Completed Performance Mods Report... - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Completed Performance Mods Report...

Today I completed my four point performance improvement for my Vulcan. It started last December when Santa brought me some Cobra 2 into 1 Power Pro pipes. They were very, very loud so they got baffled. The noise level was setting of car alarms 2-4 times a week. Unfortunately once they were quieted down enough, some of the performance gain was lost. Phase two was the Scootworks front pulley. The performance gain was achieving desired cruising speeds with lower RPMs. This works very nicely as well.
Now for the other two mods. I did replace my stock air filter with a K&N makeshift filter about a year ago. (Gain was minimal and today I saw why. ) Riding 2-up with bigger bikes at times was a bit of a challenge in the Sierras so I needed some more juice. I also developed some popping when downshifting. I decided to install a high volume air filter along with a fuel management device. I chose the Arlen Ness Big Sucker and the Cobra fi2000 (had to get the Calif. Model). First I removed the stock air box. ÖSPECIAL NOTE: For those of you desperately wanting a K&N filter for your 900, forget about it!!! The airway for the air box doesnít allow enough air to get into the box to make any significant difference unless you do additional modifications, plus it sucks air in between the cylinder heads, heating it up as it goes in.***

Once the airbox was off, I first installed the fuel manager. If you get one of these, make sure you check the four connections (2 of them can be plugged in backwards negating any connection). Its plug-n-go application makes it quick and easy. After that I installed the Big Sucker. Again installation was fairly quick and easy.

TEST RIDE: All I can say is when I got on the bike and hit the throttle the first two words that went through my mind were HOT DAMN!!! The bike is much more responsive off the line. Each time I stepped on it to make a quick maneuver, the power was there both at high as well as lower RPM situations. On the freeway, the RPMs needed to cruse are still the same (no surprise there), but the bike fells more like it wants to run. I had it up to only about 80-85 (very briefly) and the power curve held out quite nicely. Itís almost like I had a couple hundred more ccís of power to work with. The last thing that impressed me that when at much lower and slower RPM situations (like on a residential street), the bike was struggling much less holding its own which will help increase the running range of each gear (very helpful with the front pulley install). Iíll be looking forward to see how this all works the next time we ride 2-up, but my hopes are high and I expect an improvement there as well. At the moment Iím very pleased with how it all came out. So here again are the mods:

Scootworks front overdrive pulley
Cobra 2 into 1 Power Pro Pipes
Cobra fi2000 fuel management device
Arlen Ness Big Air Sucker

Mark...Rollingbones
2011 Harley Road King FLHR
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Vulcan 900 Classic (Sold)
American Legion Riders Post 383
Patriot Guard Riders
Sacramento Metro Fire CERT
West Fair Oaks Neighborhood Watch
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 11:11 PM

Sounds good! I have the same issue, My wife and I ride alot and there is not enough juice. I have debaffled my pipes, installed the scootworks pulley, and modified the stock air box. My gains were nill, I was doubtful about the fuel processor, but have nothing else to go on. I actually wanted to remove the cylinder heads, have them milled to get approx 10.5:1 compression, have them ported for low end velocity for more TQ. Have custom grind cams,Then add a fuel processor, and pick up some serious TQ and HP. But I cant find anyone who does this kind of head work on bikes, and cannot find cams for it.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 05:29 AM
Top Contributor

So ya done spending money? I moved the air inlet under the idle adjuster and blocked off the OE inlet - but haven't gotten around to taking any temp or air speed measurements yet.

2007 Custom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode