Losing power then shutting down - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 09:08 AM
Top Contributor

Glad you remembered to suggest it. I haven't had a stock type battery in quite some time and forgot all about the connection issues.

'99 Vulcan 500, 29k miles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

So the ride into work was "uneventful". Which in my case, is a good thing. lol Everything feels back to normal. Thanks again to all for your input.

Tom, I just read your sticky. And you were right on the money with my situation. Symptoms were exactly as you mentioned them in the sticky. I would never have thought about the battery connection of the L bracket. It is something that can easily be missed when troubleshooting.

Cheers.

2002 Vulcan EN500C
Dyna mufflers mod
Reupholstered leather seat

"One of the things I love about riding...she never complains of a headache."
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 07:54 PM

Howdy guys
Battery connections aren't my problem. cleaned them up and dialectic greased them just ta make sure. And now it won't start at all, starter will turn over, but my start switch just clicks. I can smell fuel. I'm afraid I burnt up the starter solenoid trying to start it. Any idea what to check next??

post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 07:42 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 1995 Kawasaki Vulcan 500
Color: Black / grey
IF it clicks when trying to start it, the battery is to low. Charge it.
How can you be smelling gas?
If you do have a gas smell, you have a leak somewhere.
Even a flooded engine wont have a gas smell.

First thing - make sure battery is charged.
Then check where the gas leak is.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1995 en500 stock with windshield - 30,000 miles
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 03:13 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vulcandoc View Post
IF it clicks when trying to start it, the battery is to low. Charge it.
How can you be smelling gas?
If you do have a gas smell, you have a leak somewhere.
Even a flooded engine wont have a gas smell.

First thing - make sure battery is charged.
Then check where the gas leak is.
A flooded engine will most certainly smell of fuel!!!

If at first you do succeed,try not to look surprised.

post #16 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 06:43 PM

It died while driving down the road. Then would fire right back up. but now won't start at all. I haven't pulled the plugs, guess i'll do that next. See if they spark but I'm pretty sure they are not. it dies like ya hit the kill switch. Previous owner put augzilary kill n start switch on it. I'm returning them to original. The "CLICK" ing noise comes from the fuse box. Not a fuse but I believe there is a relay in there as well. I've been looking for a wiring diagram, only found the 1500 so far.
I have fried the start solenoid (? maybe ?) . Got five posts below a 30 amp fuse, top right is hot with key on. ?
First time workin on a bike.

I am so very grateful for the feed back / assistance I have gotten thus far and appreciate any "HINTS" I can receive in the future.

Thank You All!
Michael
post #17 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-10-2015, 07:08 AM

Michael, Your symptoms sound so much like some of those for the battery connection, I'd advise going back to the battery and checking everything. Grease does not make good connections, it just keeps them cleaner down the road. Check the battery voltage, but after that go for the connections (do them all or at least make sure you did not miss one or break off the terminal). Tom
post #18 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-10-2015, 05:33 PM

Thank You Tom,
Yes. I went back to the battery. Took sandpaper to the connections ta make sure there was no oxidation, both the wires connections and the battery. Tested for voltage at the other end of the wires and it's all good. I would like to know what the solenoids transfer power to so I may check ta see if it is actually getting there. And is there one in the fuse panel?

Michael
post #19 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-25-2016, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastpakr View Post
Next time it happens, open the gas cap and see if you get any venting noise like air suddenly rushing in. I can't speak to the electrical smell, but the rest of this really sounds like a fuel flow issue to me. On the 750 forums this is sometimes referred to as POOG (phantom out of gas).
I was reading for any threads about gas cap and pressure and saw this thread. I was test riding 15-20mph in my neighborhood in 2nd gear. On the way home, I tried throttling a bit more and I felt the power, but then it cut off and I noticed that the engine had died. It was difficult to restart and I was able to get it to idle weakly by throttling while starting. However, when i tried to throttle a bit, the idle weakened and died.

Once I parked the bike and turned off the bike and removed the key, I heard a high whine noise. I thought it was the fan but it wasn't. Then I noticed it came from the gas cap. When i opened the gas cap, it sounded like depressurizing. I could look in and see a clear tube with fuel in it and bubbles rising to the surface from the bottom of the fuel. The bike is difficult to start.

I checked the puke tube and it seems clear.

I took a video, don't know if it will help:

https://youtu.be/NN4zAZnH7JA

After reading this thread, I wonder if I have a loose battery connection (might have messed it up while putting the seat on. If it's normal for the gas cap to make that sound when the bike is turned off, then I would lean towards this, but I don't recall ever hearing that sound when turning off the bike.

It is a new (used) 500 tank for me. I am using the fuel cap from my previous tank (which I believe was a Vulcan 800 tank, looks identical but the petcock is further back for a V Twin config).

I'll go ahead and check part numbers to see if they are interchangeable. The meter was so I'm hoping it is.

UPDATE: When I closed the gas cap, it began making the sound within seconds even before I started the bike up. Once unlocked, it depressurized again.

2005 Vulcan 500
National Cycle "Street Shield"
AirHawk2 Cushion
K&N Air Filter
Progrip 714

Last edited by rileyyh; 05-25-2016 at 01:20 PM.
post #20 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-25-2016, 01:26 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 1997 Vulcan LTD
Displacement/CC's: 500
Color: Black
Garage
Your motorcycle is 'singing' to you. The noise is quite normal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode