Sevice Manual electronic version - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
VA.

Sevice Manual electronic version

Hi, can anyone recommend a good electronic version of Service Manual for vn900? There are so many of them out there, some of them must be better then others. And I'm not willing to pay what they charge for a book unless someone can provide compelling reason to...
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 10:09 PM

Ebay has them. As for a reason to get a real copy, electronic copies violate copyright laws. Or so I hear.

2009 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
OEM Engine Guard
OEM Light Bar
OEM Lowers
Mustang Wide Touring Seat
Scootworks Front Overdrive Pulley
Kuryakyn ISO Grips
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
VA.

Yeah, I know, that's where it gets confusing. Too many of them on ebay, I was wondering if anyone bought a copy and can recommend it. Copyright laws, hmmm...what am I going to do about it....
Thanks for your reply though

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 12:46 PM

Compelling reason: If the FSM saves you one trip to the dealer's serivce department, then it will have paid for itself. You'll also save yourself from the guilt of obtaining a pirated copy that I can see is already starting to eat away at you.

I got a used FSM for my HD for 30-bucks on fleabay...if you keep looking, one will prob turn up - or you can gamble 10 bucks for a p-ware copy. Unless you know a 15-year-old kid who can look for a P2P copy out there in the ether - those are about your only options...

Even at 60-bucks, the FSM is worth the cabbage in my opinion, unless you're going to have the dealer swing wrenches on your bike all the time, or you're not going to be keeping the bike for very long.

FWIT - most of the $6 fleabay electronic manuals looked like junk to me - but they do promise 100% satisfaction - or your money back! (less shipping and hastle I'm sure...)

Good luck!

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not."
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 10:36 PM

service manual - electonic version

I bought the $10 electronic version on ebay. The guy sent me a link to download it as well as sent me a CD. It's the full FSM from Kawi. in a fully indexed PDF. I've printed a copy and put it in a 3" binder. Nice since when a section gets oil, grease, etc on it I can reprint it.

Back in the saddle again!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 VN 900 Classic - Red
MS Fats windscreen
Cobra backrest
Fieldsheer Saddlebags
ISO Grips
Kury Hiway pegs
Shark Audio
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 06:27 AM
Top Contributor

Spend thousands on a bike and whine about $60 for the manual. The first time you use it versus going to a stealer it will pay for itself.

2007 Custom
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
VA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baitis View Post
Spend thousands on a bike and whine about $60 for the manual. The first time you use it versus going to a stealer it will pay for itself.
No man, it's not the point, I think they charge too much and not willing to pay it in principal. Why is it that I can buy a paperback bestseller for $10-15 and have to pay $60 for the manual. Doesn't make much sense to me. If they sold it for $20-$30 this thread wouldn't have a reason to exist.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 09:58 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA. View Post
No man, it's not the point, I think they charge too much and not willing to pay it in principal. Why is it that I can buy a paperback bestseller for $10-15 and have to pay $60 for the manual. Doesn't make much sense to me. If they sold it for $20-$30 this thread wouldn't have a reason to exist.
I'll bet you've paid a buck for a 16oz bottle of water that you could have gotten free. That's $8.00 per gallon!
If writers tried to make a living writing "bestsellers" marketed toward the number of people who own Vulcan 900's, while hoping that the same percentage who bought manuals would buy their book, they would probably find another line of work real quick!

Ron in Cincinnati

Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.
.........Bob Seger
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 06:08 AM

There was a thread here about a year ago with a link to a free download site for the Kawi service manual. It's a 2006 manual which is good because there's no change to the bikes since 2006.

Life is a journey, enjoy the ride.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
VA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlrider View Post
There was a thread here about a year ago with a link to a free download site for the Kawi service manual. It's a 2006 manual which is good because there's no change to the bikes since 2006.
Thanks everyone for participating. I ended up buying a pdf on ebay, waiting for CDROM now. I understand the point that even full priced manual is nothing compared to what you save on service and maintenance when you do it yourself, but I feel that the price is just not fare, just as the price of maintenance that a certain dealership charges not fare. I just spent over $100 for oil change (edited to add: they don't even use synthetic oil) and $140 for belt tension adjustment. You can argue that this money spent well and I'll save on future repairs, but I think it's a rip off. They do it because they can just as kawi charges $60 for a book because they can
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode