New passing lamp bulb - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

New passing lamp bulb

Headed out to work yesterday and noticed my right passing lamp was out. I see there are a plethora of choices for the H8 bulb replacement, from 35 watt to 55 watt, to zenon, HID and LED. Has anybody replaced these with something brighter than the standard 35w halogen H8? I'm leaning toward the LED replacements.

2012 Vulcan Voyager ABS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 03:14 PM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2006 Kawasaki Vulcan
Displacement/CC's: 1500FI
Color: Ebony Black/Galaxy Silver
Garage
Exchanging an LED for a regular bulb requires more than just swapping bulbs.
I would suggest more research before swapping an LED bulb. In fact, if you go back with an LED you would probably be better off swapping both bulbs rather than mixing bulbs....

06 1500 Classic FI (Anniversary Edition)
Reward the truth, punish the liars...Ted Nugent
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 04:54 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Stoutman, Pasting a post I put in what I did to My vulcan Today.
I could not find any H8 bulb of 55 watts. Here is what I did to get 55 watts in each passing lamp. Silverstars, H11. really helped.
The post below.
Fixed a tinging sound I had developed a few weeks back once Brother-in-law with working ears helped me locate. It was under the bike on the freedom true duals shields. Also replaced the driving light bulbs with silverstars. One of the H8 bulbs had fried. 35 watt. I replaced with H11 bulbs. Anyone wants 2 55 watters in there this can be done if You modify 1 twist in tab on the H11 bulbs, My dremel worked well for this. Now I wait for darkness to see how they do.
Update. Nice white bright light. light at edges is much better too.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 06:35 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Not sure what a passing lamp is, but when one of my driving lights went out I replaced it with a PIAA Xtreme white bulb in the same wattage. Much brighter and whiter so I had to replace both bulbs to match. You can hardly see my headlight now.

2010 Vulcan Voyager 1700 ABS, 2007 Vulcan Mean Streak 1600
2012 Concours 1400, 2011 Versys 650, 2012 KLX250S

see my garage for list of accessories
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

Bought a pair of LED replacements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
I would suggest more research before swapping an LED bulb. In fact, if you go back with an LED you would probably be better off swapping both bulbs rather than mixing bulbs....
I bought a pair of LED H8 replacements, but also bought a standard 35W H8. I'll put in the LEDs oon both sides, but if they are not as bright I'll go back to the halogen bulbs.

I hesitate to put in 55 watt bulbs. I did that on my old Yamaha (H3 bulb) and they were not well tolerated by oncoming drivers.

2012 Vulcan Voyager ABS
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 06:14 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Quote:
Yes you can......exact replacement LED bulbs.... plug and play.....

I did the LED replacements about 8 months ago that was recommended in a thread about LED passing lights. They are not as bright as the halogen bulb, but I knew that, I wanted the bluish light it makes and you can actually see the light farther away (the oncoming traffic) From behind the handlebars looking forward... it is almost like not even having them on...

Saying that.. I am going to have to put the stock bulbs back in because most of the 30 or so LED segments in each bulb are no longer working or blinking constantly.........

I would not recommend them now that I have had them.... the Cree brand from China......

These..........

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	13.7 KB
ID:	95586

Bubba in TX

2011 Voyager "Betty Clunker"

A bad day on a motorcycle is better than a good day in a car

Some people collect T-shirts
I actually ride

Voyager 1700 owners...
WRAP your pipes....
You will be glad you did...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
U.S.A.F. Retired

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Nye County Nevada
Motor Officer Retired
Blue Knights Texas 43

Last edited by Bubba in TX; 11-09-2014 at 08:28 AM.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba in TX View Post
Yes you can......exact replacement LED bulbs.... plug and play.....

I did the LED replacements about 8 months ago that was recommended in a thread about LED passing lights. They are not as bright as the halogen bulb, but I knew that, I wanted the bluish light it makes and you can actually see the light farther away (the oncoming traffic) From behind the handlebars looking forward... it is almost like not even having them on...

Saying that.. I am going to have to put the stock bulbs back in because most of the 30 or so LED segments in each bulb are no longer working or blinking constantly.........

I would not recommend them now that I have had them....
Thanks Bubba. I found that the LED lights I bought exactly as you describe. A bluer light that seems more visible, but the bulbs are flimsy at best. First of all, the bulb socket seems to be built to the maximum material condition which makes them hard to seat in the bike wiring socket. Second, the bulb flanges that fit into the driving light housing are not a good fit, causing me to over torque one while putting it in, which broke the lamp.

So, I ended up with one new 35w halogen, and one flimsy LED replacement. This is an odd look for the bike at best, but I guess it helps get the attention of anyone looking. The bulbs I bought are: DBPowerŽ 2 PCS H8 30W Ultra Bright White Light Cree LED Bulb. My recommendation is to avoid this vendor. They are not quite up to standard on fit, finish, and durability.

I will try some other vendors and report the results.

2012 Vulcan Voyager ABS
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 10:28 AM

Kind of a funny story about replacing a driving light bulb....

I am definitely mechanically challenged when it comes to working on the bike, so when I had a bulb burn out, my first call was to my dealer. First of all, Kawasaki is VERY proud of the H8 bulbs they sell. Can't remember the price they quoted me, but it was high enough to send me straight to the Autozone for a generic H8.

Then when I asked the dealer how you replace the bulb, they told me you have to remove the fairing to get to it, and they quoted me two hours shop time to make the replacement! Luckily, a little research on this forum found you could access the bulb through the glove box, so I was able to change it myself in about 15 minutes.

AtlAggie

2010 Vulcan Voyager 1700
2009 Vulcan 900 Classic LT (Traded after 18,500 Miles)
SCRC # 009067, VROC # 32735
Road Captain & 1st Officer, SCRC Chapter 09 - North Georgia
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 11:09 AM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
ALtAggie.

The next time you talk to the service manager tell him for 120 bucks you can show him how to change the driving light bulbs in less than two minutes each with a Phillips screwdriver...

Bubba in TX

2011 Voyager "Betty Clunker"

A bad day on a motorcycle is better than a good day in a car

Some people collect T-shirts
I actually ride

Voyager 1700 owners...
WRAP your pipes....
You will be glad you did...

U.S.A.F. Retired

Nye County Nevada
Motor Officer Retired
Blue Knights Texas 43
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

Update on LEDs

The LEDs I bought are junk. One broke on install, the other died on the way home the next day. These are going back to Amazon.

Don't buy these: DBPowerŽ 2 PCS H8 30W Ultra Bright White Light Cree LED Bulb.

I ordered some Andoer Super Bright 80W H8 Osram LED Car Light plug and play replacements. When they get here I'll post my impressions of them. They are promoted as having the equivalent lumens of a 80 watt Halogen bulb, but the 800 - 900 lumens is about the same or a bit more than a standard 35 watt halogen bulb. I hope they are not to bright to use at night. When I put 55 watt halogens in my driving lights of my old bike they were not tolerated well by oncoming traffic. I mostly want to see if these are a robust product that can fit well and can take the vibration and other harsh environmental conditions found on motorcycles. If they give me more light and I don't get the high beam flash from oncoming drivers I'll be happy.

2012 Vulcan Voyager ABS

Last edited by stoutman; 11-07-2014 at 09:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode