So Torn on which fuel processor for the Vaquero - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-20-2014, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy So Torn on which fuel processor for the Vaquero

I have been torn over getting the Power Commander V or the Cobra FI2000 Power Pro.*

I really like the idea of the Cobra auto tuning itself 80 times a second. I don't plan on going outrageous with performance mods. I am looking to do the V&H slip ons, A K&N filter for now with stock air box until at some point I put an aftermarket air cleaner.*

With the PCV I have to worry about getting the mapping just right, and having to take it to a Dyno tuner which will set me back about another $325.00. And if I want to add something down the line, the Dyno tuning will be worthless. Any input on experiences with the PCV and the Cobra Power Pro will be appreciated. I am looking to pull the trigger right before Xmas. Thanks guys.

2014 Vaquero ABS SE
Candy Burnt Orange

2004 Vulcan 1500 Classic "Sasha" (SOLD)
2014 Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE "Candie"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-20-2014, 02:21 PM

There is a similar thread running on this.

Bottom line, if you want it perfect, then it has to be PCV and Dyno.

Auto tune modules, where I am at least, have a pretty bad reputation for being sketchy. They are a great idea, but if they did what they were supposed to do, then all the race teams would be using them, and no one would bother with a dyno map any more, however in reality, from the people I've spoken to when researching this, they leave a lot to be desired.

2005 Harley Davidson Road King
2015 Harley Davidson Softail Deluxe
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-20-2014, 03:50 PM
Lifetime Premium

BOTTOM LINE...Cobra claims the power pro can re-tune itself to accommodate any and all mods, present and future and that is basically IMPOSSIBLE!!! The p/pro has absolutely NO CAPABILITY to analyze the air/fuel ratio (which can only be done by sampling the exhaust gas with a wide band sensor) It is just an electronic accelerator pump. Few months back I did a 1700 that came in with a p/pro installed. It was running extremely rich indicating the unit was supplying the engine with too much fuel. With the addition of a BAK, PCV w/ignition and a custom map on my dyno, he gained a lot of mpg !!!

The PCV w/ignition timing allows me full access to altering the a/f ration and foolin around with the ignition timing (the cobra unit has no capability to alter ignition timing). With the PCV's range of adjustments in a/f ratio, also being able to tune each cylinder individually, and ignition timing alterations you will not get a better, smoother runnin skoot that can also get great mpg.

The different versions of the Power Commanders have had me spoiled for years, the PCV is the best.

RACNRAY

"TRUE HAPPINESS IS IN THE HEART,NOT IN THE OUTSIDE FIXES!!"
WITH OVER 42 YEARS AS A MOTORCYCLE TECHNICIAN/HI-PO SHOP OWNER I AM A PURVEYOR OF FACT NOT FICTION!
"WE LIVE OUR LIVES IN CHAINS NEVER KNOWING WE HAD THE KEY"

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-20-2014, 03:55 PM

A fuel processor is in my future, as well. I've no personal experience to share, but from the research of this forum, there is a manufacturer called EJK. It seems those who have tried it like it. It is adjustable, but no dyno is needed. It seems more user friendly to set up. Probably not quite as precision as a PCV, but still very helpful. Do a search here or check out their site.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-20-2014, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

I hear you Ray. I tend to agree with you. I think I am going with the PCV fuel only. I am not going to mess with ignition timing. I think AFR is more important for my application. I just want the bike running optimum with the minimal mods I am doing. If I get an intake, I am sure I can find someone with a map that will get me in the ballpark without having to get the bike flogged on the dyno for an extra pony.

If I am not satisfied I will run down to your shop and have you dial it in on the dyno.

2004 Vulcan 1500 Classic "Sasha" (SOLD)
2014 Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE "Candie"
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-20-2014, 05:50 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeynut52 View Post
I hear you Ray. I tend to agree with you. I think I am going with the PCV fuel only. I am not going to mess with ignition timing. I think AFR is more important for my application. I just want the bike running optimum with the minimal mods I am doing. If I get an intake, I am sure I can find someone with a map that will get me in the ballpark without having to get the bike flogged on the dyno for an extra pony.

If I am not satisfied I will run down to your shop and have you dial it in on the dyno.
TRUE...the a/f ratio is always the most important aspect of fine tuning an engine, BUT.....

Get the PCV W/ignition timing capability anyway, it is only bout $20.00 more. You DO NOT have to play with timing at all, leave the ignition map alone, but believe me spending that extra $20.00 to have the option of messin with ignition timing at a later date is well worth it.

The way these 1700's respond to timing is very noticeable in overall driving quality.

RACNRAY

"TRUE HAPPINESS IS IN THE HEART,NOT IN THE OUTSIDE FIXES!!"
WITH OVER 42 YEARS AS A MOTORCYCLE TECHNICIAN/HI-PO SHOP OWNER I AM A PURVEYOR OF FACT NOT FICTION!
"WE LIVE OUR LIVES IN CHAINS NEVER KNOWING WE HAD THE KEY"
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 05:08 AM

My '09 Nomad has the V&H pipes, an Alley Cat air cleaner, and USED TO have the Powrpro. Under hard acceleration it was fine, but in a normal, varied ride it was absolute rubbish! The worse bit, for me, was when slowing on the approach to a bend or roundabout and then accelerating into the turn....it became a lottery as to whether or not I'd actually get that acceleration and if so, when!

I now have the PCV and have a obtained a couple of maps from a guy on here called David Sheek. One is balls-out performance and one is a little leaner for more economical riding. She is a different bike, my friend! I can stick it in 6th gear and still accelerate from 30mph without having to change down. Corners are an absolute joy, and I have so much more confidence in the bike!

Ultimately it's your choice, but having tried both, my choice is clear!

Good luck!
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 05:21 AM

I am glad to at last have someone agree with me, especially Ray as he really knows his stuff.
As far as the timing thing; I know these engines run hot, and have an increased risk of ping when hot. The timing is retarded a lot when engine temp goes up, which saps power. I personally would concentrate on having it run cooler rather than playing with the timing, but that's only my view. I would however pay the extra 20 bucks in case I needed to adjust timing in the future.
Most important take it to someone with a dyno that knows what they're doing.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 02:41 PM

go the pcv with ign you will never look back
you can also add more to it if you want in the future ,you can also add auto tune with a wide band sensor and gear mapping in the future all of which is easy to do '
the pcv is very user friendly if you like to tinker yourself

2010 voyager
v/h performance pro pipe with quieter muffer
pcv with ign
individual gear mapping
auto tune
commander 11 rear tyre
2 inch risers
Allycat air intake
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 04:38 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Well dang, there's nothing else I can add.
They're all right on.
Let me know if you need any help.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 Vulcan Voyager ABS/ my "Blue Goose"
BIG 3 = PCV w/ Ign/Cobra Slip-ons/Thunder Air Kit
Kuryakyn "Longhorn Offset Highway Pegs"
Air Hawk2 seat cusion/Remote Control for house
National Cycle Fender Tips//Utopia Back Rest
Gorilla Alarm/Strebel Air Horn/14 in. Dark Shield
Kaw Rear Speakers/Galfer Break Pads
Garmin GPS, RAM mounted on break reservoir
Chrome Mug Holder/Extra Chrome/Wrapped Pipes
Flags and Mounts from "Rumbling Pride"
Dunlop SP5000 Car Tire /AMSOIL & Filter
Sponsored Links