Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

tell me about your 500

6K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  Red Rider 
#1 ·
Tell me a out your bike!

What do you love about it? What do you hate about it? How does it run on the highway? Does it hold its own or could it use a redbull?
How tall are you and are you too big for your bike?
Any insight on your bike would be greatly appreciated. I'm starting on a "new" 95 500project bike.

Thanks!

#2 ·
I love the fact that it gets 50 mpg just about every time i fill it up. I love that it was small enough for me to save on some of my stupid learning mistakes. It has some great get up and go.. for a little 500 this thing kicks @ss.
I think the controls need to be moved forward.. (im 5' 9") While it generally holds its own on the freeway, the only time ive ever been maxed out was going up a hill into a strong head wind... granted i could have shifted down.. but at freeway speeds i can't hear the bike! Thats another gripe i have against it, its too quiet. Especially when riding in a group or right next to another bike mine is completely drowned out.

overall i don't regret the purchase but i definitely will be buying a bigger bike...some day.

#3 ·
I'm long winded but you asked for it. I bought my bike for a commuter to work. I had never rode a motorcycle before, so I wanted something to learn on, and get good gas mileage. I am 5' 10" and 210 lbs. I think this was the perferct bike... comfortable seat, low center of gravity, very manuverable, looks good, and gets good gas mileage. My best was 60 mpg, but that was breaking in as manuafacture recomened. As I became more comfortable the faster I went, and it wasn't long before I was topping it out (103 mph). Down went the gas mileage:rolleyes: Any way I drive 150 miles round trip every day, and my mileage is down to about 46 mpg, but I run 70 to 80 the whole way with the occasional 90 on passing multi cars. I ride it hard, change the oil every 3,000 with castrol gtx 10-40 and super tech filter from wally world, I have 21,000 miles on it and its an 08 bought april 27, 2008. The bike is quick, it surprises many bikes at more than twice the cc's in the 0 to 60 mph range, but after that it falls off quick in comparison to the big bikes. I get allot of teasing at work from all the guys riding 1100 to 1500 cc bikes... But last week we all took a trip to northern Arkansas and alot of attitudes got changed. I didnt run out of gas like one of the 1500's. I flicked my bike in and out of turns, where some were man handling there horses. And when we ran 90mph for 1 1/2 hours straight, I was in the front of the pack... Did I mention I didn't run out of gas on the interstate:D The bike is pretty simple to work on, I do my own valve adjustments, wore front brakes front tire and chain out at 18,000 miles, back tires last about half that. I would like a little more getty up from 70 to 100, but all in all it does everything I want and need for a very economical price. $ 4,880.00 tax title included brand new. I dont know how many miles I can get before she dies, but for a first bike, I think I am getting my money's worth and then some. This was supposed to be just a commuter, but that was before I realized how much fun I had been missing:)

#4 ·
I've had mine for almost a month now. Got a 2000 LTD and it had 2000 miles on it when I got it. I haven't driven it on any long distance rides because it isn't running 100% like it's supposed to. The previous owner had let it sit for 2 years with gas in the tank. I do really like the power of the bike. It is my first bike and it's allowing me to finetune my skills on something that's lightweight and easy to maneuver. I haven't tried to top it out, yet, but I will when it's running 100% again. I am a hair over 6 feet tall, 200 lbs, and to me, it does seem a little small. I will be moving up to the 800 or 900 by next year and my girlfriend will be getting this bike. She is 5'5" and she is very comfortable on it. Overall, good bike from what I've seen.

#5 ·
500 Bobber

Robuilt, saw this thread and thought of you cause you're doin a bobber. This guy was really creative and did everything himself, not bolt-on stuff. You'll have to create a free account to see the pics.. it's just like this forum.

http://www.motorcycleforum.com/showthread.php?t=87069

#6 ·
Wow that's perfect. Lol.

I almost bought a harley the other day, but pure impulse buy, but something (mostly my wallet) is telling me to hold off and build this low budget bobber.

This link couldn't have come at a better time!

#8 ·
Mine is a year 2000 that I purchased from it's second owner in late 2008, with 2600 miles on it. It is my first bike since I was a teenager in the 1970s.

The bike was running poorly, so over the winter I learned how to clean the carburetors, change the oil, oil filter, air filter, and coolant, and adjust the valves, clutch, and chain tension. I was totally surprised how few tools were required to do all of the above, and how quickly the seat, tank, valve heads, and carbs can be removed from the bike. Nothing was too complicated to do either for this non-mechanic. I also added a National Cycle Street Shield EX windshield.

I put the bike back on the road on Memorial Day weekend. It runs fantastic, and has all the speed and power I want (I'm 5'10" 190 pounds). The windshield really makes the bike a joy to ride... stopped the helmet buffeting completely, and that annoying wind pressure in my chest at highway speed. I'm getting low 50's miles per gallon. I use as high of a gear and low of an RPM as I can without lugging the engine. Usually I can stay in 6th gear and can still accelerate up steep hills, although at a slower rate.

I originally thought that I would get the Vulcan 500 as a stepping stone on my way to a bigger cycle later on, but for the forseeable future I am super happy with this baby. I want to do a week+ motorcycle vacation this summer. That will give me some more data for me to think about...

Ride On!

#9 ·
I have a 2009 that I purchased on 8-19-08, on 9-08-08 I had already ridden it 987 miles, by 10-21-08 when I winterized it the speed-o-meter was showing 2661.
That was last year.
This year I first got the bike out back in March when there was still snow on the ground and 3 more snow storms yet to come.

Today on my way to work I looked and the speed-o-meter is now reading 5469 miles.

Now you all might be saying that aint to impresive by any means, but you all dont know that I just past the MSF coarse on Aug. 10th 2008 and DMV test on the 12th of Aug. 08, than went out and purchased my first motorcycle on 8-19-08 and started rideing.

The first time I took the bike out on the 4 land highway last year and got the bike up to 65mph I scared the crap out of myself,:eek: today I think nothing of cruseing down the 4 lanes at 80+mph, :cool: spitting the bugs out as needed.

#10 ·
I have a 2006 model which I purchased new in May 2007. Just turned 11,000miles on it. Great bike with plenty of power for me at 5'11" and 180 pounds. I've added saddlebags, iso-grips, iso-wing floorboards, small Kawi windshield, maintenance-free battery, memory foam to seat and now an Airhawk seat cushion which really does the trick. Sometimes I feel a little cramped like I need a bigger bike. I love the parallel engine design; lot of power for the size. It's great for running through the backroads of NW Georgia. I typically get 60 mpg.

#11 ·
Hi, all. I am new here. This is my first post. I am purchasing a Vulcan this weekend. I've already put down a deposit. I learned to ride on a KZ440 LTD. I love how the 500 seems to be a grandchild of the KZ. I am teaching myself some motorcycle maintenance basics. I have already adjusted the valves on my friends 500 Ninja, so I am hoping that the same process will apply to the 500. (Minus having to remove all the plastic body panels.)

The bike I am buying is a 2003 and has about 1300 miles on it. The current owner says it is in mint condition. I am a shorter rider. I've sat on 500s at the dealership and I like the weight distribution on them. Harleys (small sportsters) just seem to have too much weight on top.

I am looking forward to lurking around here and getting ideas for maintenance and modifications.

#13 ·
I agree that the foot controls could move a little farther forward, but I'm 6'4"
and I don't really find it to be a big deal... The bike is pretty fast, even with my fat butt on it. I really love the bike and also get really good mileage... somewhere near 60 on the road. I am going to do a seat mod to make it a little more comfy for my afore mentioned butt. I would say that the stock seat is a 100 mile seat... then you need to get up and get some blood back in the ole keester..
I put on a National Cycle windshield, a Baron Tach, Iso grips, sissy bar, luggage rack, and a set of used saddle bags... Oh yeah and a Stebel Nautilus horn, like 135 decibels... Gets their attention...
Ride Safe...

#14 ·
Hi,
I bought a 2006 last June with 180 miles on it to use as my first bike as recommended from the MSF course. It ran only on full choke because the previous owner didn't put stabilizer in his gas. I learned how to clean the carbs and then it ran great. Then I learned how to adjust the valves and it needed that too. Like most other posters I really like the bike. It has adequate power and gets good gas mileage (~53 mpg). I use it as a commuter, racking up 156 highway miles per day and now have 15,800 miles. My biggest complaint is the seat, anything over ~70 miles and it starts to hurt. Will need a cushion soon. I am 5'10", 180 lbs., and the bike seems a little small but not bad. I've never ridden a different bike but like the way it rides on the highway. I've also experienced some of the typical issues with this bike like the loose battery posts and forgetting to refill the battery with dH2O. Unlike most others, my original tires both still have alot of tread left after 16k miles, and my chain has shown very little wear. I am anal about oiling the chain every day (150 miles) and also very careful about checking tire pressure before each trip (along with the other stuff from the MSF course, TCLOCS and FINEC). I did drop it once, at 4k miles, on the highway, and was amazed at how it wasn't damaged. All in all I'm very please with this beginner bike and plan to hold onto for longer than originally anticipated.
Greg

#15 ·
That's great tire mileage. I'm running Dunlop 404 tires now, so we'll see how they do.

I had a double layer of memory foam put in my stock seat by Mean City Cycles in NC. It made it a lot better. I have since purchased an Airhawk medium sized cruiser air cushion (RL Motorcycles in GA) and I can go twice as far without discomfort. I don't go anywhere without it now.

I clean and lube my chain every 400-500 miles and it still looks great after
12K miles. I put Seafoam in mine every 1500 miles or so just to help clean out stuff in the engine. Great stuff from everything I've read on it.

Great motorcycle.

#16 ·
I only got my 2006 Vulcan 500LTD a few weeks ago as my very first bike.
I wasn't sure for several weeks I'd get a 500 or a smaller 250 bike and finally decided to get the 500 after a friend that got his license a few months before me confirmed it was easy to drive.

I am not looking back at all! You get use to it in a few days. The weight is very low and it is pretty easy to avoid dropping it.
The driving position is perfect for me; I am 5'7" and 120lbs.

As for the power, it is really good for driving in the city and commute.
I live in San Francisco bay area and find it perfect around here.
I don't drive between cars that much yet but the few time I did was easy. I don't do any freeway either yet. So no opinion on that. But riding the highway at 70mph along the ocean feels great.

For maintenance, I haven't done any yet/ I got it with 8800 miles 3 weeks ago. It was in great condition and runs perfect. It seems to be a solid bike that you can keep for a long time and not get bored of it.

#17 ·
GBannish, what brand/type tire came on your bike. I had a bridgestone exedra 702 that i rode till it blew, and only made it till 11,000 miles. I ride 150 miles every day commuting, and have worn out 2 bridestones and 1 dunlop on the rear. I just put a shinko tour master on at 26,025 miles. Wish I could get better mileage out of my tires. I watched some u tube videos, bought 2 motion pro tire spoons, and put the shinko on myself to save $$. :D:D

#19 ·
Freedombird,
Yeah I have the same (Bridgestone exedra G702 rear, and G702 front), and keep the pressur at 32 psi rear, 28 psi front. After checking more closely there is some wear on the rear, still about 2mm tread, and will need to be replaced before too long. You are ahead of me with checking out different tires on the bike (not sure how the handling would differ), and installing yourself!
Greg

#18 ·
If it's worth anything, my service guy suggested I run 30/34 in my tires (front/rear) which will help tire wear and handling will be fine.

#20 ·
Echo>>>

Most of you could have written my experience. Pretty much the same deal.
I had reservations about the size, I'm 6'0" 220. An occasional bout of monkey butt aside, it's pretty comfortable despite my size. Mileage rocks.

I loved the style, and the low COG. It feels solid and responsive even with the GF on the back (and she ain't no skinny chicken :rolleyes:)

All in all, I give it a solid A in every category but long ride comfort and availability of aftermarket accessories.

#21 ·
I am very pleased with my 09 Vulcan 500. I'm 5'5" with a 29" inseam and the 500 fits me perfect. On my old KZ440 I had to stand on my toes. I agree that there should be more accessories available. So far I've added the OEM sissy bar, with the help of 500 rider, the full size highway bars, and set of saddlebags I got from a friend at work. I've ordered the OEM Rear Rack and the Saddlebag Supports. When I get the money I want to get driver floorboards, foot pegs for the highway bars and a windshield.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.