Head is spinning...and 6 inches of snow in WNC. - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-01-2014, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Head is spinning...and 6 inches of snow in WNC.

Not much going on in WNC since the surprise 6" of snow on the ground. Got my nose buries in these forums. However, the more I read and learn, the more confused I get. I'm talking about MODS. Now, the only Mod I have done on my 2012 Vulcan Nomad, because it was a clear ( black and white ) winner on this forum, is Racin Rays throttle MOD. A no brainer-everyone agrees that is works great, and it does. Here is where is gets ugly for me-

Tires-which are the best? What size and brand are the best for front and back? MC tire or CT(Car tire) for rear? I've read so much but haven't gleaned a clear answer for myself.

Air filter MOD with Power commander? I've read where folks swear by them. My local mechanic at the shop where I bought the bike said "You will pick up some performance, but sacrifice some performance too". He said leave it alone. Make sense?

Bottom line is I am looking to optimize my bikes over all ride. I am no mechanic, I am not a fast rider ( although I would like to move quicker off the line, and I live in the mountains where twisties are a plenty).

Any black and white solutions for the above questions based on my riding style and where I ride? Thanks in advance.

BTW - just read Racin Rays Franken MOD- ugh! Ray, have you no limits??? I may just have to plan a vaca to south Florida!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-01-2014, 11:01 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Tires and oil are both a personal prefers thing. The Commander II in a 180/65/16 is the popular replacement for the rear of the Voyager and Vaquaro to replace the stock 170/70/16. The air mod will give you a better top end but you may loose a bit on the bottom, however if you use the PCV with ingition and have it tuned proper, you can gain in all rpm ranges. You also have the options with this controller to tune for each gear and each cylinder for even better performance and mpg.

2005 800 classic
2012 Voyager ABS
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-01-2014, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick View Post
Tires and oil are both a personal prefers thing. The Commander II in a 180/65/16 is the popular replacement for the rear of the Voyager and Vaquaro to replace the stock 170/70/16. The air mod will give you a better top end but you may loose a bit on the bottom, however if you use the PCV with ingition and have it tuned proper, you can gain in all rpm ranges. You also have the options with this controller to tune for each gear and each cylinder for even better performance and mpg.
Thanks Rick! So, with a PCV with ignition, you suggest no loss in performance-just gain. As far as the air mod, what do you recommend? Thanks!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-01-2014, 12:34 PM
Lifetime Premium

Slip-ons, a good quality BAK AND proper tuning will yield power gains thru out the powerband with no sacrifices. MPG will also be improved.

If you don't want the expense of a BAK then a replacement K&N filter is better than the stock filter.

The Commander 2's can't be beat for mileage and handling, I have no experience with c/tires so I can't comment on that.

RACNRAY

p.s...thanx for the comment on my throttle mod, glad you like it!!

"TRUE HAPPINESS IS IN THE HEART,NOT IN THE OUTSIDE FIXES!!"
WITH OVER 42 YEARS AS A MOTORCYCLE TECHNICIAN/HI-PO SHOP OWNER I AM A PURVEYOR OF FACT NOT FICTION!
"WE LIVE OUR LIVES IN CHAINS NEVER KNOWING WE HAD THE KEY"
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-02-2014, 06:41 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Thanks for the info Ray!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-02-2014, 05:05 PM
Lifetime Premium

Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017

Year/Make/Model: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic
Displacement/CC's: 903
Color: Silver
Garage
Six inches of snow, man that takes me back. Friday a cold front came through and dropped the night time down to 48 degrees. Saturday the high was 74 with a slight breeze so YES I went on a nice long ride. But sorry to hear about your snow.

"As long as I have the voices in my head, I'll never ride alone."

2006 Vulcan 900 classic
Mustang Day Tripper seat
Cobra Light Bar
Cobra Air Scoop
Cobra short sissy bar
Cobra Lowers
Baron's front and rear pulley
Baron's Big and Nasty pipes
Leatherlyke hard bags
Blue Superbrites LED accent lights
Chrome Woo Loo Air Horn
Avon Grips
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 05:36 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFISH View Post
Six inches of snow, man that takes me back. Friday a cold front came through and dropped the night time down to 48 degrees. Saturday the high was 74 with a slight breeze so YES I went on a nice long ride. But sorry to hear about your snow.
LOL-Ouch!

Crazy weather in these mountains-70 degrees the weekend before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode