Gas and Servicing - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

Gas and Servicing

I have a 2009 vulcan 900, should I use regular gas or premium gas. Also Iwas told to get my valves readjusted at 1000 miles as well as changed my rear gunk whatever that is. nedd help not sure if all that is the truth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 11:46 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2013 Vulcan Nomad
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Blue/White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fects View Post
I have a 2009 vulcan 900, should I use regular gas or premium gas. Also Iwas told to get my valves readjusted at 1000 miles as well as changed my rear gunk whatever that is. nedd help not sure if all that is the truth
Octane 87

Read your service manual for requirements (pg 75). After your initial 600, you shouldn't need to do anything until around 3750 miles. They will check your belt deflection, spokes, brakes, etc. I can't find my manual right now or I would give you specifics. I am quite sure a valve adjustment would not be in order.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 04:24 AM

Garage
Valve adjustment is recommended at 15,000 miles (24,000 km)

Relax and enjoy the ride!

'09 900LT
—Mustang Wide Studded Touring Seat
—Metz ME 880s
—Irons In The Fire lowers
—Küry Iso Grips w/Throttle Boss
...and a bunch of other little stuff

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 07:02 AM
Lifetime Premium

Using a brand name premium gas has completely eliminated the backfiring from my 900LT.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtavakra View Post
Using a brand name premium gas has completely eliminated the backfiring from my 900LT.
I use 87....(regular). There are still 2 independents in my area that (say they) sell non-Ethanolated gas - although that may go away this September.

Personally - I think a VN900 will run fine on any pump gas - and unless you bolt a turbo, a supercharger, or start huffing giggle gas, you're probably not going to notice any difference between Regular, Premium, Ethanol, or Non - Assuming you don't try to use E85 gas, which is unavailable in my area...
However (comma) there are always folks out there who have machines that run better on Premium - and NOBODY knows a motorcycle better than its operator (usually!)
I had a Mazda Protege once that pinged like CRAZY on non-premium gas (from the factory) and nothing I could do or adjust would change that, and OH how I tried for 250,000 miles!
Since the price delta between 87 and 93 Octane for 5 gallons of gas is only about a buck or so - I'd say burn whatever the heck you want to! Just don't let someone get away with telling you that you HAVE to. The VN900's compression ratio is pretty low - about 9.5:1 - which is well within the "regular pump gas" range for most motors.

JMHO.

Ride Safe!

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not."

Last edited by ETC(SS); 08-06-2010 at 08:31 AM.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 09:02 AM

my 900 seems to run fine on 87 or 91 octane but i DO get better mileage with the 91. i average about 42-43 mpg on the 87 and about 46-47 on the 91 - i do the math on every tank.

Darkside 2008 Vulcan 900 Custom debadged
Metallic Diablo Black
HK 2 into 1 Sideburner
Baron's BAK
Cobra fi2000r EFI Tuner
Cobra Short Sissybar
Scootworks Front Pulley
GenMar Risers
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 10:22 AM
Top Contributor

The cost difference on 5 gallons makes no difference. I haven't noticed any great gas mileage difference between 85-91 octane and running sea-foam will help clean up excess carbon that higher octane will build in your engine.

Getting close to 40,000 on my bike and the valve shims haven't needed to be changed yet. But you should check em every 15,000.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 10:39 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETC(SS) View Post
I use 87....(regular). There are still 2 independents in my area that (say they) sell non-Ethanolated gas - although that may go away this September.

Personally - I think a VN900 will run fine on any pump gas - and unless you bolt a turbo, a supercharger, or start huffing giggle gas, you're probably not going to notice any difference between Regular, Premium, Ethanol, or Non - Assuming you don't try to use E85 gas, which is unavailable in my area...
However (comma) there are always folks out there who have machines that run better on Premium - and NOBODY knows a motorcycle better than its operator (usually!)
I had a Mazda Protege once that pinged like CRAZY on non-premium gas (from the factory) and nothing I could do or adjust would change that, and OH how I tried for 250,000 miles!
Since the price delta between 87 and 93 Octane for 5 gallons of gas is only about a buck or so - I'd say burn whatever the heck you want to! Just don't let someone get away with telling you that you HAVE to. The VN900's compression ratio is pretty low - about 9.5:1 - which is well within the "regular pump gas" range for most motors.

JMHO.

Ride Safe!
The owners manual specifically states that an 87 octane is the MINIMUM to be used. It also says if you hear pinging or knocking use a higher rated octane. Backfiring or baby farts is an indication something is wrong, it is unburned fuel being ignited after the power stroke from incomplete combustion.

Most pump gasoline now has about 10% ethanol added which compounds the problems of the above mentioned.

Also, do you believe that the octane you are getting? If you do then you trust the oil companies to test each batch according to the RON+MON/2 formula. They are supposed to be tested using a VARIABLE compression engine each time. In capitalism corners get cut.

I don’t know if the bike runs better or not, it is not a performance machine(You have a VRod and I have a Buell for that). All I know it doesn’t backfire anymore.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 12:14 PM

Quote:
The owners manual specifically states that an 87 octane is the MINIMUM to be used. It also says if you hear pinging or knocking use a higher rated octane. Backfiring or baby farts is an indication something is wrong, it is unburned fuel being ignited after the power stroke from incomplete combustion.
Heck...I don't know how you can hear ANYTHING over the racket that those valves are making. Anyway - I concur....As I said earlier, NORMALLY a bike's owner is best suited to judge whether or not a higher octane is warranted. I'm just pointing out what the service manual says...and they probably SWAG'd the 87 number....overseas and in some of the western states "Regular" means 85....

Quote:
Most pump gasoline now has about 10% ethanol added which compounds the problems of the above mentioned.
Yeah...tell me about it. I'm about to loose my prime source of non-eth. I don't think it'll impact me very much with the Kawi though...

Quote:
Also, do you believe that the octane you are getting? ...In capitalism corners get cut.
I do...mostly. I think that there are a lot of "anti-big company" folks out there that would juuuuust LOVE to catch Exxon or BP selliing 83 Octane gas as 87. Think of the fines! I'm pretty sure that the rating accuracy is deep in the 99-percentile range. Personally...I'll leave big government versus big company debates to other forums.
We get into heated debates on oil viscosities and filter selections!

Quote:
I don’t know if the bike runs better or not, it is not a performance machine(You have a VRod and I have a Buell for that). All I know it doesn’t backfire anymore.
Nuff said! (besides the small point of your Buell being more of a performance machine than my VRSCD!)

Ride Well!

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not."

Last edited by ETC(SS); 08-06-2010 at 12:16 PM. Reason: @!%$# HTML!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 03:08 PM

Quote:

Also, do you believe that the octane you are getting? If you do then you trust the oil companies to test each batch according to the RON+MON/2 formula. They are supposed to be tested using a VARIABLE compression engine each time. In capitalism corners get cut.

The refinery where I work tests the heck out of gasoline blends and they would get into serious trouble for selling out-of-spec gasoline.

'09 Vulcan 900 Custom
'08 Concours 14
'05 CBR1000RR Repsol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode