New Voyager - What do I need?????? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Kap
Lifetime Premium

Garage
New Voyager - What do I need??????

I just purchased a new 2013 Voyager (blue/black version). I really liked the 2013 colors and the fact that I got a great deal on it doesn't hurt either.

Help me out, what do I need to get? What are some of the best farkles that can be added to make the bike even better than it is now?

Personal opinions and specifics are welcome.

Kap

2010 Classic LT - Imperial Red & Metallic Titanium ("
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
")

Friends tell me I need to get in shape. Round is a shape, isn't it?

Last edited by Kap; 01-12-2015 at 11:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 01:33 PM

Adding the rear speakers is a must in my opinion. Still bugs me that Kawasaki make that an after market add on. Then the 30 pin iPod control cable and a cheap iPod that just stays in the glove box unless I have it out to add music. I never listen to anything else now.

Also very pleased with the Wolo dual horns (and relay!) addition. MUCH louder horn option that only sets you back around $50.

AtlAggie

2010 Vulcan Voyager 1700
2009 Vulcan 900 Classic LT (Traded after 18,500 Miles)
SCRC # 009067, VROC # 32735
Road Captain & 1st Officer, SCRC Chapter 09 - North Georgia
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 01:38 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
To Do:
Make sure the antenna is tight. It likes to fall off. Mine fell off on my way home from the dealer.

I added a metal license plate frame on mine because the plates I was issued were cracking around the mounting bolts.

Optional Farkles:

A good GPS or waterproof phone case + power.

If you're good at math and aren't OCD you'll probably be fine with the speedometer being up to 10% off. It bugged me enough that I added a SpeedoDRD module so my shown MPH is true enough that I can depend on it. Most people probably don't care though, that at 70 indicated you're really only doing 67 or less (and wondering why you're getting glared at).

I like my V&H twin slash pipes. Probably a little louder than I wanted but they also look and sound great overall.

I also put on an EJK/Bully style tuner and did the RacnRay Throttle mod. While the throttle mod is a questionable upgrade for me, the tuner definitely helped cool the engine down under certain situations without any adverse affect on mpg.

I also put on a trunk rack as much for looks as anything else. I may strap something small on there but chances are if I'm that loaded for a trip I'm just going to hook my trailer up and toss everything in it. I usually have a solar battery pack on the trunk rack in case I need to charge a phone and don't want to turn the key to ACC to get power to the accessory plug.

Lots of folks recommend wrapping your pipes to keep the heat off your legs. I haven't done it yet so I can't give an opinion on whether or not it's worth it.

My next upgrade will probably be a bluetooth->stereo adapter so I can can listen to music from my phone without having to run an extra cable.

Things I wish I had, some of which are just too expensive: Saddlebag covers, fairing bra, heated grips, CB kit, passenger speakers, better cup holder, louder horn.

Have fun riding that machine! She'll get you anywhere you want to go that's paved!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kevin W
STL Missouri

Last edited by sandcrawler; 01-12-2015 at 01:39 PM. Reason: AtlAggie reminded me about the horn, YES!!

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 05:20 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
The first thing you need to do is schedule 2 weeks vacation and spend money on gas and lodging.

Get to know the bike. That will determine what you "need".

2010 Vulcan Voyager 1700 ABS, 2007 Vulcan Mean Streak 1600
2012 Concours 1400, 2011 Versys 650, 2012 KLX250S

see my garage for list of accessories
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 05:22 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlAggie View Post
Adding the rear speakers is a must in my opinion. Still bugs me that Kawasaki make that an after market add on. Then the 30 pin iPod control cable and a cheap iPod that just stays in the glove box unless I have it out to add music. I never listen to anything else now.

Also very pleased with the Wolo dual horns (and relay!) addition. MUCH louder horn option that only sets you back around $50.
I'm glad I didn't have to pay extra for something I didn't need. Not sure how well I would hear the rear speakers in my modular helmet.

The intercom was a must for me. I hear the hi tones through them and the low tones through the bike speakers. I can quietly talk with my little princess when she rides on the back.

Is there such a thing as a cheap iPod?

2010 Vulcan Voyager 1700 ABS, 2007 Vulcan Mean Streak 1600
2012 Concours 1400, 2011 Versys 650, 2012 KLX250S

see my garage for list of accessories
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 05:56 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Got my last 16gb ipod at Gamestop for $45 with 1 year warranty. Have over 2100 songs and still have over 5gb of free space. You can buy song or load your own to itunes then the ipod. Mirror extenders were a must for me. Plan on replacing your rear tire around 6,500 miles, keep an eye on it. Your mpg will increase as it gets broke in, if all stock, should get around 40mpg. This can vary where and how you ride. Once you get your 1st oil change at 600 miles, getting into the throttle a little bit seems to help with rings sealing quicker, some have reported oil use during the 1st few thounsand miles, this helps prevent that.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

2005 800 classic
2012 Voyager ABS
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Kap
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlAggie View Post

Thanks for the comments. I was on the edge about the rear speakers. I found a set for a fair price, so I ordered them today. I already have a budget iPod I use, I guess I should invest in some more tunes.

I'll look at horn options...

Kap

")

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Kap
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandcrawler View Post
To Do:
Make sure the antenna is tight. It likes to fall off. Mine fell off on my way home from the dealer.

I added a metal license plate frame on mine because the plates I was issued were cracking around the mounting bolts.

Optional Farkles:

A good GPS or waterproof phone case + power.

If you're good at math and aren't OCD you'll probably be fine with the speedometer being up to 10% off. It bugged me enough that I added a SpeedoDRD module so my shown MPH is true enough that I can depend on it. Most people probably don't care though, that at 70 indicated you're really only doing 67 or less (and wondering why you're getting glared at).

I like my V&H twin slash pipes. Probably a little louder than I wanted but they also look and sound great overall.

I also put on an EJK/Bully style tuner and did the RacnRay Throttle mod. While the throttle mod is a questionable upgrade for me, the tuner definitely helped cool the engine down under certain situations without any adverse affect on mpg.

I also put on a trunk rack as much for looks as anything else. I may strap something small on there but chances are if I'm that loaded for a trip I'm just going to hook my trailer up and toss everything in it. I usually have a solar battery pack on the trunk rack in case I need to charge a phone and don't want to turn the key to ACC to get power to the accessory plug.

Lots of folks recommend wrapping your pipes to keep the heat off your legs. I haven't done it yet so I can't give an opinion on whether or not it's worth it.

My next upgrade will probably be a bluetooth->stereo adapter so I can can listen to music from my phone without having to run an extra cable.

Things I wish I had, some of which are just too expensive: Saddlebag covers, fairing bra, heated grips, CB kit, passenger speakers, better cup holder, louder horn.

Have fun riding that machine! She'll get you anywhere you want to go that's paved!
I'll check the antenna this weekend and I have a nice plate frame to use when the plates arrive.

I use a Garmin Zumo 390LM so I can use the optional TPSM feature. I love it and plan to mount it this weekend as well. I've gotten so use to having tire pressure display as I ride, it's hard to ride without it now.

This is my 4th Kawasaki, I think all their speedos all off. Isn't that what the GPS is for?... LOL...

I'm going to play with the radio/iphone once I get the cables in (already ordered). What I would like is for music to push thru the speakers via iPod cable and the phone to ring in my helmet via a Sena system. Without the cables, I can't test that process but it should work. If it works, I think I'll run a phone adapter cable from the left box to the handlebar and put the phone next to the left grip. That's what I did on previous bikes:

Thank you for the other comments as well. Love the solar charger thought. As for the exhaust, I think the bike is loud enough as it is (I'm not one for noise), so I'll take my time on exhaust mods. I was looking at the throttle mod and will do that, but only if I do new grips. That one is also on the "not yet" list....

I want saddlebag covers I think. Being a "round" guy, the boots are going to touch the top of the bags, I know it's going to happen. I'll see what brands are out there and then move. I really think pads would be best, anyone know of pads (used TechSpec on my Concours).

Kap

")

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Kap
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick View Post
Got my last 16gb ipod at Gamestop for $45 with 1 year warranty. Have over 2100 songs and still have over 5gb of free space. You can buy song or load your own to itunes then the ipod. Mirror extenders were a must for me. Plan on replacing your rear tire around 6,500 miles, keep an eye on it. Your mpg will increase as it gets broke in, if all stock, should get around 40mpg. This can vary where and how you ride. Once you get your 1st oil change at 600 miles, getting into the throttle a little bit seems to help with rings sealing quicker, some have reported oil use during the 1st few thounsand miles, this helps prevent that.
Mirror extenders.... Geez, I need those. I watched my arms the entire way home from the dealer. On that tonight!

Thank you for the info on tires/oil. This is just what I need to know. Much appreciated for sure.

Kap

")

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Kap
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
The first thing you need to do is schedule 2 weeks vacation and spend money on gas and lodging.

Get to know the bike. That will determine what you "need".
It looks like this won't happen until this summer and two weeks for my work isn't even possible. But I'm working on a week-long one....

Kap

")

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode