A bigger passenger seat for 500? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2002 Kawasaki Vulcan
Displacement/CC's: en500
Color: Black
Garage
A bigger passenger seat for 500?

Hey guys I feel like I am always asking you questions... And I am. We are looking to make my wife a little more comfortable while riding longer distances. We rode about 150 miles and my wife wanted the ride to be over with and get off the bike from her butt being sore. The passenger seat on the 02 is pretty thick but also only 8 inches wide. Is there another seat maybe for another bike that fits well and the passenger seat is wider? I told my wife she would get used to it after more rides but that didn't go as I had hoped. Women sort of have this way with getting their way.... They know how to play their hand of cards.... Or at least mine does
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 09:23 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 1997 Vulcan LTD
Displacement/CC's: 500
Garage
Daniel and I have tried a few solutions to the 'Pillion Seat' to improve its comfort for the passenger.

The first one is a universal widening cushion: https://www.saddlemen.com/comfy-sadd...earch=comfy%20

Next we used, with a solo seat from a Kawasaki Drifter, a ButtyBuddy directly on the rear fender: www.buttybuddy.com

Currently we're using a custom bracket that raises the ButtyBuddy up off of the fender. https://bikerbillsvulcan500rebuild.shutterfly.com/813

All of the above preclude using a passenger backrest. I also use a driver's backrest from Pro-Tac: www.protac.net

Hope this helps.

--
'Biker' Bill
'97 EN500LTD 'Hidalgo' 204,000+ miles so far
'98 EN500LTD 'Sioux' 18,000 miles so far
VROC #3833 IronButt #6024
Levelland, TX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I have looked at the universal widening cushion by saddlemen and I have also looked at the Butty Buddy.... What worked better for you?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I also have a backrest which helps her alot but if I can widen the seat so weight distribution is more spread out would be better. The Buddy I was looking at would be the one to go over the seat but the seat is at least 4" thick so I don't know if that'd work well
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

Garage
What windshield are you using in that picture? Been looking for one that size...
Sorry to bombard you with questions bikerbill
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 06:41 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 1997 Vulcan LTD
Displacement/CC's: 500
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastork3v View Post
I have looked at the universal widening cushion by saddlemen and I have also looked at the Butty Buddy.... What worked better for you?
So far the ButtyBuddy with custom bracket and topped with an AirHawk air cushion is the most comfortable for him. However since Daniel and I started riding he has grown. A LOT! The Saddlemen did great when he was 10 years old and 140lbs but as he has grown so have the seating requirements. Currently he is around 205lbs. and 5'10". We're almost the same size so we're talking about two grown men riding 2-up on a Vulcan 500LTD. The bike's handling is, shall we say, interesting.

The main reason we have gone with the ButtyBuddy is that the Saddlemen cushions were pressing too hard onto the tops of the saddlebags. That pressure was damaging the saddlebags.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastork3v View Post
What windshield are you using in that picture? Been looking for one that size...
Sorry to bombard you with questions bikerbill
No problems with the questions. The windshield is an Enterprise II from Slipstreamer. S-00: Enterprise - Slipstreamer Inc. They're available for less than $200 from online retailers. It WILL cut into your fuel economy though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Daniel at start of first Saddlesore 1000.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	197026   Click image for larger version

Name:	Daniel and Sioux.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	197034  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in