Been putting this off, i can't believe it happened.... - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
Been putting this off, i can't believe it happened....

Well, as you all know I ride daily, unless there is ice on the ground (which is almost never in East Texas (75791).

Compound - is a fellowship of sober bikers (not a r/c or m/c) and we had our national meeting in Colorado Springs last week in august 1st week in september

and I had a week of vacation to burn and friends in Central Arizona I hadn't seen in 10 years.

A bro rode up from Shreveport on his '14 FLHXS street glide special and I got 'ol red ready and we decided to do an IBA 1000 mile less than 24 hour ride.

MODS:

performance:

PCV with ignition (with quite a bit of advance)

had Racnray's coolant mix and throttle mod, and fan switch

took off the 6 speed/stator cover and polished the housing

wrapped pipes/v&h slip ons

tornado air kit, throttle body gasket

Comfort/style:

phat risers and roaringtoyz apes

iso grips, rays throttle mod

corbin young guns

bagger shield

phone mounted between risers using otterbox belt clip

pin striping

Had a car tire on my vaquero 195/60 radial michelin
had just done brakes front/rear, flushed all coolants, rewrapped pipes and changed front tire and feelers under floorboards...new spark plugs and amsoil with k&n filter

bike was strong at 84hp and 104tq

I weigh 250, my buddy probably 100lbs heavier than i am...several times on our trip his antiquated harley pulled away from me like I wasn't trying!!!! very similar setup and displacement, he had a supertrap 2into1 and heavy breather air cleaner with tuner -- his dyno numbers were a little better, i saw the sheet but don't remember exactly what it was...

we left Tyler TX at 3pm CST Friday and made it to meteor crater rest area near Flagstaff 24 hours later and were in Prescott AZ by 6p after a few stops... let me tell you that the sky in West TX and New Mexico is amazing at night! I played the Tuba in school and went through Tuba City - kinda nerdy i know

saw signs that said deer crossing, cow crossing, horse crossing, donkey crossing, buffalo crossing, bear crossing, and on and on.

My gear position indicator quit working and i was stalling at lights because it said i was in 1st but I was in 2nd or 3rd - fatigue was a real issue on the first leg of that trip...this was a concern but thanks to the forum i knew it was a simple fix and covered under warranty - which i still had 6 or so months left on

We hung out in AZ for a day, didn't sleep then headed out that evening to go through Sedona, and up into UT...stayed in Monticello Utah that nigh/morning, then rode all the way into Denver the next day....racking up miles!

When I got to Denver he needed to do a 5k service on his bike at the harley shop, and I needed my gear position indicator to get fixed, I also had some ticking noises like Ray had and wanted them to check that (could've been low oil from the high speed high altitude riding)

first and largest Kawasaki shop in the Denver area is near the Harley shop - figured, that works, my bro can get his 5k done, I can get my gear sensor fixed and we can chill and get some food with my lil bro *who works at the mazda shop next to the harley shop!

WRONG!

the kawasaki shop said they were busy and to try another dealership!

so I called the next one...they told me it was an expensive fix, that I would need to pull the motor, split cases etc...i called bs and asked to speak to the GM....she said that is what he told her...so I hung up

the third shop put me on perpetual hold and I never got anyone on the phone, then my father *the fair weather harley rider called.....i vented and he said why don't you trade the kawasaki on a "real bike"...i was already pissed and said, what you gonna pay the difference? he said yes! (it was a lie) but after a few days of looking and trying to get a new Road Glide, i ended up with a '14 flhx 19,500 for the harley, they gave me 9k for the kawi (i originally paid 11k for the kawi)...took delivery, picked up my ol lady from the air port and headed down to colorado springs for our national meeting on a new bike.....proposed to my ol lady the next day at garden of the gods after going up pikes peak for a wedding and road 1k miles home ...shoot took delivery on the streetglide 8/27 and have 5k on the odo already.

*********EDIT**************
now I had already had tons of trouble with the kawi...rear brakes came apart at 24k miles, had to replace everything (rotor, hanger, calipers etc...) not covered under warranty, replaced front wheel bearings 3 times in 38k miles - kawi refused to admit that was the issue with my "any speed" wobble...had kawi dealers say they fixed it by putting 45lbs of air in front tire and "remaping your power commander and replacing spark plugs"....because "your bike was pissing fuel ou the pipe" then try to charge me 700 dollars for all that unauthorized work because it wasn't covered under the warranty - bike still wobbled....also the paint looked hazy and terrible after 15 - 20k and took me a year to get them to replace that.

the streetglide handles much better than the vaquero, but i do miss the vaquero...

now the harley has already gone through 2 horns...so far that is the only problem and they have taken care of it no problem, I also got 2 additional years of warranty and 3 years of service included....did those instead of pipes, breather tuner....birthday is coming up! and 4 of my bros picked up 15 roadglides, 1 standard, 2 specials and 1 ultra CVO....they are sweet...likely my next bike unless Victory or Indian gets a better dealer network, and a better looking fairing....

here are some pics from the trip

right before we headed out

on the road

sedona

grand junction co

headed up pikes peak

me and the 'ol lady on pikes peak

garden of the gods

more pikes peak

on way home
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10616194_10204486268334985_6417746467417007531_n.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	96930   Click image for larger version

Name:	10406445_10204479176237687_6646514564831953450_n.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	96938   Click image for larger version

Name:	10645252_10204523880395263_4396547889664188109_n.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	96946  

traded the vaquero for a streetglide

Last edited by element80; 11-19-2014 at 01:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 06:13 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Don't forget to carry your title with you on all future trips. That way you can just trade it in instead of waiting on a fix.

That new bike needs some red pin striping. Congrats.

2010 Vulcan Voyager 1700 ABS, 2007 Vulcan Mean Streak 1600
2012 Concours 1400, 2011 Versys 650, 2012 KLX250S

see my garage for list of accessories
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 06:45 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Even though I could not find any actual reference to the gear indicator switch in the Kawasaki Service manual, I am assuming it is the switch that is in the same location where the shift lever goes into the transmission area. Does not look like you need to split the case or remove the engine to get to it at all. Granted you do need to take off a LOT of things to get to it.

I am assuming it is the electrical part the arrow is pointing to, similar to the one in the Yamaha Venture and same general location.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	96954  

Bubba in TX

2011 Voyager "Betty Clunker"

A bad day on a motorcycle is better than a good day in a car

Some people collect T-shirts
I actually ride

Voyager 1700 owners...
WRAP your pipes....
You will be glad you did...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
U.S.A.F. Retired

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Nye County Nevada
Motor Officer Retired
Blue Knights Texas 43

Last edited by Bubba in TX; 11-18-2014 at 06:49 PM.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 08:09 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Congrats on the new bike!
Oh yeah, on the engagement too!!!

Sounds like you've been wanting HD for a while; nothing is going to be right until get what you've got your mind set on.

HD will treat you right on the road. Not that a gear indicator should be that much of a problem. But still; the service is un-matched on two wheels.

I don't like a LOT of the attitude (that 'real bike' nonsense is nothing but SH*T!); but I could see myself on a Roadglide for the things they do right.

For now I'm happy with my naughty R3T and my nice Voyager.

Don't be a stranger,
Scott

2012 Voyager 1700 ---SOLD
Pearl Alpine White/Pearl Luster Beige
Nice

2011 Rocket III Touring
Phantom Black
Naughty

2016 Indian Roadmaster
Thunder Black

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 01:01 AM

your right on with the switch
had mine done last year and it took a good part of the day
new coolant and oil but didnt have to split the motor as such
new one is sticky as well which is a pain as i also have gear mapping and it picks up from the kawa sensor
hope you enjoy the new ride

2010 voyager
v/h performance pro pipe with quieter muffer
pcv with ign
individual gear mapping
auto tune
commander 11 rear tyre
2 inch risers
Allycat air intake
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 04:26 AM
Top Contributor

Element,

Great story, I'm glad it ended well for you. Congrats on the new bike and engagement!

2013 Honda CB1100
2008 Yamaha yz250f
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 08:17 AM
Lifetime Premium

Congrats!!!

"TRUE HAPPINESS IS IN THE HEART,NOT IN THE OUTSIDE FIXES!!"
WITH OVER 42 YEARS AS A MOTORCYCLE TECHNICIAN/HI-PO SHOP OWNER I AM A PURVEYOR OF FACT NOT FICTION!
"WE LIVE OUR LIVES IN CHAINS NEVER KNOWING WE HAD THE KEY"
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannonballs View Post
your right on with the switch
had mine done last year and it took a good part of the day
no joke? so they weren't lying to me lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_in_TX View Post
Congrats on the new bike!
Oh yeah, on the engagement too!!!

Sounds like you've been wanting HD for a while; nothing is going to be right until get what you've got your mind set on.

HD will treat you right on the road. Not that a gear indicator should be that much of a problem. But still; the service is un-matched on two wheels.

I don't like a LOT of the attitude (that 'real bike' nonsense is nothing but SH*T!); but I could see myself on a Roadglide for the things they do right.

For now I'm happy with my naughty R3T and my nice Voyager.

Don't be a stranger,
Scott
My ol lady said she saw it coming too...my main issue with harley has been the attitude of it's riders...you meet the nicest people on a honda though '=)

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Don't forget to carry your title with you on all future trips. That way you can just trade it in instead of waiting on a fix.

That new bike needs some red pin striping. Congrats.

lol thanks 2wheel

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RACNRAY View Post
Congrats!!!
thanks ray!

daughter and ol lady like the harley better...rougher suspension, more useable torque down low, gearing is about the same...easier for them to get on and off and they feel "more secure" or some shit....but the leg room for the mrs isn't as good, she used those saddlebag guards to reposition feet and stretch...i miss the power of the v but will get that back when i do the big 3...oh and ray, we're getting married March 7, 2015...thinking of heading to your neck of the woods

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
louisiana to arizona in 24 hours thats tx, nm, az....then az to denver in about 15 hours...overal did 6 states in 6 days

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode