classic is done, Voyager should be done next week). Now I have the Mustang as a "normal" seat for when I sell the bike or when someone that isn't my fit rides (my son-in-law).

Kap

2010 Classic LT - Imperial Red & Metallic Titanium ("
")

Friends tell me I need to get in shape. Round is a shape, isn't it?
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-05-2015, 02:22 PM

If you decide to go with the Corbin, be aware that the standard Corbin design for the Voyager will drop you about 1" lower, and 2-3" inches further back from the bars. This is probably just what you are looking for if you are 6'3" with long arms. It is NOT a good thing if you are 5'8" with short arms. Don't ask me how I know this.

The good news is that Corbin is more than happy to modify their "stock" design in a number of different ways. They offer one free seat rebuild any time in the first year you own the seat. But if you know up front that you don't want that standard 2-3" further back, tell them up front and save the time and expense of shipping it back for a rebuild.

Another point about the Corbin, they definitely believe in "firm" support. There is a reason they call them Corbin saddles. A lot of people love them. Some hate them. I'm still on the fence about mine. But if you are looking for a seat with a lot of cushion, I don't recommend the Corbin.

But it is a beautiful seat, and if I decide I can't live with it long term, it will give me something to ride with while I ship the stock seat to Russell for a rebuild. Then I can sell it on e-bay for almost what I paid for it. :-)

AtlAggie

2010 Vulcan Voyager 1700
2009 Vulcan 900 Classic LT (Traded after 18,500 Miles)
SCRC # 009067, VROC # 32735
Road Captain & 1st Officer, SCRC Chapter 09 - North Georgia
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 07:49 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kap View Post
I have back problems and thought my ridding days were done. Swapping from a Concours with a Corbin seat to a Vulcan with a Russell Daylong has helped a lot so far.
This is just another confirmation that everyone is different. The only thing that gets sore when riding my concours 1400 is my butt. The Voyager will hurt my lower back on long rides unless I wear a back brace. I prefer to lean forward a little. Leaning forward also helps me absorb bumps better.

I am averaging 10,000 miles a year on the Voyager, and 15,000 miles a year on the concours.

2010 Vulcan Voyager 1700 ABS, 2007 Vulcan Mean Streak 1600
2012 Concours 1400, 2011 Versys 650, 2012 KLX250S

see my garage for list of accessories
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 10:18 AM

Just a side note on seats. I put a Mustang on to replace the stocker on my 900. It made all the difference in the world. Loved it! When I bought my Nomad, I thought, this has a seat on it I'll not have to replace. It is a comfortable seat. However, after riding for extended lengths of time, I found I had lower back pain. I was bummed out thinking that, here we go again to search for a replacement seat. Then I discovered it was more of my riding position causing my problems. I tried adjusting how I sat, but eventually fell back to the slouched position causing my discomfort. Then I decided to try a backrest. I purchased a Grasshopper backrest for about $100 shipped and WALAH, no more back pain. Now I once thought windshields weren't cool and I once thought backrests weren't cool. Well, and maybe they're not. But, riding in comfort is better than riding with pain or not riding at all. Just one more consideration that may help some of you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode