Trunk Rack for Voyager - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

Trunk Rack for Voyager

Do anyone have the Custom World International trunk rack installed? http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/ar...rt/CWI-02-4302 How much weight the trunk rack hold?

Last edited by NLer; 11-04-2014 at 09:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 12:14 PM
Peg
Top Contributor

Garage
It's no so much how heavy a weight the rack will hold... It's how much weight you're prepared to put on the four mounting points in the ABS plastic lid. Kaw doesn't list a rack for the Voyager, probably through fear of claims for cracking around the mount points.

Having said that - I have a rack on mine. It's a copy of Yamaha's Venture rack, which provides a bit of support above & below the mounting points. I'm not familiar with the CWI rack.

Paul (Peg) Elliott
New Plymouth, NZ. '10 Voyager 1700
'02 Nomad 1500(sold) '97 VN800B (sold)
2 Honda's, 2 Suzuki's, 1 Yamaha (all dead)
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 01:41 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
I have a cobra rack on mine and have had 2 leather jackets, 2 light jackets and 2 fullface plus on the rack with no issues, 20-30lbs? Just because I have, am not telling you to.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	14 Vacation 096.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	95138  

2005 800 classic
2012 Voyager ABS

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLer View Post
Do anyone have the Custom World International trunk rack installed? http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/ar...rt/CWI-02-4302 How much weight the trunk rack hold?
I agree with Peg, it depends on how much weight you are willing to risk putting on your ABS plastic trunk lid.

I put the Cobra trunk rack on my Voyager, similar design as the CWI you are looking at but made from steel. The CWI is aluminum so it will be lighter. That means more payload, and also less stress you your cable that holds the trunk open. That is a weak point in my opinion. If you open the trunk and let it fall against the cable then the cable (or more likely the attach point) could fail over time.

I don't think I'll put more than the 10 pounds recommended on my Cobra rack, but that should be enough for my purposes. I like the shiny stuff so I put it on for looks as much as utility.

2012 Vulcan Voyager ABS
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 06:31 PM
Lifetime Premium

I have the Kuryakyn Multi-Rack on my Voyager trunk. The ABS plastic is so thin that it spider cracked at all four mountain points. The cable attaching point on the trunk failed also. What surprised me most was the the passenger back rest attaching points all failed. The pad pulled right out. Kawasaki claimed that the trunk was overloaded and therefore too bad. I reinforced the trunk lid with fiberglass. I put a claim in on the backrest attacking points but the dealer concentrated more on the other issues. IMO I think the dealer gets a kickback if they can write up a claim so as to give Kawasaki half an excuse to deny it. After all look how cheap they were to only clear coat the tank and nothing else. The rest of the paint is so thin that just about bird crap will chip it. I have a Triumph Thunderbird that is clear coated all over. I had a Honda VTX 1300 that was too. Probably the 3 yr warranty is worthless. Look at the trunk and saddle bags on other bikes, the ABS is a lot thicker giving them more strength. Live and learn. I'll never buy another Kawasaki product.

Last edited by Pilot747; 11-04-2014 at 06:38 PM.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 06:30 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
I have the showchrome rack for Goldwings on mine. Came with a matching bag where I put 2 sets of rain gear, bike cover, and small stuff in the two front pockets. Not much weight but saves space in the saddlebags.

I have a spare "new" trunk lid hanging on the wall just in case I ever crack it, but at 50,000 miles and no issues...

I am very careful how I open and close the trunk lid on the bike, and don't overload the interior of the trunk to put stress on the lid when latching. Clothes go in the trunk.

2010 Vulcan Voyager 1700 ABS, 2007 Vulcan Mean Streak 1600
2012 Concours 1400, 2011 Versys 650, 2012 KLX250S

see my garage for list of accessories
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 06:32 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot747 View Post
I have the Kuryakyn Multi-Rack on my Voyager trunk. The ABS plastic is so thin that it spider cracked at all four mountain points. The cable attaching point on the trunk failed also. What surprised me most was the the passenger back rest attaching points all failed. The pad pulled right out. Kawasaki claimed that the trunk was overloaded and therefore too bad. I reinforced the trunk lid with fiberglass. I put a claim in on the backrest attacking points but the dealer concentrated more on the other issues. IMO I think the dealer gets a kickback if they can write up a claim so as to give Kawasaki half an excuse to deny it. After all look how cheap they were to only clear coat the tank and nothing else. The rest of the paint is so thin that just about bird crap will chip it. I have a Triumph Thunderbird that is clear coated all over. I had a Honda VTX 1300 that was too. Probably the 3 yr warranty is worthless. Look at the trunk and saddle bags on other bikes, the ABS is a lot thicker giving them more strength. Live and learn. I'll never buy another Kawasaki product.
Sounds like someone overtightened the mounting bolts to me. The plastic is flexible instead of brittle like the plastics from 20 years ago. I do agree that the paint could be a LOT better though.

2010 Vulcan Voyager 1700 ABS, 2007 Vulcan Mean Streak 1600
2012 Concours 1400, 2011 Versys 650, 2012 KLX250S

see my garage for list of accessories
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 10:01 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Sounds like someone overtightened the mounting bolts to me. The plastic is flexible instead of brittle like the plastics from 20 years ago. I do agree that the paint could be a LOT better though.
Quite possible, but the passenger backrest pulling thru? Flexible or not, its still thin.

Last edited by Pilot747; 11-05-2014 at 10:06 AM.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 10:09 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
I have the showchrome rack for Goldwings on mine. Came with a matching bag where I put 2 sets of rain gear, bike cover, and small stuff in the two front pockets. Not much weight but saves space in the saddlebags.

I have a spare "new" trunk lid hanging on the wall just in case I ever crack it, but at 50,000 miles and no issues...

I am very careful how I open and close the trunk lid on the bike, and don't overload the interior of the trunk to put stress on the lid when latching. Clothes go in the trunk.
How did you come by a spare lid? From a wreck? I've been looking for one. The whole new trunk is $1300++
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 10:13 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Passenger pulling on the backrest while mounting the bike? Seems like the vibration dampers would make it unlikely for the backrest to pull through. I even have the tall backrest on mine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode