Classic stock pipes - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 02:06 AM Thread Starter

Classic stock pipes

Only thing I don't like about my bike is the wimpy sound the stock pipes make. Any and all advice on stock mods or aftermarket full-systems and slip-ons is appreciated. What have you all done to get your bike sounding good? Has anyone tried Highway Hawk slip-ons?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 08:30 AM

Send a message via AIM to Vulcan Hammer Send a message via Skype™ to Vulcan Hammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Live View Post
Only thing I don't like about my bike is the wimpy sound the stock pipes make. Any and all advice on stock mods or aftermarket full-systems and slip-ons is appreciated. What have you all done to get your bike sounding good? Has anyone tried Highway Hawk slip-ons?
How long have you had your bike? I found that the sound got a little louder and deeper with time.

Playing with the exhaust on the Classic can open you up to a whole lot of issues such as decel popping and the potential for a whistling exhaust.

If you are willing to risk modifying your mufflers and reducing their value (note that fully stock mufflers go for quite a bit on this model) you might consider the 1.25" diameter hole saw mod. There are two plates in the centre of the baffle tube that you can drill out from the back of each muffler.
Try just the first plate on each muffler first and see how you like it. This will not likely cause any added decel popping and it may just be loud enough for you...and remember, it will get louder with time.

If you want a little louder and deeper sound, you will need to drill out the next baffle plate in each muffler, but be careful, the Catalytic material is right behind the second plates. This is the riskiest plate to drill out as it has a tendency to fall into the muffler. The plate can be retrieved with a magnet and a lot of patience, but this necessitates removing and shaking the mufflers. There is also the risk of getting a whistling sound on decel by removing this second baffle plate. I got the whistling and so did at least one other forum member who did this mod. Most others who did this mod got no whistling, but then most of them owned Nomads, Voyagers or Vaqueros.

After drilling out the second baffle plate in each muffler you are likely going to notice more decel popping. A good adjustable fuel manager will help with this as you will need to add more fuel just off idle.

I didn't try aftermarket slip-ons or full exhaust, but those who did definitely had decel popping issues until they got a good fuel manager. Note that the "automatic" Cobra fuel manager is the least likely to help with the decel popping.

Hope this helps!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 12:56 AM

Garage
I have Cobra Exhaust on mine and do have the popping issues but have learned to control it somewhat. I really like the simple straight out pipes though and the sound is awesome. if you want wake the neighbors and keep the cagers on their toes I highly recommend these.

2009 Vulcan 1700 w/Cobra Exhaust

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 10:20 AM
Banned

Why is everyone so worried about it popping when you decelerate? It does not hurt anything and sounds sort of cool sometimes. It does annoy the neighbors if yours does it though. Put a glass marble into each emission hose on both sides of the bike then it can not pump air into the exhaust and should stop the popping on it. This is the fastest fix to eliminate the emissions without removing a lot of crap on the bike also.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 10:26 AM

Send a message via AIM to Vulcan Hammer Send a message via Skype™ to Vulcan Hammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkydoggy View Post
Put a glass marble into each emission hose on both sides of the bike then it can not pump air into the exhaust and should stop the popping on it. This is the fastest fix to eliminate the emissions without removing a lot of crap on the bike also.
Unfortunately, "Marbling" only works effectively on other Kawi models. It has next to no effect on the 1700 due to its unique design.

On the 1700 there is a single intake to the PAIR system located in the right side air box. I blocked mine and could not tell any difference. Only adding more fuel just off idle (with a fuel manager) will address the decel popping.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 12:37 PM
Top Contributor

I don't think slip-on are an option for the classic because the exhaust system is similar to the 900 classic and the 900 was one full piece. It's just a guess buy I'm sure these guys can confirm this for sure. If you do go with aftermarket exhaust and don't like the decel popping...spend the extra money and go with something like a pcv fuel management than a cobra fi2000r. The fi2000 IMO is a piece of shit and you'll play hell getting all the popping out.

2012 GREEN/BLACK VAQUERO

Kawi Quick release backrest
Kawi Passanger floorboards
Kawi Luggage rack
Klockwerks 9" windshield
Mustang Seat
Mustang pass backrest pad
Ipod adapter kit/Ipod
Black ISO Grip
Offset ISO highway pegs
PC5 W/ignition
Freedom Performance True Dual Exhaust
Altrimax HP 195/55/16 car tire.
Leather saddlebag chaps
Thunder mfg Tornado air intake
Thunder mfg Throttle Body Gasket
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehard rider View Post
I don't think slip-on are an option for the classic .
Cobra has Slip-Ons for the 1700 Classic and that is about all that is available in North America for the Classic (thru "normal" channels). There aren't that many full systems available either in comparison to other bikes.

However, I believe that there are a few other companies making slip-ons for the 1700 Classic in other parts of the world, such as Germany.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 05:43 PM

I have hard Chrome big threes on my classic with baffles removed. It is damn loud but I like it.

Current stable:
2009 VN 1700 Classic
2001 Kaw ZX12R
1983 Suzuki GS 1100E
1986 Goldwing 1200 Interstate
1984 Harley FLHT--rat glide
past rides:
1974 XR75
77 CB 550K
73 CB750
81 LTD 1000
83 XJ 750
83 VIRAGO 750
78 XS 1100
01 CBR 600
93 CBR 900R
01 1100 SHADOW
93 KATANA 600
79 KAW 750 TWIN
05 250 KTM
86 XL 600
plus many more
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-20-2014, 03:36 AM

I have drilled out baffles. not loud but a deep rumble. fuel controller is a must either way. I went the ejk and absolutly love it's adjustability.

I also put spacers on the left ahnd side air cover...a slight change.

decel popping can be tuned out. fuel controller is an essential part of these bikes to unlease the smooth torquey power...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode