Clutch issue VN 1700 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Clutch issue VN 1700

Hi!
I read in a forum here in Sweden about some owners of VN 1700:s having problems with clutch slave cylinders sticking.
Seems like there's water and dirt collecting behind the cover over the cylinder, causing the piston and the cylinder to stick. The result is a clutch that won't engage fully when you release the handle..........
Kawasaki doesn't seem to have a fix for this problem yet, but the fix recommended on this forum is to hone the cylinder out, clean the piston of the slave cylinder and reassemble it with a rubber membrane in front of the cylinder when putting it on the engine again.
The membrane is made to fit in the cylinder, in front of the piston as I understand it, and is held in place by beeing in between the cylinder and the housing.

Don't know if anyone of you has had this problem, but if so perhaps this might be of some use

--------------------------------------

Kawasaki VN 1700 Classic Tourer -10

Nobody knows everything, but everybody knows something
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 08:57 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2009/Kawasaki/Voyager 1700
Displacement/CC's: 1700
I have experienced this with my '09 VV 1700

I cleaned it out and sprayed the inside with wd40, wiped off the excess and reassembled. No problems for the last 30,000 miles since, I have made cleaning this out as part of my maintenance now...
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

Yes, that sounds like a good idea, cleaning it out periodically.
I will have to look into that on my own bike, preferably before it becomes a problem!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 04:11 AM

Garage
hi, where is this cover? sounds interesting. and how hard is it to do? my clutch feels like it slips once in a while.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windbreaker View Post
Hi!
I read in a forum here in Sweden about some owners of VN 1700:s having problems with clutch slave cylinders sticking.
Seems like there's water and dirt collecting behind the cover over the cylinder, causing the piston and the cylinder to stick. The result is a clutch that won't engage fully when you release the handle..........
Kawasaki doesn't seem to have a fix for this problem yet, but the fix recommended on this forum is to hone the cylinder out, clean the piston of the slave cylinder and reassemble it with a rubber membrane in front of the cylinder when putting it on the engine again.
The membrane is made to fit in the cylinder, in front of the piston as I understand it, and is held in place by beeing in between the cylinder and the housing.

Don't know if anyone of you has had this problem, but if so perhaps this might be of some use

Windbreaker, could you provide more information on this membrane, please? The slave cylinder has to go through the pulley cover, so no room for a membrane around the outside. And the clutch push rod needs to contact the piston so there must be a hole in this membrane for it to pass through. Maybe the membrane just sits in front of the piston inside the cylinder bore?

Garry

2009 Voyager ABS:
Sold at 679,465 kms
Improve handling, suspension and tire life
with Garry's Fork Brace.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

Garry!
I'm afraid I don't have any further information about that membrane. Just read about the problem in a forum in Sweden, and the owner of the bike had it repaired at a local shop where the mechanic had come up with this idea to hone the cylinder out a bit to get it real clean, and then he had made some kind of membrane and put it in/on the cylinder to prevent dirt from entering again.
I now have taken a look in my repair manual to try to get an idea how he could have done it, but as you say the slave cylinder goes through the pulley cover and seems to
be quite open on the inner side "behind" the cover. If dirt collects behind the pulley cover I guess it may enter into the cylinder, but any membrane has to be fitted to stay inside the cylinder itself I guess? I am definately going to take a closer look at this on my own bike cause it seems to have a potential to give problems to the clutch.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 04:14 PM

Is it a rubber boot / bellows that slips over the piston/pushrod?

2011 Voyager 1700
Ebony/Pearl Meteor Gray
Bridgestone Exedra Max tires in stock sizes
Kuryakyn Longhorn Offset Dually Highway Pegs
DEI Titanium exhaust header wrap
Polk Audio db521 speakers
Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40
Mobil 1 M1-110 filter
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba in TX View Post
It is a dust cover. It is supposed to keep crud out of the cylinder sleeve. Item E. Just check it for cracks.... if it is cracked replace it. Keep soapy water off of it. It dries out rubber. Spray it with silicon after washing with soap in that area.

Attachment 64745
You are showing the master cylinder, Windbreaker was referring to the slave cylinder which has no such dust cover.

Garry

2009 Voyager ABS:
Sold at 679,465 kms
Improve handling, suspension and tire life
with Garry's Fork Brace.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 07:55 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
OK.. never mind... I have not had that apart yet... previous post deleted...

Bubba in TX

2011 Voyager "Betty Clunker"

A bad day on a motorcycle is better than a good day in a car

Some people collect T-shirts
I actually ride

Voyager 1700 owners...
WRAP your pipes....
You will be glad you did...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
U.S.A.F. Retired

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Nye County Nevada
Motor Officer Retired
Blue Knights Texas 43
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 09:29 PM
Top Contributor

Yea I've read about the problem awhile back and the boot some folks have fabbed up to try and fix it. It appears Kawa left it open where muddy debris can get into the slave area.

It sounded like if you ride in muddy wet conditons, it was only a matter of time not if it will happen.

I imagine once we all get it apart (when it happens to us) we will see more of what kind of rubber or vinyl boot we have to fit it there. Does sound like Kawa dropped the ball on this design. We could hold our breath for a recall (lol) or just plan on fixing it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode