Winter Storing - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-26-2014, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

Winter Storing

Just got my 2011 Nomad 1700 delivered, now sitting in my unheated garage. The owner's manual says to take out the battery and keep indoors. Then on the other pages it showed that batteries discharge faster on warmer temp. and stays pretty much 100 percent when cold. My garage temp. goes down to 5- 7c but never below 0. I probably wont be riding until sometime April next year, unless of course we get a break and get a dry sunny day from this wintry weather. Would a battery tender hooked up the whole time ok? It also said on the manual that if the bike is left sitting for a few months, just the clock which is constantly running can drain the battery.
Any advise from experienced Nomad owners? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-26-2014, 09:54 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2013 Voyager
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Pearl White/Titanium
Not a Nomad owner but right now we have 3 Vulcans in my unheated garage 99-800a, 02-1500 mean streak, 2013 voyager ALL plugged into Battery Tender brand maintainers. In the basement on Battery Tenders are the batteries for the boat and camper. Been using these maintainers for about five years now and the only problem I've ever had is when my son doesn't plug his in and it sits too long most of the time we plug it in and over night it's ready to go I like the fact that the lights on the maintainer tells you it doing its job
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-26-2014, 11:19 PM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 500
Displacement/CC's: 500
Color: Red
Plus 1 on the battery tender. It's fine to leave it hooked up all winter long---in fact---
recommended!

1999 Suzuki GZ250
1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 500
2004 VStar 650

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-27-2014, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

Red face

How much amp recommended for the tender? Mine is a 2A maintainer with a power light and a charging light. The charging light goes off as soon as the battery reaches 100%. The manual says the small cable on the side of the bike is for accessories. Is this where you hook up the charger? The end plug looks similar. This is the first winter this bike will sit in my unheated garage. By the way, if you unhook the whole battery, would that affect the meters' datas: like clock, rpm, odometer, etc? Do you have to set these all up again when you put the battery back in the summer? Thanks again for all your inputs. Much appreciated.

Last edited by 007chacoy; 11-27-2014 at 09:27 AM. Reason: add more lines.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-27-2014, 10:38 AM
Top Contributor

How much amp recommended for the tender?
2 a max. Less is better.

if you unhook the whole battery, would that affect the meters' datas: like clock, rpm, odometer, etc? Do you have to set these all up again when you put the battery back in the summer?

yes

JJ

'97 Valkyrie Tourer '06 Stratoliner Midnight '09 V2KLT

NOT a member of an organized religion
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-27-2014, 11:08 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2013 Voyager
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Pearl White/Titanium
Unhooking and/or removing battery will effect the clock but will not effect odometer, speedo. Just make sure you are using a battery maintainer NOT a trickle charger. The difference being a trickle charger will not self regulate the amperage needed to maintain a charge it will continue to charge and eventually overheat the battery and boil it dry effectively overcharging the battery and rendering it useless... batterytender.com for info and the cheapest place I have found is Batteries Plus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode