Raw Gas Coming Out Exhaust - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
old
Senior Member
 
old's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: SW MO
Posts: 454
Garage
Raw Gas Coming Out Exhaust

Today, my 09 EN500C started right off like ususal, I let it warm up, and took off. It seemed sluggish, but ran OK at higher speeds(but I could smell gas when stopped for red lights). Rode about 30 miles, put it in garage, went out later to start it, it was very hard to start, and raw gas runs out the exhaust(with engine running) near the muffler on the left side. Could it be a stuck float? If so, why would it stick while the engine is running? The bike was running great before today. Please help!

'09 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 LTD
old is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 05:55 PM
Top Contributor
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Lock Haven, Pennsylvania
Year/Make/Model: 2001 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500L Nomad FI
Displacement/CC's: 1500cc
Color: Burgundy/silver
Gender: Male
Posts: 702
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by old View Post
Today, my 09 EN500C started right off like ususal, I let it warm up, and took off. It seemed sluggish, but ran OK at higher speeds(but I could smell gas when stopped for red lights). Rode about 30 miles, put it in garage, went out later to start it, it was very hard to start, and raw gas runs out the exhaust(with engine running) near the muffler on the left side. Could it be a stuck float? If so, why would it stick while the engine is running? The bike was running great before today. Please help!
Maybe your left spark plug is on its way out. Maybe it only sparks intermittently. That's how it was when the ignition coils went out on my cager. It would run fine (mostly), except when I tromped on the accelerator to merge into traffic. It would "die", and then "catch up" after two seconds. I know it's not the same problem, but it's easy enough to check the plug.
Zim_the_Giant is offline  
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 06:36 PM
Top Contributor
 
Blaine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Prince Edward Island Canada
Posts: 1,277
Garage
I also think you have a stuck float.It doesn't take much to make the needle to stick open.Do you have a inline filter? If not,than anything that gets by the petcock screens ends up in the carbs.

If at first you do succeed,try not to look surprised.




To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Blaine is offline  
 
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
old
Senior Member
 
old's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: SW MO
Posts: 454
Garage
1) Is there a way to remove the spark plugs without removing the fuel tank? I checked them once, but had the tank off. I'm concerned about breaking some of those connectors for the instrument panel. After Zim mentioned it, it seems odd that whatever went south did it all at once.

2) Do not have an inline filter. Flow is good thru both carbs when bowl drains are opened. Guess I could check for float leakage by turning the fuel petcock to the position that does not require vacuum for fuel flow. (I checked with engine running...it makes no difference if petcock is in any of the 3 positions). Was wondering if I could just tap the carb with a rubber mallet if float is stuck?

'09 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 LTD
old is offline  
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 06:58 PM
Top Contributor
 
Blaine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Prince Edward Island Canada
Posts: 1,277
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by old View Post
1)

2) Do not have an inline filter. Flow is good thru both carbs when bowl drains are opened. Guess I could check for float leakage by turning the fuel petcock to the position that does not require vacuum for fuel flow. (I checked with engine running...it makes no difference if petcock is in any of the 3 positions). Was wondering if I could just tap the carb with a rubber mallet if float is stuck?
The position that does not require vacuum is "Pri"
It may help to tap the float bowl to unstick the float.Check your oil to be sure that fuel is not draining into the engine.If tapping the bowl unsticks the float,some SeaFoam may help clean things up.

If at first you do succeed,try not to look surprised.




To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Blaine is offline  
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 08:12 PM
Top Contributor
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Lock Haven, Pennsylvania
Year/Make/Model: 2001 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500L Nomad FI
Displacement/CC's: 1500cc
Color: Burgundy/silver
Gender: Male
Posts: 702
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaine View Post
The position that does not require vacuum is "Pri"
It may help to tap the float bowl to unstick the float.Check your oil to be sure that fuel is not draining into the engine.If tapping the bowl unsticks the float,some SeaFoam may help clean things up.
And on the eighth day, He, in His infinite wisdom, created SeaFoam.
Zim_the_Giant is offline  
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
old
Senior Member
 
old's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: SW MO
Posts: 454
Garage
I've been adding SeaFoam to the fuel for about 700 miles(since I bought the bike). Was just thinking a few days ago that it has helped some and the Kawi is running great (until today)

Going to check plugs tomorrow and try to verify whether or not float is sticking.....I store the bike in a wheel chock just to keep it upright instead on the side stand.

Keep those comments coming.........tx

'09 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 LTD
old is offline  
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 11:11 PM
Top Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 11,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by old View Post
1) Is there a way to remove the spark plugs without removing the fuel tank? I checked them once, but had the tank off. I'm concerned about breaking some of those connectors for the instrument panel. After Zim mentioned it, it seems odd that whatever went south did it all at once.

Flow is good thru both carbs when bowl drains are opened. Guess I could check for float leakage by turning the fuel petcock to the position that does not require vacuum
None of the above tests will tell you anything because:

1. Float not stuck, fuel should flow from drains.
2. Float stuck, fuel will flow from drains.
3. Float leakage can only be checked by a tear-down and inspection.
sfair is offline  
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 11:43 AM
Lifetime Premium
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Mount Holly, NJ
Posts: 333
The best way to get to the plugs is by removing the gas tank. It does seem like it is a lot of work to get it off, but in the long run it is worth it. Just my experience. I have had no problems taking my speedo off and un-hooking the electrical connectors and the speedo. Just take your time. The only problem I've run into is getting my tourque wrench to fit on the left plug. The ignitor (coil) is in the way of the head of the tourqe wrench, so I remove it also. I use an 18mm thin wall deep socket to get the plugs out. Good luck.
Pete

2006 EN500C6F
pjckm is offline  
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
old
Senior Member
 
old's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: SW MO
Posts: 454
Garage
The needle/seat inlet assembly on the left carb was fouled with varnish (removed by the SeaFoam?). I gave it a good flushing by running gas thru the carb, catching it in a quart jar, pouring it back into the tank while using a funnel with a 200 mesh screen to catch all the contaminants. Also used low pressure compressed air (5-7 psi) to blow backwards thru the carb. When the contaminants stopped showing up on the screen, I started the engine and it runs, idles, accelerates, etc., beautifully. I also installed an in-line fuel filter (started thinking about flushing the carbs again if I get some bad gas at the local C-Store), a new oil filter, and put in new oil.

'09 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 LTD

Last edited by old; 03-01-2012 at 11:07 PM.
old is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Raw fuel dump on decel-VN800 tankgirl Vulcan 800 6 06-16-2015 03:18 PM
Shark Raw vs Bell Rogue Cadillac Motorcycle Safety And Riding Gear Discussions 1 03-21-2014 09:12 AM
Wont start. Gas coming out of exhaust ibbobbyc Engine Work 3 04-20-2013 08:45 PM
Oil and gas coming out of airfilters liverpool New Member Introductions 4 07-31-2012 03:51 PM
Gas coming out of hose Rusty Bridges Vulcan 1500 3 06-27-2009 11:31 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome