Yet another exhaust question - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Yet another exhaust question

I see all kinds of ways to make the exhaust louder (replacement, debaffle, etc.). I mostly just wanna make mine deeper. I've done the first stage of debaffling, and while I wouldn't mind it a little louder, I'm happy with the volume.

I saw a V-Star 950 that sounded nice and deep, but it was super loud. Is there any way to get a relatively small (medium) displacement engine like ours to have that low, throaty purr/growl?

My biggest fear is when I die, my wife will sell all my guitars for what I told her I paid for them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 01:44 PM
Top Contributor

I did the second stage debaffle and was really pleased with the moderate volume increase and the deeper sound as well. I would say that stage 2 could not be called excessively loud by anyone. It is nice that while at idle you can talk to some one next to you, but when you really get on the throttle she lets you know it.

Of course, the true source of a deeper sound is to use a larger drum head. In other words, get a 1700 which has bigger pistons and therefore a deeper rumble.

'07 VN900 Classic
Horsepower is an illusion.
Torque is the source of all good things.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep Pirate View Post

Of course, the true source of a deeper sound is to use a larger drum head. In other words, get a 1700 which has bigger pistons and therefore a deeper rumble.
I know you're right, but I was hoping to not have to modify my bike by replacing it

Thanks

My biggest fear is when I die, my wife will sell all my guitars for what I told her I paid for them.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 02:58 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2013 Vulcan Nomad
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Blue/White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Braske View Post
I see all kinds of ways to make the exhaust louder (replacement, debaffle, etc.). I mostly just wanna make mine deeper. I've done the first stage of debaffling, and while I wouldn't mind it a little louder, I'm happy with the volume.

I saw a V-Star 950 that sounded nice and deep, but it was super loud. Is there any way to get a relatively small (medium) displacement engine like ours to have that low, throaty purr/growl?
I would try the stage 2 debaffle with 4 holes instead of 8. Not too loud, but definately a little deeper.

I did see a 2 into 1 exhaust with good sound on you tube. I cannot remember the manufacturer though.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 01:12 PM

Sorry if this seems like an attempted hijacking, but when you did the stage-1, did you drill a 7/8" hole in the center pipe or did you just use a 7/8" rebar with a RBH? (really big hammer)
I'm still trying to decide which route to take for my S-1. I "might" progress to a full debaffle eventually, but I had my doubts about the rebar whack, and was wondering...
Let us know if you drill the 4 holes, and how you like the sound, as I might change my mind about the full debaffle. My other bike is fully debaffled, and it was GREAT!!! - for about 300 miles. Now...I find myself wearing ear plugs when I ride that bike. A helmet can give you something like a boom-box effect, and I've found that I can actually get a headache during a longer ride!!
Go slowly and carefully. You can always drill more holes...you can't always "rebaffle"!!!

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not."
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 09:22 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2013 Vulcan Nomad
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Blue/White
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETC(SS) View Post
Sorry if this seems like an attempted hijacking, but when you did the stage-1, did you drill a 7/8" hole in the center pipe or did you just use a 7/8" rebar with a RBH? (really big hammer)
I'm still trying to decide which route to take for my S-1. I "might" progress to a full debaffle eventually, but I had my doubts about the rebar whack, and was wondering...
Let us know if you drill the 4 holes, and how you like the sound, as I might change my mind about the full debaffle. My other bike is fully debaffled, and it was GREAT!!! - for about 300 miles. Now...I find myself wearing ear plugs when I ride that bike. A helmet can give you something like a boom-box effect, and I've found that I can actually get a headache during a longer ride!!
Go slowly and carefully. You can always drill more holes...you can't always "rebaffle"!!!
ETC,
I used the 7/8 inch hole saw and 12" extension. It took about 60 seconds to do both pipes. I'd be willing to ship em both to you if you promise to ship em back. It might save you a few bucks.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Hole saw. I try to keep the BFH away from things like motorcycles.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 08:05 AM

Hole saw it is! I rather thought that was going to be the right way to do it!

Bill - The exhaust mod for Harley (VRSC) is almost the same as the Vulcan - and they're right. If you do a stage-2 with 2, then 4, then more as needed holes before doing a full debaffle - you'll deepen the sound a bit before the volume gets too loud for your riding tastes...the only thing I can add is to ride the bike for a bit before you knock more holes in the baffle wall. I debaffled before I realized how loud it wold be for a 3-4 hour ride. This should also be applicable on the VN900. The VRSC has an 1130cc motor, so the "drum head" isn't that much bigger.

KenDawg - I deeply appreciate your offer!!! I'll go ahead and get the extension and the 7/8" (bi-metal?) hole saw from HD (Home Depot - NOT Harley Davidson!!)
I don't like to borrow tools when I can avoid it!!!
The 12" extension, hole saws (3" for later!) and a good 1/2" metal drill dit will be faaaar less than the cheapest aftermarket exhaust system.

I'm probably going to pick up a pair of "warranty-work" pipes B4 I get too far along, both for the unlikely event that I have to return my bike to the stealer for repair, and for the much more likely event that I mess up during the later stages of debaffling... but I'm thinking that I'll do the Stage-1 right away.

I HATE riding a silent bike!!
Thanks again.

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not."

Last edited by ETC(SS); 08-08-2010 at 08:16 AM. Reason: why use 25 words when you can use 250?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 10:46 AM

I've done the 7/8in hole saw on two sets of stock pipes now, (nothing else). I agree with try it for a while after each step... once you get a few hundred miles I think you'll notice a bigger difference than on day one. At least thats been my experience.

2016 Indian Dark Horse Chief w/Distressed tan leather
2010 VN 900 Custom SE Tourer
F&S SE Back Rest w/3" extensions
Roadkrome Sturgis Hardbags
Corbin Dual Tourer
Turn Signals w/Smoke Covers
Genmar Risers
Black Mirrors
Black 09 SE Pipes Stage 2 De-baffle
Blacked-Out Handlebar Controls
2008 HD FLH Fairing w/stereo and 6in shield
CC Crash Bar Black
Passenger and driver Floor Boards (Chrome)
Pirelli 200 Rear&90/90 Front

USCG CWO (Ret)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 11:56 AM
Top Contributor

After installing my Cobra pipes, I thought my ride sounded pretty good. After starting it up next to bigger displacement bikes, it still sounds good, but not as deep as you describe. After I added the Arlen Ness Bifg Sucker last week, it sounded a bit lower, but still not with the desired deepenss. My answer is that after the Vulcan is paid off, I'll be seeking my second bike which will be more suited for longer touring rides and can better accomodate riding 2-up. This will more than likely mean a deeper sounding ride.

Sorry, but drilling and debaffling will make it louder, it still won't be deep. Nothing sounds like a big bike like a big bike!!!

Mark...Rollingbones
2011 Harley Road King FLHR
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Vulcan 900 Classic (Sold)
American Legion Riders Post 383
Patriot Guard Riders
Sacramento Metro Fire CERT
West Fair Oaks Neighborhood Watch

Last edited by Rollingbones; 08-08-2010 at 11:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode