Noob 1700 Nomad Questions - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2015, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

Noob 1700 Nomad Questions

Hi all - I purchased a 2010 Nomad 1700 yesterday and rode it home from Prescott AZ to Las Vegas NV. The bike is in very, very good shape and has less than 7k miles on it. The owner had all service records including 4 oil changes (seems excessive but no complaints). The bike ran fine and power seemed adequate but I noticed a few oddities and hoping you can enlighten me:

1. The bike makes a sound almost like a "chuffing" or "puff, puff, puff". I don't know how to describe it. Almost like an exhaust leak but I've checked the pipe connections are they are good. The prior owner put cobra pipes on but I think they are just slip-ons. The sound is definitely tied to engine speed. Anyone know what I'm talking about? Typical of the bike?

2. The saddlebags seem overly difficult to latch. I have to give them a pretty good push to get them to latch. And, the left side bag only seems to click on one of the latches. Is there an adjustment procedure? Or, other tips on servicing the latches?

3. The passenger backrest is wobbly. At first I thought something was broken and took it all apart only to realize it is rubber mounted. Still, it seems to have a lot of "play" to it. Is that normal?

4. I read on these forums about noise related to the transmission and belt. Sure enough, this bike makes a groaning or whining noise at low speed. I can't tell if it is the tranny or belt - how do you distinguish between the two?

Otherwise, I'm in love with this bike. It's beautiful to look at, very comfortable and the v-twin sound is awesome (especially compared to the FJR I normally ride).

Any help appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 09:06 AM
jhs

Welcome.I really like my nomad too . But at times miss the sporting side of the concours. So far no problems. Different style for me, great for riding two up. Wife likes it much more

1976 kh500 1980 rd400
1982 gpz750
1982 v45 saber
1993 concours
2012 nomad current ride

Last edited by jhs; 02-16-2015 at 09:12 AM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Well, flushing the latch mechanisms with WD40 fixed the saddlebag issue - they close easy and click with just a little pressure.

Rode the bike to work this morning and I still can't figure out that "chuffing" sound. It seems like it's coming from the front of the engine but I don't see any evidence of an exhaust leak. I'm almost wondering if it just the sound of the big piston moving inside the cylinder, or noise from the heads.

Any ideas?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegoose View Post
Hi all - I purchased a 2010 Nomad 1700 yesterday and rode it home from Prescott AZ to Las Vegas NV. The bike is in very, very good shape and has less than 7k miles on it. The owner had all service records including 4 oil changes (seems excessive but no complaints). The bike ran fine and power seemed adequate but I noticed a few oddities and hoping you can enlighten me:

1. The bike makes a sound almost like a "chuffing" or "puff, puff, puff". I don't know how to describe it. Almost like an exhaust leak but I've checked the pipe connections are they are good. The prior owner put cobra pipes on but I think they are just slip-ons. The sound is definitely tied to engine speed. Anyone know what I'm talking about? Typical of the bike?

2. The saddlebags seem overly difficult to latch. I have to give them a pretty good push to get them to latch. And, the left side bag only seems to click on one of the latches. Is there an adjustment procedure? Or, other tips on servicing the latches?

3. The passenger backrest is wobbly. At first I thought something was broken and took it all apart only to realize it is rubber mounted. Still, it seems to have a lot of "play" to it. Is that normal?

4. I read on these forums about noise related to the transmission and belt. Sure enough, this bike makes a groaning or whining noise at low speed. I can't tell if it is the tranny or belt - how do you distinguish between the two?

Otherwise, I'm in love with this bike. It's beautiful to look at, very comfortable and the v-twin sound is awesome (especially compared to the FJR I normally ride).

Any help appreciated.
1. Hmm only thing I can think of is valve noise or possibly the engine noise reflected by the windshield?

2. This is the case with other hard bags as well. Lubricating the latch mechanism might help out.

3. I personally have never noticed any wobble in the back rest. as long as the bolts are secure I suppose it should ok. Maybe one or more the rubber mounted parts might need replaced, or are missing? I'm having the same issue with my tail light mount. Thing feels like it is just about to fall off despite the bolts being secure.

4. Yes belt and shifter noise is normal. Even when you loosen the belt to standard tension.

2009 1700 Nomad (Black)
OPT7 LED headlamp
Painted brake disks
Kawasaki light bar
Scootworks bar risers & engine chaps
RAM phone mount & drink holder
Kuryakyn speakers & AC outlet
National speedometer cowl
Wolo air horn
Oxford heated grips
Vaquero engine emblems
Mustang touring seat
Irons in the Fire rack
Kuryakyn Triple Play tail light
Cobra Tri-Oval exhaust
LED custom driving lights, accents, and turn signals
Goodyear Tripletred rear tire (205-16-60)
Ivans ECU flash
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 08:06 PM

Send a message via AIM to Vulcan Hammer Send a message via Skype™ to Vulcan Hammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegoose View Post

Any help appreciated.
The only time my 1700 made any strange chuffing or abnormal intake noises was when I had a "Stock Cover Air Kit" installed. It uses a K&N filter behind the right side stock air cover and eliminates the left side air box & snorkel. Many have removed this type of air kit because of the strange sounds it makes and the engine noises it seems to accentuate.

Did the original owner have this or another type of BAK (Big Air Kit) installed (Such as one from Thunder MFG)?

Something else to look for if the bike still has the stock air box is for an improperly installed filter element. If it was ever replaced or if a K&N OEM size filter element was installed...the K&N is very easy to misalign during installation and you could be sucking unfiltered air. Check too for a loose crank case vent line that may be blowing or sucking air.

Last edited by Vulcan Hammer; 02-18-2015 at 08:11 PM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2015, 07:03 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
The bike is 5 years old. It should have had at least 4 oil changes. 6 if you include the break in change and the one that is now due.

2010 Vulcan Voyager 1700 ABS, 2007 Vulcan Mean Streak 1600
2012 Concours 1400, 2011 Versys 650, 2012 KLX250S

see my garage for list of accessories
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2015, 05:50 PM

nomad

i too have relatively low miles on my 2012 nomad. change oil once a year per mfg requirements with kawasaki oil and filter.

the backrest was designed to 'tilt' slightly front to back to better conform to passengers back.

2012 Nomad
Wolo Bad Boy
Kury offset pegs
Kenwood marine stereo
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2015, 09:50 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Like others have noted change the oil at least once a year even if there are few or no miles. The 09-10 1700's were pron to intake leaks so there may be something to what you hear but if it was leaking bad enough for you to hear it there should be performance issues that you have not mentioned.

These 1700's make a lot of racket in the top end of the motor which is amplified by the over sized windshield on the Nomad and the faring on the Voyager. If you are use to listening for something that doesn't sound right on your vehicle the 1700 will drive you nuts for the first 6 months( if you drive it regularly)trying to figure out what each sound means.

After 20,000 miles on both of mine I just gave up and ride the crap out of em, change the oil and do it again.

10 Voyager
01 1500 Drifter
VRA Central Alabama Chapter 1-61

Last edited by TS Tinker; 02-20-2015 at 10:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode