Turnsignal Issues - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-14-2014, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Cool Turnsignal Issues

I rode for 18 months with no problems, then took a ride (hot, wet, and long) from FL to OH. On my way home the turnsignals quit working. Luckily my wife was in a cage behind me.

The dealer (thank goodness for free extended maintenance agreement) fixed it indicating wiring behind the headlight had corroded. They fixed it. I happened to ask if they did anything to stop it from happening again (they did not - expected from free extended maintenance agreement). Now 3 months later, they stopped working again.

Called the squealer and indicated about $200 to fix (no more free extended maintenance). Need to remove the fairing. Does anyone know if this is true. I do not want to pull the fairing if not required.

Some heat shrink tubing and electrical insulating paste will fix it right this time.

5 additional minutes and $5 would have made me a happy camper 3 months ago. What is wrong with Kawi's service etiquette.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-14-2014, 02:59 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Quote:
What is wrong with Kawi's service etiquette.
What service etiquette. They will tell you it isn't their job to stop it from happening again, just to fix it when it does.....

The closest dealer here in Texas is not even in the same league as the Kawa/Yama dealership I used in Nevada...

Bubba in TX

2011 Voyager "Betty Clunker"

A bad day on a motorcycle is better than a good day in a car

Some people collect T-shirts
I actually ride

Voyager 1700 owners...
WRAP your pipes....
You will be glad you did...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
U.S.A.F. Retired

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Nye County Nevada
Motor Officer Retired
Blue Knights Texas 43
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-14-2014, 11:03 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
If you happen to do this, perhaps you can post pix of the problem area for the rest of us. The fairing isnt hard to remove, I just did it to add an amp. Post 2 on this thread tells how its done. https://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/s...ht=amp+install

2005 800 classic
2012 Voyager ABS

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-16-2014, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor View Post
What is wrong with Kawi's service etiquette.
I'll tell you my little story, I got a nail in my back tire a couple of weeks ago, the tire had seen it's last mile anyway so I went to the local stealer to get a new one, The price on the tire was good, and since I bought the tire from there they were going to give me 20 off the install fee. Now they list $79 for a rear tire on the bike, and then a separate price for a touring bike, $145-165. When I talked to the service manager he quoted me $59 dollars with my 20 buck discount. I said for that price throw it on. So when he pulled me up in the computer to verify my info, he said "2010 Voyager" and I said "Yep" so I made my appointment and dropped my bike of a few days later. long story short when I went to pick the bike up the bill said $145 mount and balance. that was with the 20 buck off.......I asked what happened to the $79 dollar price I was quoted, and he told me, "Sorry, I didn't realize your bike had saddle bags that had to be removed.........they had the bike 3 days and could not ever give me a call and tell me that they made a mistake and find out if I wanted to pay that much to have the tire done........NO MORE BUSINESS at Two Jacks for Me!

Sorry just had to vent....lol

Pa-Toon-Ya
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-17-2014, 06:29 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Pulling the fairing is an easy step by step job.

But, if you had it fixed under warranty 3 months ago, I would recommend calling Kawasaki customer service and ask them to cover the fix since the dealer obviously didn't fix it right the last time.

2010 Vulcan Voyager 1700 ABS, 2007 Vulcan Mean Streak 1600
2012 Concours 1400, 2011 Versys 650, 2012 KLX250S

see my garage for list of accessories
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-17-2014, 03:57 PM

Just use lots of Vaseline. It doesn't hurt nearly as much.

2011 Voyager 1700
Ebony/Pearl Meteor Gray
Bridgestone Exedra Max tires in stock sizes
Kuryakyn Longhorn Offset Dually Highway Pegs
DEI Titanium exhaust header wrap
Polk Audio db521 speakers
Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40
Mobil 1 M1-110 filter
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-17-2014, 05:58 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outforit View Post
I'll tell you my little story, I got a nail in my back tire a couple of weeks ago, the tire had seen it's last mile anyway so I went to the local stealer to get a new one, The price on the tire was good, and since I bought the tire from there they were going to give me 20 off the install fee. Now they list $79 for a rear tire on the bike, and then a separate price for a touring bike, $145-165. When I talked to the service manager he quoted me $59 dollars with my 20 buck discount. I said for that price throw it on. So when he pulled me up in the computer to verify my info, he said "2010 Voyager" and I said "Yep" so I made my appointment and dropped my bike of a few days later. long story short when I went to pick the bike up the bill said $145 mount and balance. that was with the 20 buck off.......I asked what happened to the $79 dollar price I was quoted, and he told me, "Sorry, I didn't realize your bike had saddle bags that had to be removed.........they had the bike 3 days and could not ever give me a call and tell me that they made a mistake and find out if I wanted to pay that much to have the tire done........NO MORE BUSINESS at Two Jacks for Me!

Sorry just had to vent....lol
That is one of those iffy situations and possibly a moral dilemma. You knew what the cost was for a touring bike. You knew you had a touring bike, but you were hoping to take advantage of his stupidity and pay only $59 dollars. I guess that is why you paid the appropriate price in the end instead of making a stink about it. Don't see why you would do no more business with them when they clearly had in writing what the cost would be.
Now, if you didn't know that there was a different price for touring bikes and were quoted a price over the phone and for tire and install, I would expect them to honor that price unless of course you saw the sign when you pulled up. Then you would have the choice to accept it, leave, or other possibilities.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 07:46 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
That is one of those iffy situations and possibly a moral dilemma.
Personally, I would expect someone working at a bike shop to know enough to give a proper quote on changing a tire.

I would expect a bike shop to immediately call if the price was not to be as quoted.

...And finally, I would go absolutely bonkers if a bike shop took three days to change a tire.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 06:17 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatic View Post
Personally, I would expect someone working at a bike shop to know enough to give a proper quote on changing a tire.

I would expect a bike shop to immediately call if the price was not to be as quoted.

...And finally, I would go absolutely bonkers if a bike shop took three days to change a tire.
He never said the quote was in writing, and he indicated that he knew how much it was supposed to cost. To me that sounds like trying to take advantage or an inept employee. He should have talked to the owner or GM so that the employee could get a boot in the behind.

I agree about the 3 days. I've needed tires 3 times while on a trip and all 3 places jumped me to the front of the queue to get it done.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 08:10 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
He never said the quote was in writing, and he indicated that he knew how much it was supposed to cost. To me that sounds like trying to take advantage or an inept employee. He should have talked to the owner or GM so that the employee could get a boot in the behind.

I agree about the 3 days. I've needed tires 3 times while on a trip and all 3 places jumped me to the front of the queue to get it done.
I expect employees to be competent, and if they are not, that's a failure of the business and not my failure. I have enough trouble controlling my own actions much less those of other people.

I've had issues with my turn signal also. It seems to be on again/off again. I took it up to the dealership and they jumped right on it. Didn't make me wait at all. Checked the wiring. Ended up replacing a relay of some sort simply because they couldn't find fault with the wiring or switch. The problem still comes and goes on occasion, I just haven't taken the time to go back up there. I'm thinking in my situation it may be a flaky switch...

...and while I'm on it, removing the fairing isn't all that hard. Heck, I did it myself - how hard could it be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode