LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-19-2017, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2002 Vulcan 500
Displacement/CC's: 500
Color: Maroon
Garage
Opinions wanted

Been looking at accessories all day, trying to find a few things. With Christmas coming up, the only things I can think of are for my bike. Please be specific with your advice.

Grips. Looking for something comfortable and vibration reducing. Please provide brand and model number. I'm having a hard time figuring out which ones will actually work on this bike with no modifications.

Cell phone mounts. Leaning towards the ram universal x grip. I have a Samsung note 5.

Tank bag. I think I can probably put a 13" long bag without covering up the idiot lights, but looking for advice from people who have used them, brand, model. I'll probably use a tank bag in addition to saddle bags, so I can put the important stuff in it and carry with me.

I'm also open to suggestion on any gear, accessory, etc that you think should be standard.

Edited: would also like opinions on alternatives to sena systems that don't cost the 2 arms, a leg and an ear.

'02 Vulcan 500 -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Venom831; 11-20-2017 at 07:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-19-2017, 11:01 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 1997 Vulcan LTD
Color: Black
Garage
Grips: Kuryakyn ISO Grips with Throttle Boss. 1" version https://www.kuryakyn.com/products/33/iso-grips

Cell phone mount: I am using the x-grip from Ram on a trial basis. So far it has done well.

Tank bag: Chase Harper. I forget the exact model but the 1150 series seems similar: Chase Harper TankBags It does cover the 'idiot' lights though so I made a second set of lights on the dash panel behind the windshield.

For longer rides consider a driver's backrest. I use a Pro-Tac. www.protac.net
A throttle lock will relieve pressure on your right wrist/arm/hand. Vista Cruise is popular and reliable. Get the 1" version.
Consider a windshield bag/pouch to hold those small items you want to keep immediately at hand.
Some kind of highway pegs are helpful to relieve pressure from the lower back. I have some installed but don't remember the model information. I think they are for a Honda.

Hope this helps.

--
'Biker' Bill
'97 EN500LTD 'Hidalgo' 208,000+ miles so far
'98 EN500LTD 'Sioux' 19,000 miles so far
VROC #3833 IronButt #6024
Levelland, TX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-19-2017, 11:42 PM
Premium Member
BOTM Winner
June 2016

What are you using the cell phone for? If it's for mapping, I'd suggest going with a Bluetooth speaker setup in the helmet instead. I bought a cell phone mount off Amazon that snapped the first time I tried to mount it. I picked up another of a different brand from a bike store and it broke, too. I have a Sena headset that I listen to music through and discovered that Waze (the mapping app I use on the road because it also gives police alerts) talked through the Bluetooth headset, which was pretty cool.

I wouldn't trust my cell phone to a smallish clamp on the handlebars knowing how fragile they can be any more.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-19-2017, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerbill View Post
Grips: Kuryakyn ISO Grips with Throttle Boss. 1" version https://www.kuryakyn.com/products/33/iso-grips

Cell phone mount: I am using the x-grip from Ram on a trial basis. So far it has done well.

Tank bag: Chase Harper. I forget the exact model but the 1150 series seems similar: Chase Harper TankBags It does cover the 'idiot' lights though so I made a second set of lights on the dash panel behind the windshield.

For longer rides consider a driver's backrest. I use a Pro-Tac. www.protac.net
A throttle lock will relieve pressure on your right wrist/arm/hand. Vista Cruise is popular and reliable. Get the 1" version.
Consider a windshield bag/pouch to hold those small items you want to keep immediately at hand.
Some kind of highway pegs are helpful to relieve pressure from the lower back. I have some installed but don't remember the model information. I think they are for a Honda.

Hope this helps.
So from what I understand, on these kuryakyn grips, I'm not replacing the whole thing, just the outside part, but keeping my stock "throttle tube" that my throttle cables connect to? I am looking at part 6240 if I read what you said right. I looked at them before, and Avon too, but had trouble understanding.

The x grip/claw was same I was looking at, seemed decent, they make quality products.

That tank bag looks huge! Coincidentally, I've been looking at the 450m from Chase Harper. Chase Harper 450M Magnetic Tank Bag

The backresr, throttle lock, windshield bag, and highway pegs are good advice. What kind of stuff do you keep in your windshield bag? I'm going to look at another windshield tomorrow that a local guy is selling, for $80. It looks pretty dang close to mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badkelly View Post
What are you using the cell phone for? If it's for mapping, I'd suggest going with a Bluetooth speaker setup in the helmet instead. I bought a cell phone mount off Amazon that snapped the first time I tried to mount it. I picked up another of a different brand from a bike store and it broke, too. I have a Sena headset that I listen to music through and discovered that Waze (the mapping app I use on the road because it also gives police alerts) talked through the Bluetooth headset, which was pretty cool.

I wouldn't trust my cell phone to a smallish clamp on the handlebars knowing how fragile they can be any more.
I can't afford a sena set right now, but found a cheap knockoff that seems to have some good reviews in the mean time. I'd like to be able to see who's calling, glance down at maps, change music at stop lights, etc easily however I listen to it though. The mount seems good for that. Have you seen RAM mounts?

'02 Vulcan 500 -

Last edited by Venom831; 11-20-2017 at 12:02 AM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 07:03 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Looks to me like the throttle tube is included......I use these from e-bay.....A lot cheaper & quality is good.........If you check the Kuryakyn package they are also made in china with a hugh mark up.......https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Motorcycle-1...72.m2749.l2649
Venom831 likes this.

If at first you do succeed,try not to look surprised.

Last edited by Blaine; 11-20-2017 at 07:08 AM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 07:18 AM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaine View Post
Looks to me like the throttle tube is included......I use these from e-bay.....A lot cheaper & quality is good.........If you check the Kuryakyn package they are also made in china with a hugh mark up.......https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Motorcycle-1...72.m2749.l2649
I'm not in Canada, but thank you for the suggestion. I'll use your search parameters and look around. So do some of them mandate you replace the throttle tube and some have them? My luck, it would be the wrong throttle tube.

'02 Vulcan 500 -
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 07:26 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 1997 Vulcan LTD
Color: Black
Garage
Venom,

I just measured Hidalgo's tank bag: 10"Lx8"Wx9"H

Regarding the throttle grip: Order grips for another Vulcan model. The ones I installed required no adjustments to the throttle tube.

Windshield bag contents: Pens, candy, jerky, spare change (for tolls, etc), occasionally the Spot tracker...
Venom831 likes this.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 08:07 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: (SOLD) Kawasaki Vulcan S [Harley-Davidson FLXTRS Road Glide Special]
Displacement/CC's: 107 (1746cc)
Color: Bonneville Salt Pearl
Opinions wanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom831 View Post
So from what I understand, on these kuryakyn grips, I'm not replacing the whole thing, just the outside part, but keeping my stock "throttle tube" that my throttle cables connect to? I am looking at part 6240 if I read what you said right. I looked at them before, and Avon too, but had trouble understanding.

The x grip/claw was same I was looking at, seemed decent, they make quality products.

That tank bag looks huge! Coincidentally, I've been looking at the 450m from Chase Harper. Chase Harper 450M Magnetic Tank Bag https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GRR4OC..._MRMeAbA9MPB81

The backresr, throttle lock, windshield bag, and highway pegs are good advice. What kind of stuff do you keep in your windshield bag? I'm going to look at another windshield tomorrow that a local guy is selling, for $80. It looks pretty dang close to mine.

I can't afford a sena set right now, but found a cheap knockoff that seems to have some good reviews in the mean time. I'd like to be able to see who's calling, glance down at maps, change music at stop lights, etc easily however I listen to it though. The mount seems good for that. Have you seen RAM mounts?

Kuryakyn ISO Grip 6240 does not come with the throttle tube, it would come two glue on grips which utilize your existing throttle tube
ISO-Grips for 1" Bars, Chrome
Honda: All '10-'16 VT1300 Models, All '02-'08 VTX1800 Models, All '03-'09 VTX1300 Models, '09-'18 Fury, '04-'05 Rune, '98-'18 Shadow 750 Ace/Aero/Phantom, '17-'18 Rebel & '14-'15 Valkyrie
Suzuki: '95-'08 Intruder 1400 & Boulevard S83 Models, '95-'09 Intruder 800 & Boulevard S50 Models
Multi-Fit: Universal: 1" Diameter Handlebars
Multi-Fit Note: May require the removal of ribs on OEM throttle sleeves.

Saddle up and feel the wind in your Helmet! ATGATT

Last edited by texasnurse; 11-20-2017 at 08:14 AM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerbill View Post
Venom,

I just measured Hidalgo's tank bag: 10"Lx8"Wx9"H

Regarding the throttle grip: Order grips for another Vulcan model. The ones I installed required no adjustments to the throttle tube.

Windshield bag contents: Pens, candy, jerky, spare change (for tolls, etc), occasionally the Spot tracker...
Thanks Bill!
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasnurse View Post
Kuryakyn ISO Grip 6240 does not come with the throttle tube, it would come two glue on grips which utilize your existing throttle tube
ISO-Grips for 1" Bars, Chrome
Honda: All '10-'16 VT1300 Models, All '02-'08 VTX1800 Models, All '03-'09 VTX1300 Models, '09-'18 Fury, '04-'05 Rune, '98-'18 Shadow 750 Ace/Aero/Phantom, '17-'18 Rebel & '14-'15 Valkyrie
Suzuki: '95-'08 Intruder 1400 & Boulevard S83 Models, '95-'09 Intruder 800 & Boulevard S50 Models
Multi-Fit: Universal: 1" Diameter Handlebars
Multi-Fit Note: May require the removal of ribs on OEM throttle sleeves.

Saddle up and feel the wind in your Helmet! ATGATT
Thank you for all that info!

'02 Vulcan 500 -
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 05:52 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom831 View Post
I'm not in Canada, but thank you for the suggestion. I'll use your search parameters and look around. So do some of them mandate you replace the throttle tube and some have them? My luck, it would be the wrong throttle tube.
Most throttle tubes I have changed are the same.....Kawasaki,Suzuki or Yamaha.....Just be sure 7/8" or 1" bars........Most of them come with new tube.
Venom831 likes this.

If at first you do succeed,try not to look surprised.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode