Mileage on brake pads - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

Mileage on brake pads

OK - 2013 1700 ABS. Only got 17K out of the back pads, managed 22K on the fronts. What's typical? Also, the right side (looking forward) was down to the bone on the inside pad. The left side, both pads were next door to new. Thoughts back? Didn't see any reason for non-pad movement. Both calipers moved in/out pretty easily on dis-assembly. Easy enough to do, but I'm wondering why the left side still has so much meat on it compared to the right side. Oh, yeah. I did replace both sets. Last Q: got better pads than stock?

phatfranklin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 03:06 PM

I have a nomad 2009 with 43000 km on it and I never changed the pads. The back pads are like new (do not use the back break a lot) the front is about half gone. I checked them last weekend, very happy with mine.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 04:38 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by phatfranklin View Post
OK - 2013 1700 ABS. Only got 17K out of the back pads, managed 22K on the fronts. What's typical? Also, the right side (looking forward) was down to the bone on the inside pad. The left side, both pads were next door to new. Thoughts back? Didn't see any reason for non-pad movement. Both calipers moved in/out pretty easily on dis-assembly. Easy enough to do, but I'm wondering why the left side still has so much meat on it compared to the right side. Oh, yeah. I did replace both sets. Last Q: got better pads than stock?

phatfranklin
Yes there are better pads out there than stock.
I use "Galfer-Full Metalic Break Pads". Other brands make the same style but I chose Galfer because of the price. They do make a difference.
Galfer # FD107G1370 (front) $30.95 each set
# FD179G1370 (rear) $34.95

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 Vulcan Voyager ABS/ my "Blue Goose"
BIG 3 = PCV w/ Ign/Cobra Slip-ons/Thunder Air Kit
Kuryakyn "Longhorn Offset Highway Pegs"
Air Hawk2 seat cusion/Remote Control for house
National Cycle Fender Tips//Utopia Back Rest
Gorilla Alarm/Strebel Air Horn/14 in. Dark Shield
Kaw Rear Speakers/Galfer Break Pads
Garmin GPS, RAM mounted on break reservoir
Chrome Mug Holder/Extra Chrome/Wrapped Pipes
Flags and Mounts from "Rumbling Pride"
Dunlop SP5000 Car Tire /AMSOIL & Filter

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatfranklin View Post

phatfranklin
The Voyager ABS has linked brakes, the rear brake pedal activates the rear caliper and the right front caliper, the front brake lever activates all 3 calipers.
From the wear you are experiencing I'd say you are over-using your rear brake control, if you were to apply more front brake control all 3 brakes should wear more evenly.

Garry

2009 Voyager ABS:
Sold at 679,465 kms
Improve handling, suspension and tire life
with Garry's Fork Brace.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 12:02 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gv550 View Post
The Voyager ABS has linked brakes, the rear brake pedal activates the rear caliper and the right front caliper, the front brake lever activates all 3 calipers.
From the wear you are experiencing I'd say you are over-using your rear brake control, if you were to apply more front brake control all 3 brakes should wear more evenly.
I'm getting the same wear pattern, but at a higher mileage, I now have almost 24,000, but will be replacing the pads soon, and will do all of them at once along with a fluid change. Mines a 2012 bought new in july of 13. as for wear, more back roads, heavier loads, more hills, and harder braking will all wear pads quicker.

2005 800 classic
2012 Voyager ABS
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2015, 09:57 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
50,000 miles on the oem pads. Mostly use engine braking. Never in a hurry when I am cruising on the Lazyboy Voyager.

2010 Vulcan Voyager 1700 ABS, 2007 Vulcan Mean Streak 1600
2012 Concours 1400, 2011 Versys 650, 2012 KLX250S

see my garage for list of accessories
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2015, 03:44 PM

2012 VV w/ABS 23K miles
Frnt & Rear pads are at aprox 50% 2 up riding 30% of these miles. I suspect you are using way to much brake.

As for replacement pads that's a personal choice can go with harder pads which will last longer but wear the disc sooner, go softer and they can feel sponge or stay with OEM.

You might want to also change your brake fluid, I know Kaw says every 2 years and your there mileage wise, you will notice a more positive braking action.

Present rides
1983 Honda Shadow VT750 - Harley Killer
1987 Yamaha Venture Royale
2005 Yamahe V-Star - Yarley
2012 Kawasaki Voyager - Weeping Angel
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 03:04 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
I expected to change my fronts at 18K miles when I did the front tire. Still plenty of meat left on them, but I do a lot of engine braking and mostly highway miles which don't have a lot of stops. I'm almost up to 23K and need to take a peek again to see if they're any closer to needing replacement. I went with EBC double H - part #FA158HH Obviously can't comment yet on how well they do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kevin W
STL Missouri
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode