Air Shocks - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

Air Shocks

I'm only 5'6' and about 160 lbs. What's the best psi on my 2011 Nomad 1700 shocks that would make it lower enough so I can put my feet flat on the ground. Right now seating on the bike I have my heels a little raised about couple of inches. Leg pushing the bike is no problem but I would have more control if I have both feet flat on the ground. I asked the dealer before delivery to put it on the lowest setting. They set II on the damper. What's the lowest psi on the air shocks safe enough I can set it too? Recommendations anyone? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 12:13 PM
Peg
Top Contributor

Garage
You can safely run any psi in your shocks between 0 and 42. Use a zero loss pump if you can, and never a compressor.

However - in my experience there will be no difference in the ride height no matter what psi you use sorry. For lower height you'll need to install aftermarket shocks.

Paul (Peg) Elliott
New Plymouth, NZ. '10 Voyager 1700
'02 Nomad 1500(sold) '97 VN800B (sold)
2 Honda's, 2 Suzuki's, 1 Yamaha (all dead)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 02:11 PM

I am 5-7 and even running 0 psi I cannot put both feet flat on the ground

2009 1700 Nomad
Candy Diamond Red/Pearl Luster Beige
Light Bar

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 11:34 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Have copied this from another forum I'm on, but looks interesting. Havent done it myself.

May I interject a technique used by myself and old Harley riders? Purchase a set of monroe air shocks for a 70 model corvette. Either by the larger id bushings for the top or drill out the bushings. These shocks are 14 inch extended and will drop to 10 inch(a little low but looks cool while parked). You can add a small 12 volt compressor in the side cover as long ass you don't have ABS. This system works great on my 2012 voyager and the wife loves the smooth ride. Just saying for less than $150.00 air ride.

2005 800 classic
2012 Voyager ABS
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-03-2014, 01:10 AM
Peg
Top Contributor

Garage
And also from another forum:

Thread starts:
Is there any interest in a rear lowering link for all Vulcan 1700's? We developed one and are considering retailing it. Simple bolt on, no modifications. Installation takes about 10 minutes total on a 1700 Vaquero. Use your factory air shocks for a plush ride. Would come with all hardware and instructions to bolt on. Lowers rear end 3/4". Does'nt sound like much but makes a pretty dramatic difference in seat height feel. I have a 30" inseam and the 1700's feel tall to me. With this link I am flat footed. Drop the forks down in the clamps 5/8" and feels even better. Again, Vaquero requires no modification. 1700 Voyager and Nomad use a different saddlebag and the bag support does require modification to clear the different lower shock mount. We can do that as well and ship new modified supports or you can send yours for an additional charge. Retail price will be in the area of $139 plus $10 shipping in the U.S.

P.S. Don't believe what you read about shorter shocks. They make the ride unbearable for your passenger and harsh for the driver as well.

Made by http://www.luvernekawasaki.com/

Paul (Peg) Elliott
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-03-2014, 12:15 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peg View Post
You can safely run any psi in your shocks between 0 and 42. Use a zero loss pump if you can, and never a compressor.

However - in my experience there will be no difference in the ride height no matter what psi you use sorry. For lower height you'll need to install aftermarket shocks.
You noticed no difference in ride height? How did you measure this? There will certainly be a difference in laden ride height when you add air to the shocks. They won't compress as far with 40 PSI in them compared to zero.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 01:47 AM
Peg
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
You noticed no difference in ride height? How did you measure this? There will certainly be a difference in laden ride height when you add air to the shocks. They won't compress as far with 40 PSI in them compared to zero.
Correct... I noticed no difference in height whatever the psi setting. I set my shocks for the road surface & the load while I'm moving - and certainly not for comfort while my feet are on the ground.

If there is a height difference available with adding or subtracting psi's, it's extremely minimal, and surely not worth adjusting the shock pressure or risking the ride quality or handling for?

Paul (Peg) Elliott
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 06:21 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Correct... I noticed no difference in height whatever the psi setting. I set my shocks for the road surface & the load while I'm moving - and certainly not for comfort while my feet are on the ground.

If there is a height difference available with adding or subtracting psi's, it's extremely minimal, and surely not worth adjusting the shock pressure or risking the ride quality or handling for?

The rear suspension travel is only about 3 inches. Where you will notice the difference is when you take on a passenger or load the bike down or ride a rough road or lean the bike over in the curves. The added pressure will help keep the suspension from bottoming out and keep the bike level as you add more weight to it. It will also allow you to lean over more before the floorboards scrape. If you carry a passenger, do this experiment: have zero psi in the shocks and put all your weight in the seat.
Notice what you are looking at as you look at the top edge of the screen.
Have the passenger board the bike and notice that you are now looking through the screen instead of over it to see that same object.

Add some air to the rear shock and now with you and the passenger on board you can now see that object at the top edge of the screen again.
This keeps the geometry and handling of the bike consistent as you change the load.
When riding solo, the additional air give the bike a better ride on rough roads.
I've written a lot on this little smart phone so excuse me for any misspellings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode