Motorhome lift that will carry Nomad 1700 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Motorhome lift that will carry Nomad 1700

We are now living and traveling full time in a Winnebago Journey 42E motorhome, flat towing our car. I have been looking at motorcycle lifts to carry our 2009 Nomad 1700 on the back of the motorhome. The issue that I am running into is that the Nomad is so wide and so low that there is a hard interference between the bike exhaust on the right side and the lift on all the lifts that I have looked at. I tried loading it onto a Hydra Lift this weekend, which is the largest one on the market, and it was a no go. At the minimum the tray that the bike runs into would need to be moved back and possibly back and up in order to clear the lift arms.

I would like to know if anyone out there has successfully used either a stock or a modified lift of any type to carry a Nomad 1700. PLEASE do not send me a list of lifts that you think might work. I am looking for someone who knows for certain based on owning and using a motorhome/lift combination. Thanks in advance for any help that you can provide.

Patriot Guard Rider
Taps Bugler - Bugles Across America
Sons of the American Legion

I spent most of my money on wine, women and motorcycles. The rest I wasted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-08-2014, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerE View Post
We are now living and traveling full time in a Winnebago Journey 42E motorhome, flat towing our car. I have been looking at motorcycle lifts to carry our 2009 Nomad 1700 on the back of the motorhome. The issue that I am running into is that the Nomad is so wide and so low that there is a hard interference between the bike exhaust on the right side and the lift on all the lifts that I have looked at. I tried loading it onto a Hydra Lift this weekend, which is the largest one on the market, and it was a no go. At the minimum the tray that the bike runs into would need to be moved back and possibly back and up in order to clear the lift arms.

I would like to know if anyone out there has successfully used either a stock or a modified lift of any type to carry a Nomad 1700. PLEASE do not send me a list of lifts that you think might work. I am looking for someone who knows for certain based on owning and using a motorhome/lift combination. Thanks in advance for any help that you can provide.
The first Hydralift that I tried to load onto was a 2007 model. I found another motorhome owner today that has a 2011 model mounted on his coach. The 2011 model has a different style tray that the wheels of the bike run into (bolted on instead of welded, and lighter construction). We were able to successfully load my Nomad onto his lift, although the clearance on the right side is very close. There are two places where the bike comes very close to the lift - the front mount for the driver's floorboard, and the front part of the exhaust shield on the right exhaust pipe.

I plan to contact Hydralift on Monday to see if it is possible to have the tray mounted further rearward on the lift. Another inch or so would make a big difference in getting the bike onto the lift. I'll post an update when I have more information.

Patriot Guard Rider

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 09:18 AM

Hey RogerE, We live full time on our 43' Allegro Bus. We have a OverBuilt lift. Over the last 10 years that we have been traveling full time this lift has worked with a 2003 Yamaha Roadstar 1600, a 2006 Nomad, a 2009 Yamaha Venture, a 2011 Voyager and now a 2012 Nomad. I've never had any problems with clearance even with my Cobra Tri Ovals on the last two bikes.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 10:54 AM
Banned

Wouldn't it be much safer to haul your bike on a trailer behind the RV? I would be scared the lift would crack someplace and then I would see the bike rolling behind me at some point destroying itself. I think the weight of a big bike would snap it off after taking a lot of bouncing down the highway.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 12:56 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2012 Kawasaki Voyager ABS
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Pearl White/Pearl Luster Beige
I was going to say the Overbuilt lift too. I have a friend that used this for a few years, but abandoned it due to part/servicing issues and availability. He has since gone to a pull behind trailer and is much happier. He can also carry all of his riding gear in the trailer instead of in the coach. Just food for thought.

2012 Vulcan 1700 Voyager ABS
Pearl Polar White/Pearl Luster Beige
w/Neosho F/G Model 19 Starlight trailer

Many years and models of dirt bikes(50cc to 250cc)
Honda CB 350 (197?) wore it out
Honda GL500 SilverWing (1983) sold
Honda GL1500 SE GoldWing (1995) sold
Suzuki S40 650 (2007) sold
Honda Shadow Ace Tourer 1100 (1998) sold
Yamaha VStar 950 (2012) traded

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one. Live long and prosper.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 09:36 PM
Peg
Top Contributor

Garage
I think the OP said they were already towing a car? I think that might rule out towing anything else, unless maybe he upgrades to a truck with a bed big enough for the 1700 instead of the car?

Paul (Peg) Elliott
New Plymouth, NZ. '10 Voyager 1700
'02 Nomad 1500(sold) '97 VN800B (sold)
2 Honda's, 2 Suzuki's, 1 Yamaha (all dead)
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 10:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peg View Post
I think the OP said they were already towing a car? I think that might rule out towing anything else, unless maybe he upgrades to a truck with a bed big enough for the 1700 instead of the car?
Okay I did not catch that in the beginning of the thread. I would then upgrade to a trailer with a longer tongue on it and a platform built on the front over the longer tongue for the bike to ride sideways on the trailer in front of the car.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 06:50 AM

He said he is flat towing a car,not a trailer.A overbuilt for sure.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkydoggy View Post
Okay I did not catch that in the beginning of the thread. I would then upgrade to a trailer with a longer tongue on it and a platform built on the front over the longer tongue for the bike to ride sideways on the trailer in front of the car.
The problem with pulling a trailer with the car and motorcycle in or on it is when you get to a campsite. Most campsites throughout the country are barely big enough to put a 40"+ motorcoach and a tow car on. A lot of resorts we go to if you have a trailer too, you are renting another site just for the trailer, not good. Now there is an upside to having a trailer, your bike stays nice and dry and clean. On the lift they do get a little dirty. But, that's what car washes are for. Now if your just going from point A to point B, staying 6 months or so at a time in each, don't mind staying in truck stops or rest areas along the way and don't mind paying for trailer storage after you get to your destination, then a trailer is a good option. But there is one other option. Get a pickup truck 1/2 ton will do, get an EZ Load ramp and put the bike up in the pickup. My brother has the EZ Load Motorcycle Ramp and it's really awesome. I've even thought about going to this. Go to their website, they're really cool!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 07:18 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.G View Post
The problem with pulling a trailer with the car and motorcycle in or on it is when you get to a campsite. Most campsites throughout the country are barely big enough to put a 40"+ motorcoach and a tow car on. A lot of resorts we go to if you have a trailer too, you are renting another site just for the trailer, not good. Now there is an upside to having a trailer, your bike stays nice and dry and clean. On the lift they do get a little dirty. But, that's what car washes are for. Now if your just going from point A to point B, staying 6 months or so at a time in each, don't mind staying in truck stops or rest areas along the way and don't mind paying for trailer storage after you get to your destination, then a trailer is a good option. But there is one other option. Get a pickup truck 1/2 ton will do, get an EZ Load ramp and put the bike up in the pickup. My brother has the EZ Load Motorcycle Ramp and it's really awesome. I've even thought about going to this. Go to their website, they're really cool!
You are quite correct in all respects. Our coach is 44 feet long and we need to be selective about what parks we go to. I have looked at the pickup bed carriers, but I just can't talk my wife into a pickup truck. A trailer is not practical for us because we do a lot of traveling in the summer months. A big trailer is OK if you just move from north to south for the winter, as an example, but is impractical for changing locations frequently. A trailer big enough for the bike and the car would also make us longer than the legal length in all but a couple of states and all of Canada. We are already at 65 feet towing our Buick Lucerne, and that is overlength in many states.

Patriot Guard Rider

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode