Gave the LED headlight bulb a shot. Very pleased! - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 06:33 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Gave the LED headlight bulb a shot. Very pleased!

I have been putting HID kits in all my vehicles for years (so far my 99 Vette, wife's 12 Wrangler, my 12 Ram, my 09 Raider to name a few). I have never had a problem until I put one in my Vaquero. The output on low beam would intermittently flicker, even with a canceler in place. I tried replacing the bulb, the ballast, even the wire harness, nothing worked. Then last night on my way to work it just dies altogether.

Long story short, I had one of those new

(no ballast or crazy wiring, very plug and play) from xmas and had been waiting for a chance to put it in. Now I had a reason, lol. Here's the

if you're interested.

I after watching some install videos, I took the shield off the bulb before I installed it. The results were awesome! I get the same light output I did with HID, better light spread, and instant on (no waiting for the warm up period). And none of the crazy wiring mess.

Look into it if your thinking of upgrading from Halogens.

All lit up:

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero SE ~ Burnt Orange

Vintage Mustang seat w/driver and passenger backrest
RACNRAY'd Avon grips
Cobra Slip Ons
Infinity Speakers
K&N Filter
RAM phone mount
LED Headlight

This is my shield. I bear it before me into battle, but it is not mine alone. It protects my brother on my left. It protects my city. I will never let my brother out of its shadow nor my city out of its shelter. I will die with my shield before me facing the enemy.

Last edited by lrdofh8; 01-21-2015 at 06:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 08:22 AM
Lifetime Premium

Wanting more light on my Vaq I upgraded the stock bulb to a PIAA xtreme white bulb few years back. Nice improvement over stock but I believe I have gone thru 3, maybe 4 of these bulbs as the low beams on all of them burned out, in my opinion way too soon. And these bulbs are of the anti-vibration type.

This LED bulb looks appealing, if it is as bright as the PIAA that'll be good, but if brighter and with some lifespan advantage I'll be even happier.

Does The wiring harness that comes with the bulb plug into the oem h/l bulb socket? And why did you remove the shield?

THANX
RACNRAY

"TRUE HAPPINESS IS IN THE HEART,NOT IN THE OUTSIDE FIXES!!"
WITH OVER 42 YEARS AS A MOTORCYCLE TECHNICIAN/HI-PO SHOP OWNER I AM A PURVEYOR OF FACT NOT FICTION!
"WE LIVE OUR LIVES IN CHAINS NEVER KNOWING WE HAD THE KEY"
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 08:43 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RACNRAY View Post

Does The wiring harness that comes with the bulb plug into the oem h/l bulb socket? And why did you remove the shield?

THANX
RACNRAY
Yes. No fuss no muss. As in the pic, the H4 connector plugs right into the oem socket.
I took the shield off because in the video reviews I saw, it drastically reduced the brightness and light spread.

RACNRAY'd Avon grips
Cobra Slip Ons
Infinity Speakers
K&N Filter
RAM phone mount
LED Headlight

This is my shield. I bear it before me into battle, but it is not mine alone. It protects my brother on my left. It protects my city. I will never let my brother out of its shadow nor my city out of its shelter. I will die with my shield before me facing the enemy.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 01:51 PM
Peg
Top Contributor

Garage
I use the same LED bulb - and feel the same way about it. It's a worthwhile upgrade if you want the whitest light possible.

The shield on mine is still in place though... It appeared to me that the design of the bulb meant there was no way to avoid blinding oncoming drivers if I took it off? I doubt the bike would pass inspection.

Paul (Peg) Elliott
New Plymouth, NZ. '10 Voyager 1700
'02 Nomad 1500(sold) '97 VN800B (sold)
2 Honda's, 2 Suzuki's, 1 Yamaha (all dead)
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 09:13 AM

how is the light output for distance ? does the beam flood out right infront of the bike or do you get good distance
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 11:39 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
I use the PIAA xtreme white bulbs in my running lights on the Voyager. They make the OEM headlight bulb look like an afterthought.

I know that HID lights turn night into day, but also blind oncoming traffic if you don't change the reflectors out or use projector lights.

I will consider the LED bulb when my headlight goes out. With the exception of my dual sport and the Guzzi, I always have a second source of lighting on all of my bikes. If the headlight goes I can still ride, plus it presents a better source of conspicuity for oncoming traffic

2010 Vulcan Voyager 1700 ABS, 2007 Vulcan Mean Streak 1600
2012 Concours 1400, 2011 Versys 650, 2012 KLX250S

see my garage for list of accessories
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 12:40 PM

Haven't had to replace one, single bulb on my 2001 1500 Classic yet. Am the original owner, too. However, when the H4 headlight bulb does go out, will order the Nokya H4/9003 Headlight Bulbs - Hyper Yellow 2500K 60/55W (Stage 1) from Amazon.

Already checked with Idaho vehicle code and consulted with Idaho State Police and they're legal. If illegal in your state then consider using them in spot lights. I don't ride at night too often and am more interested in the conspicuity or visibility of my motorcycle to other vehicles on the road. If you do tons of riding at night they might not be feasible for you.

Motorcycle Light Bulbs - Improving Visibility With Yellow Bulbs
http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/motor...ight-bulbs.htm

post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 01:54 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrdofh8 View Post
I have been putting HID kits in all my vehicles for years (so far my 99 Vette, wife's 12 Wrangler, my 12 Ram, my 09 Raider to name a few). I have never had a problem until I put one in my Vaquero. The output on low beam would intermittently flicker, even with a canceler in place. I tried replacing the bulb, the ballast, even the wire harness, nothing worked. Then last night on my way to work it just dies altogether.

Long story short, I had one of those new

(no ballast or crazy wiring, very plug and play) from xmas and had been waiting for a chance to put it in. Now I had a reason, lol. Here's the

if you're interested.

I after watching some install videos, I took the shield off the bulb before I installed it. The results were awesome! I get the same light output I did with HID, better light spread, and instant on (no waiting for the warm up period). And none of the crazy wiring mess.

Look into it if your thinking of upgrading from Halogens.

All lit up:

How many miles on your bike? Many of us have 50,000 or more miles on our 1700s.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 06:53 PM

Do these led have a cooling fan or is that not needed on these? If they get to hot will they shut down and turn off??
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 05:58 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
How many miles on your bike? Many of us have 50,000 or more miles on our 1700s.
I just got her this past September, barely over 2000 yet.

RACNRAY'd Avon grips
Cobra Slip Ons
Infinity Speakers
K&N Filter
RAM phone mount
LED Headlight

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode