Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Very, very simple maintenance question...

5K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  ggreene1 
#1 · (Edited)
Simple maintenance question... Need Help Quickly...

What size is the rear axle retaining nut (to adjust the chain)?

I'm asking because I'm about to ride 428 miles to do some very basic maintenance on my dad's Vulcan 500 (07' model) and only have sufficient room for minimal tools. Also, other than the dealer where might I be able to obtain an oil filter for the bike? Wal-Mart? Pep Boys? Etc.

Because time is of the essence (I'll be leaving at 5 AM in the morning), please e-mail me directly with the answer. Thanks in advance.

Nelson Roth

PS. Any pitfalls I need to be aware of?

nelsonroth@directv.net

#6 · (Edited)
"Hope that helped" ...

It did indeed my friend. I greatly appreciate your assistance.

I was able to do the oil change on my dad's Vulcan 500 with little problem on my part. The reason I say, "... on my part" is that I was unable to get the filter off. It seems that when the "stealer" did my dad's last oil change (for which they charge $45) their head gorilla cranked down on the filter so tightly that, in the end, it was destroyed getting it off. Once off all went well.

There is one peculiarity about filling the engine up with oil however. I noticed that if I put 3 quarts of oil in it while on the side stand the oil would not show in the Sight Glass. When the bike was moved to the vertical position the oil still did not show. I could then crank up the engine with the bike in the vertical position, once again, then shut it off and the oil would drain and be visible in the Sight Glass. If I then leaned the bike onto its side stand and then return it to the vertical position the oil would not appear in the Sight Glass.

Obviously, there was sufficient oil in the engine. It's just a bit peculiar that leaning the bike onto its stand and then returning it to the vertical position would not once again show oil in the Sight Glass. Simply cranking the engine up again, in the vertical position, and then shutting it down produced oil in the Sight Glass.

BTW, he is now looking at the Suzuki V-Strom 650. He was rather impressed with my DL1000, while I was down there, and now feels that he'd like to have something that would enable him to travel the highways a little more adequately. The ergonomics of the V-Strom are a little better suited for extended highway travel.

With all this said you should know that he is going on 73 years old. His first motorcycle was a Honda Dream 160 (an in-line twin) from back in 1969 when we were stationed in Hawaii. His second bike was The little Suzuki 250 cruiser (2 years ago). He found that the Suzuki just didn't have the "grunt" to run at higher speeds so he opted for the Vulcan 500. He loves it but was simply taken by the V-Strom. He hopes to have one by the end of the year.

Seems to me that he's been bitten by "the bug". Better late than never I say...:)

#4 · (Edited)
"Inexpensive oil filters" for the Vulcan 500 ...

I was informed that the Super Tech oil filter (7317) at Wal-Mart fits the 500. I was able to determine that it in fact does. In fact, the Super Tech 7317 also fits my wife's 03' Honda Civic and my newer 07' Nissan Frontier. It also fit my 05' Yamaha FJR1300. It clearly has a common thread size and count.

The Super Tech filters are a very high quality filter. They a goodly amount of quality filtration material and a high quality drain back valve. I use them on everything I own except my Suzuki V-Strom DL1000. The Suzuki uses a unique threading and therefore I am unable to find a Super Tech to fit it. It's rare these days that you come across a really good deal on something like this. Let's here it for Super Tech!!!!!

#5 · (Edited)
Found my answer with a little help from Google. All information is from http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/FilterXRef.html See note 5 at the bottom of the linked page. I question the recommendation for the Walmart SuperTech filter. At least the one for my car had significantly less filter surface area.

These Oil Filters
have 20 x 1.5mm threads,
14 psi by-pass valve,
anti-drain back valve,
2.3" O.D. gasket
2.5" to 3.5" long.
If you have the room, I recommend the longer filters.

Motorcycle Filters.
None are recommended.

* AC Delco PF2135
* AMSOil SMF103
* Carquest 85358
* FRAM PH6017A
* Honda 15410-MCJ-000
* K&N KN-204, about $13. Metric nut on end for easy removal.
* NAPA Gold 1358
* Purolator ML16817. Imported, not made by Purolator.
* STP SMO 17
* WIX 51358

Recommended filters.
All have superior
filtering.

About 2.5 inches long.

* Purolator Pure One PL14612, about $6.
* Mobil M1-108, about $12.
Made by Champion.
* Bosch 3300, about $6.
Made by Champion.

About 3.25 inches long.

* Purolator Pure One PL14610, about $6.
* Mobil 1 M1-110, about $10.
Made by Champion.
* Bosch 3323, about $6.
Made By Champion.
* WalMart SuperTech ST7317,
about $2. Made by Champion.

Automobile Filters,
about 2.5 inches long.

* AC Delco PF1237
* Baldwin B1400
* Firestone TF2876
* Hastings LF113
* NAPA Gold 1365
* Purolator L14612
* STP S-02876
* WalMart SuperTech ST6607
* WIX 51365

Automobile Filters,
about 3.25 inches long.

* AC Delco PF-2057
* Auto Pro 2356
* Autopride CF240AP
* Baldwin B1402
* Carquest 85356
* Carquest Red B4620
* Casite CF240
* Castrol 7317
* Champion Labs Ph2867
* Defense Filters Dl7317
* Deutsch D-370
* Federated Filters LF240F
* Fram Double Guard DG7317
* Fram PH7317
* Fram Tough Guard TG7317
* Fram Xtra Guard XG7317
* Group 7 V4610
* Group 7 V4620
* Hastings LF240
* Mighty M4612
* Motorcraft Long Life FL-821
* Napa FIL1356
* Napa Gold 1356
* Parts Plus PH2867
* Pennzoil PZ-109
* Penske 7317
* Powerflo SL14610
* Powerflo SL14620
* Pro Gauge PGO-4620
* Pro Tec 164
* Promotive PH4610
* Pronto PO3593A
* Purolator L14610
* Service Champ OF-4622
* Shell SH48
* Shell SH529
* Stp S-02867.
* Valvoline VO50
* Warner PH2867
* Wix 51356

#7 · (Edited)
Found my answer with a little help from Google. All information is from http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/FilterXRef.html See note 5 at the bottom of the linked page. I question the recommendation for the Walmart SuperTech filter. At least the one for my car had significantly less filter surface area....
I think the most important aspect, from personal as well as professional experience, is to simply adhere to a rigorous maintenance schedule. I have no doubt that there are some really crummy filters. The recommended filters on the list I think are certainly more than adequate and should provide no noteworthy problems.

I've had to resort to the Fram 6018 for my V-Strom. I've had many people tell me that they would never use a Fram. Well, the Fram is certainly sufficient for the maintenance schedule I keep. Most of the time my oil is changed by 2,000 miles and some times more frequently. I have also used a number of oils in my bikes and with regard to the Strom I have found that either Mobile 15w-50 (very expensive synthetic) or Castrol 20w-50 (standard petroleum) provide really good transmission characteristics. I've opted to use the Castrol simply because I change the oil more frequently than the factory recommends and this saves me a ton of money. Also, I do not "rag" the bike. Adhering to a reasonable oil change schedule, even with a less than desirable filter will produce no ill effects. Unless of course, there is a filter failure.

Have you ever seen a bike that is treated well suffer from engine failure due to the owner using anything less than the very best oil on the market? I've not. Petroleum oil today vastly exceeds the quality of the best oils available of 25 years ago. I have found that they really are fine products so long as you stay within a reasonable viscosity range. I can say this because I've read a whole lot on the subject over the years. I do wish I had a reasonable alternative for the Fram that was moderately priced but there seem to be none available. I did pay, at one time, $12 for a Purolator. Never again. With reasonable driving habits and careful maintenance I suspect my Strom will cross over the 100,000 mark with little or no fuss. Keep in mind it is an internal combustion engine essentially the same as that found in your automobile. Should last a long time.

You take care.

#9 ·
19mm for right side, 21mm left side. the adjuster nuts are 14MM and 12MM

Also the walmart filter book has a section for motorcycles and list these:
Fram Double Guard DG7317
* Fram PH7317
* Fram Tough Guard TG7317
* Fram Xtra Guard XG7317
for the 500

#11 ·
Hey guys, you guys seem to be the right people to talk to about oil. I changed my oil right before winter storage for mt first maintenance at 500 miles. If I put 50 more miles on it after that I be guessing high. Do you guys think I have to change the oil again this spring? What's the deal with changing it every spring?

#15 ·
The bike has been stored outside under a 'bike barn', but hasn't been started since November.

Fastpakr, I want to make sure I understand what your saying. As long as I run it long enough to burn off any moisture it should be fine? Don't start it and turn it off quicky, when it is cold? Also, we had a long, cold, wet winter in New Jersey, would this make a difference?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.