Where do I get an ECU flashed to add power? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-21-2014, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Where do I get an ECU flashed to add power?

I just got my 2010 Nomad 1700 so have only about 25 miles on it but know it is capable of more HP. Looking at the specs, the motor is water cooled, a shorter stroke compared to most big twins and has four valve heads. It should rev quicker and breathe better than it's competition yet it's on par with the 2 valve long stroke motors that are air cooled. Look at the Guzzi California 1400 as an example of what the 1700 motor could be putting out. Any way is there a go to place to get an ECU re- flashed or is there a better route to go? I don't want loud pipes, this bike is for highway touring and they just wear you down and piss people off. Thanks for any help , Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-21-2014, 09:16 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Never heard of anyone reflashing the ECU, but many use the Power Commander V to remap the fuel and you can get it with ignition tuning, I understand advancing the timing really helps. To be done properly, you should have it dyno tuned, but there are a few here who will share their maps with you, but most have also added pipes and intake. EJK, Gman, and Bully are all the same, let you tune fuel as you ride, and have giving many good results on tge 1700s. Do a search for for them and you should find several threads. I use the Gman with 2 baffles drilled and am happy with it. With the catalitic converters still in place, not loud at all, but gives a mild increase in sound on my 2012 Voyager.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

2005 800 classic
2012 Voyager ABS
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 01:21 AM

if you want power you need to address the exhaust first as it is holding these things back
i have the power commander with ign which helped a lot
Flashing the ecu, well you need to find some one who knows what there doing and knows the 1700
i would do the power commander and free the exhaust up it will get up and go then you dont need to go to loud pipes

2010 voyager
v/h performance pro pipe with quieter muffer
pcv with ign
individual gear mapping
auto tune
commander 11 rear tyre
2 inch risers
Allycat air intake

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 09:59 AM
Lifetime Premium

Flashing the ECU can do many things for performance and other aspects such as fan operation, etc. Companies like Flash Tune and ECU Unleashed are leaders in flashing ECU's, BUT you must provide them with an ECU for them to hack into, read the codes and develop maps. Most usually like to have a skoot on a dyno to facilitate this process.

My guess is that with any business those companies must first ascertain if the time spent in the process (which btw is extremely time consuming) developing new maps will be profitable in terms of having future orders.

Flashing is extremely popular on the sportbikes we work on so there is a market, how many cruiser owners will be willing to send their ECU out and what will be the actual gains for the cost?

The 1700's respond tremendously to intake and exhaust mods and you don't have to go to extremely loud exhausts to achieve good gains. The 1700 is a very mildly tuned engine with ALOT of potential even after intake and exhaust mods are done, but it'll require goin into the engine to extract what's there. I have 69,000+ mls on my Vaq and at times I romanticize the notion of pulling the engine and doin it up, heck just yesterday I was thinking about how much of an overbore the cylinders will handle.

With these thoughts I must remind myself this is the skoot I ride 98% of the time and when I want to experiences mo power, I jump on my Busa.

My Vaq made about 66 H.P. and 79 pnds torque stock, last time on my dyno this past summer it was at 85 H.P. and 105 pnds. This is somewhat representative f the gains these 1700's can make, and many of the 1700's I have had on my dyno or have heard numbers from other 1700 owners, it's not uncommon to see 80+ H.P. and 100+ pnds torque.

RACNRAY

"TRUE HAPPINESS IS IN THE HEART,NOT IN THE OUTSIDE FIXES!!"
WITH OVER 42 YEARS AS A MOTORCYCLE TECHNICIAN/HI-PO SHOP OWNER I AM A PURVEYOR OF FACT NOT FICTION!
"WE LIVE OUR LIVES IN CHAINS NEVER KNOWING WE HAD THE KEY"
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 08:47 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
My voyager pulls like a tractor. Never felt the need in 50,000 miles to change the engine performance. Front suspension performance on the other hand needed improvement. I could dump thousands on this bike and it would still pale in comparison to my concours 1400.

2010 Vulcan Voyager 1700 ABS, 2007 Vulcan Mean Streak 1600
2012 Concours 1400, 2011 Versys 650, 2012 KLX250S

see my garage for list of accessories
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACNRAY View Post
Flashing the ECU can do many things for performance and other aspects such as fan operation, etc. Companies like Flash Tune and ECU Unleashed are leaders in flashing ECU's, BUT you must provide them with an ECU for them to hack into, read the codes and develop maps. Most usually like to have a skoot on a dyno to facilitate this process.

My guess is that with any business those companies must first ascertain if the time spent in the process (which btw is extremely time consuming) developing new maps will be profitable in terms of having future orders.

Flashing is extremely popular on the sportbikes we work on so there is a market, how many cruiser owners will be willing to send their ECU out and what will be the actual gains for the cost?

The 1700's respond tremendously to intake and exhaust mods and you don't have to go to extremely loud exhausts to achieve good gains. The 1700 is a very mildly tuned engine with ALOT of potential even after intake and exhaust mods are done, but it'll require goin into the engine to extract what's there. I have 69,000+ mls on my Vaq and at times I romanticize the notion of pulling the engine and doin it up, heck just yesterday I was thinking about how much of an overbore the cylinders will handle.

With these thoughts I must remind myself this is the skoot I ride 98% of the time and when I want to experiences mo power, I jump on my Busa.

My Vaq made about 66 H.P. and 79 pnds torque stock, last time on my dyno this past summer it was at 85 H.P. and 105 pnds. This is somewhat representative f the gains these 1700's can make, and many of the 1700's I have had on my dyno or have heard numbers from other 1700 owners, it's not uncommon to see 80+ H.P. and 100+ pnds torque.

RACNRAY
Now that's what I'm talking about! How exactly can I get 80 hp and all that torque? I rode my bike today and am thinking it has the baffles already modified, seems a little loud for stock to me, it has the stock air filter though. I was checking out the Cobra tuner based on it looks like a simple plug in and go deal, but will the gains be there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode