600 mile service - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

Question 600 mile service

Hello,

Should I bring the bike to a dealer or do it myself? The dealer wants $190. I can get an oil filter for $10. Does the belt need any adjustment at 600 miles?

Thanks,

Milt Smith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 07:28 AM
Lifetime Premium

It wouldn't hurt to check the belt adjustment, but it is probably just fine(unless you have been pulling wheelies), though some here have reported their belts from the factory as being too tight and noisey. You will need a special tool to check tension and a service manual.

An easy visual check for alignment can be made by looking at the rear pulley. The space between the belt and the lips of the pulley should be close. I measured mine with a feeler gauge and it was something like .030" outside and .040" inside.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 08:10 AM

Do it yourself!
There is an excellent U-tube video that details the oil change. Which oil you use will depend on your location and individual preference, and there's much discussion and debate on oil/oil filter choices right here in this forum. My opinion (value: $0.02) is that if you change your oil every season/3K - then you're just not going to have any problems. I prefer to pick a flavor and stick with that oil consistently. My oil filter was tight from the factory! I used a filter wrench that I bought for my Exmark to get it off, but a $3 "pliers" type wrench will do the job - or a strap.
It's EASY! All you need is a 17MM and a 10MM socket and/or wrench.
Here's a link to this site for more details:
http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/fo...ange-pics.html
Once you've gotten the oil changed, and the belt looks OK - just check things like fluid levels, brake pads, clutch cable. Look for loose bolts - early corrosion (you'd be surprised!) etc....
Take some of the $150 you saved and buy a factory service manual. The first time that the manual saves you a trip to the dealer - then it will have more than paid for itself!

GOOD LUCK!

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not."

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 10:52 AM
Top Contributor

Do it yourself and keep receipts. After changing the oil and cleaning the screen check everything else, especially everything that has a torque value.

2007 Custom
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 10:59 AM

Agreed, do it yourself!! Theres no better way to really get acquainted with the scoot than a little "hands on"! BTW, I changed the oil in my bike and the wifeys bike for under $36 bucks, Wallyworld has everything you need. Price included Rotella T synthetic oil, two Supertech filters, a drain pan and a funnel.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 11:52 AM
Top Contributor

I'm a firm believer in a dealership 1st service, as they do more than change the oil. They're supposed to go over all the bolts, check for excessive break-in wear, etc. etc. Of course, that's just my opinion, but to me it would help in the long run should any warranty questions come up. Since the 1st service, I've been doing all the rest myself.

BACA Pretzel - Flyin' the highways in OK!
'08 Vulcan 1600 Nomad - "Grace"
Metallic Diablo Black/Candy Fire Red
LED Run/Turn/Brake
Vance and Hines Duals
Dobeck TFI
Kuryakyn Flame grips with Throttle Boss and Stiletto endcaps
Kuryakyn Longhorn offset highway pegs
Vista throttle lock
OEM light bar and luggage rack

B.A.C.A. Member, Oklahoma Chapter

Out to pasture - 2008 Vulcan 900 Custom: Redemption
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 12:17 PM

600 mile initial service

The only problem MIGHT be is if a warrenty issue arose. When I bought my new 900 the dealership cautioned me that the 600 mile service was required as part of the warranty aggreement with Kawasaki.. I'm not sure how "carved in stone" that is but ...I took mine in and had the 600 mile service performed at the dealership ($175) just to avoid the hassle on the off chance that something were to go wrong in the next year.

As mentioned ...I'd definitely keep receipts ...
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cravellier View Post
The only problem MIGHT be is if a warrenty issue arose. When I bought my new 900 the dealership cautioned me that the 600 mile service was required as part of the warranty aggreement with Kawasaki.. I'm not sure how "carved in stone" that is but ...I took mine in and had the 600 mile service performed at the dealership ($175) just to avoid the hassle on the off chance that something were to go wrong in the next year.

As mentioned ...I'd definitely keep receipts ...
Agreed...while kawasaki will probably still honor the warranty it may be a fight if you don't have the first service done by the dealer. The price tag does sound a bit high, I had the first service done for 135.00 at my dealer at 1000 miles. I was told the 600 mile mark isn't set in stone, it should be done between 600 and 1000 miles.

Later,
darknight

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknight View Post
Agreed...while kawasaki will probably still honor the warranty it may be a fight if you don't have the first service done by the dealer. The price tag does sound a bit high, I had the first service done for 135.00 at my dealer at 1000 miles. I was told the 600 mile mark isn't set in stone, it should be done between 600 and 1000 miles.
Check out the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975 - your "stealership" cannot under this federal law require you to have factory service to enable the warranty.
That said, I do agree with Sketso, about the things the dealer does but I did mine myself, it is a great time to get in touch with all the things that keep the rubber side down!!!

2009 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
Red / Silver
Waterboy's lowers - modded slightly to fit the lightbar
Mustang Studded Seat
Cobra Lightbar
Phat 1 Risers
Rear floorboards-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode