Clutch Head Scratcher - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-31-2014, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
Clutch Head Scratcher

Rode the Voyager to work this morning every thing worked like a clock as usual. When I got off this afternoon I let it warm up while I was gearing up for the ride home like I always do got on the bike pulled in the clutch kicked down into 1st and the bike lurched forward and died. Repeat, same result so I got off and looked everything over. Plenty of fluid in the reservoir, no visible leaks any where so I ran the adjuster all the way out and tried again. It worked well enough for me to make it out of the parking lot so I headed home. Once on the road I noticed the clutch lever had almost no tension to it at all. Up shifting pulling in the leaver seemed to help a little not much but down shifting was a no go period! I had to match my rpms so it would go into a lower gear. Finding neutral was impossible so I had to hit the kill switch at stops and start in gear.

When I got it home and up on the jack with the cover plate off still no obvious problems. I had planned on bleeding the line this weekend any way so that was my 1st step. After the second triple squeeze release the clutch lever firmed up so I thought "YES" just a little air but I have never had one act quite like this before. After finishing the fluid change there is no change in the clutch. While still on the jack I started the bike pulled in the clutch and dropped it in 1st same result it went into gear like no clutch had been applied and died. After this happened I checked the oil and it was well over the range marks on the dip stick. I thought I had done something wrong so I checked it 2 more times and it was the same. After 30 minutes it was still at 3/4 of the range. I checked it 2 days ago and it was in the middle or at 1/2 on the range.

This is a 2009 Voyager 1700 with 25,000 miles on it. I have owned it since last December and have put just over 3000 miles on it in that time.

Any body heard of anything like this on a 1700?

10 Voyager
01 1500 Drifter
VRA Central Alabama Chapter 1-61

Last edited by TS Tinker; 10-31-2014 at 06:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-01-2014, 10:01 AM
Banned

A piece of dirt in the master will cause this problem but most likely a pit in the cylinder is the culprit. Take the master off and pull it apart then see if it needs honed out to clean it up then put a rebuild kit in it. That should get it back to normal operating for some time to come again.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-01-2014, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkydoggy View Post
A piece of dirt in the master will cause this problem but most likely a pit in the cylinder is the culprit. Take the master off and pull it apart then see if it needs honed out to clean it up then put a rebuild kit in it. That should get it back to normal operating for some time to come again.
I had it fixed and didn't know it. When I went out and looked at it this morning I realized that after changing the fluid and trying it out I had left the kick stand down(duh huh). I have had hydraulic clutch problems before but none acted like this.

Inkydoggy, you may be right about the cause so just in case I will add a bottle of fluid and some tubing to my on board tool kit for a while. It makes no sense to me that an air bubble can travel that far down hill. The reservoir was over 2/3rds full and the fluid was only slightly discolored so I don't think it came from there.

10 Voyager
01 1500 Drifter

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-02-2014, 09:58 PM

Check the kick stand safety switch it may need adjusted.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-02-2014, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by skorepeo View Post
Check the kick stand safety switch it may need adjusted.
The stand switch is working fine. It's the switch between my ears that has the rust on it.

10 Voyager
01 1500 Drifter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode