Can Nomad rear shocks be rebuilt? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-27-2014, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Can Nomad rear shocks be rebuilt?

I started looking onto replacing my rear shocks based on a thread that RacNRay started a while ago. Ray told me that his shocks came from Works Performance. I thought their price for their Street Trackers was high until I checked with Kawasaki - the Works Performance shocks are a bargain at around $600 a pair depending on which product.

My question is this - has anyone ever had the rear shocks on their Nomad 1700 rebuilt? Works Performance offers this service for around $60 to $100, which sounds a lot better than new shocks. Any thoughts or comments? PS - My title should have read "...be successfully rebuilt?".

Patriot Guard Rider
Taps Bugler - Bugles Across America
Sons of the American Legion

I spent most of my money on wine, women and motorcycles. The rest I wasted.

Last edited by RogerE; 11-27-2014 at 11:51 AM. Reason: added the word successfully to title
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-27-2014, 12:21 PM
Peg
Top Contributor

Garage
I successfully rebuilt the shocks on my '02 Nomad, and there doesn't look to be much difference to the Voyager shocks... (They're on the "to do" list).

Instructions are on Gadget's site.

However if your shocks are not holding air, the seals can't be replaced. Best option then is aftermarket, but that price from Works Performance (I'm assuming that's each shock?) sounds pretty good, and would definitely be worth a shot.

Paul (Peg) Elliott
New Plymouth, NZ. '10 Voyager 1700
'02 Nomad 1500(sold) '97 VN800B (sold)
2 Honda's, 2 Suzuki's, 1 Yamaha (all dead)

Last edited by Peg; 11-27-2014 at 12:23 PM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-28-2014, 08:42 AM
Lifetime Premium

Changing the oil in the shocks is not considered "rebuilding". I also changed the oil in my Vaquero shocks and that helped for awhile. What frustrated me was the lack of rebound dampening (even when the skoot was relatively new I had the rebound all the way to #4) AND the fact the shocks never held air for a decent period. Once a week without fail I would have to add air.

So earlier this year I had Works Performance make a set of shocks. Now the skoot rides and handles better than it did when new.

Contact Tim at works, good guy to work with. I believe the standard 'street trackers' is what I have ,bout $560.00 for the pair.

RACNRAY

"TRUE HAPPINESS IS IN THE HEART,NOT IN THE OUTSIDE FIXES!!"
WITH OVER 42 YEARS AS A MOTORCYCLE TECHNICIAN/HI-PO SHOP OWNER I AM A PURVEYOR OF FACT NOT FICTION!
"WE LIVE OUR LIVES IN CHAINS NEVER KNOWING WE HAD THE KEY"

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-28-2014, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RACNRAY View Post
Changing the oil in the shocks is not considered "rebuilding". I also changed the oil in my Vaquero shocks and that helped for awhile. What frustrated me was the lack of rebound dampening (even when the skoot was relatively new I had the rebound all the way to #4) AND the fact the shocks never held air for a decent period. Once a week without fail I would have to add air.

So earlier this year I had Works Performance make a set of shocks. Now the skoot rides and handles better than it did when new.

Contact Tim at works, good guy to work with. I believe the standard 'street trackers' is what I have ,bout $560.00 for the pair.

RACNRAY
Thanks for the feedback, Ray. I also found the air feature on the stock shocks to be just about useless. I plan to go with the Works Performance shocks.

Patriot Guard Rider
Taps Bugler - Bugles Across America
Sons of the American Legion

I spent most of my money on wine, women and motorcycles. The rest I wasted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode