Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Oil preference

3K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  AZPoseur 
#1 ·
This may be the wrong area of the forums.. but does anyone have an opinion on regular oil vs synthetic ?

#6 ·
Big tread on this somewhere. But yea synthetic and K&N filter.

#7 ·
Oil threads are very common...Opinions vary greatly, make that enormously.

Whatever you use, change it regularly and some say more often than recommended.

There is a site called "Bob is the Oil Guy" which is very comprehensive if you really want to get scientific.

#8 ·
Wix filter 51358, fram filters are known to have cardboard inners not good, shell rotella T 5w40 spring and fall (cold and change often under 1000 miles cause it shears quickly) and rotella T 15w40 summer (lasts longer less shearing, trips and change 3000 miles) rotella T6 5w40 is not synthetic just so you know

#10 ·
shell was allowed to print the word 'synthetic' on their jug due to a trade panel dispute resolution with another oil maker a few years back, shell employed good marketing lawyers who convince the binding industry trade panel who agreed with shell lawyers that the word 'synthetic' is not an oil refinery process word but is a marketing word only. rotella t6 can't be synthetic because it's from a group 2 oil base stock, synthetic is made from group 4 stock, there's no real synthetic oil made from group 2, you are another person taken in by very smart marketing people at shell, t6 is good diesel oil but synthetic it's not, if you're going to use t6 at least know what it is and what it's not, do some research and get educated on that trade panel ruling and see how oil companies can use the word 'synthetic' as a marketing word which has nothing to do with what's in the oil or how it's made

#11 · (Edited)
I don't know anything about that.......All I have are real world results.Being using both T4 & T6 for years.......All I know it that the T6 flows great at low temps for protection at start up.Good enough for me & million of Truckers & a lot of Bikers. :)

#12 ·
sure use t6, I never said not to, and I never said it's not good oil, what I said is it's NOT synthetic, so many people don't know that, so ya use it and I use it also, but that's why I change it out as a regular dinosaur oil and not as a synthetic oil

Reactions: Blaine
#13 ·
I would never use a Fram filter, because they are way overpriced compared to the low quality. I use either Wix or Kawasaki. Any 10W-40 motorcycle oil with a high (over 400 degrees) flash point should be good. Look at the MSDS or other specs to see the flash point. A high flash point means it won't burn off as fast and, I believe, offers much better protection. I prefer the Kawasaki 10W-40 full synthetic.

For lots and lots of information on motor oil, and just about any other subject, go to bobistheoilguy.com Modern motor oils are light years ahead of the oils from 30 years ago.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.