Scratch on Fender - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

Scratch on Fender

Got a nice scratch on the rear fender, anyone have suggestions on a product to "rub it out" without damaging the finish?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtipton View Post
Got a nice scratch on the rear fender, anyone have suggestions on a product to "rub it out" without damaging the finish?
It depends on how deep it is. If you run your finger nail across it can you feel it? Does it catch the nail? If so it may be deep enough that it needs to be wet sanded and buffed or it may even be below the clear which means it will have to be painted. If not, you can use a good automotive rubbing compound (like 3M #6085).

Wash the fender with soap and water to get any dust off which will be abrasive. Rub the area fairly hard with the compound on a soft rag. Follow that up with a polish or wax.

You could also take it to an auto detailer and have it buffed and polished.

07 Vulcan 900 Custom
Arlen Ness Big Sucker Intake
Power Commander III
BC Billet Mirrors
BC Chrome Grips
Cobra Speedster Slashdowns
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 05:32 AM
Top Contributor

Depends how deep. The paint is very thin, as I found out when I dinged my tank. Color Rite has pencil size paint and clear coat.

2007 Custom

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 08:50 AM
Top Contributor

I agree with the others that it depends on how deep the scratch is. The fingernail test is a good indication of whether you are through the clear coat or not. If not, then the rubbing compound should work. 3M also makes a product called Finese-it. This is still a polish, not a wax. Basically, rubbing compound is like a really high grit sand paper. Finese-it is much, much finer than rubbing compound. I have used it on boats and automobiles.

You first wash the area clean with soap & water and dry the area. Then use rubbing compound to get out the worst of the scratches or dulling. Then follow up with Finese-it. At this point the paint or gel coat will look mirror finish. You still then follow up with a good wax to protect the finish.

I used to work at Overton's Marine supply (catalog company), and we tested this stuff on a friend's boat. It was a grey and yellow Mastercraft that had been used for about 10 years. The boat was in good shape, but all the shine was long gone from the fiberglass. When we finished with the process, the boat looked like it had just come from the factory floor. Excepting of course for where there were any deep scratches that went through the gel coat. You could literally see a deep reflection of yourself in the finish. Anyway, just thought I would share.

'07 VN900 Classic
Horsepower is an illusion.
Torque is the source of all good things.

Last edited by Jeep Pirate; 08-05-2010 at 08:52 AM.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 12:26 PM

Try Eagle One from a local auto parts store.

Use it in a back and forth motion or a side to side motion, do not do it in a circular motion.

I have used it to take out swirls, scratches, haze, etc. I even had put touch up paint on my Suzuki and after some time of rubbing back and forth, it blended right in with my paint. You couldn't even tell it was touched up.

Worse case scenario it will take out any haze and swirls in the paint giving it a nice wet look.

My two cents.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 05:57 PM

Just curious which Eagle one product you used? They make quite a few different products. I bought my bike used and the previous owner had throw over saddle bags and dulled the finish on the fender, sounds like something like this might bring the shine back. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by otrp View Post
Try Eagle One from a local auto parts store.

Use it in a back and forth motion or a side to side motion, do not do it in a circular motion.

I have used it to take out swirls, scratches, haze, etc. I even had put touch up paint on my Suzuki and after some time of rubbing back and forth, it blended right in with my paint. You couldn't even tell it was touched up.

Worse case scenario it will take out any haze and swirls in the paint giving it a nice wet look.

My two cents.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 07:38 PM

canyonman50

I've used it for what you describe in the past and it did a pretty good job.

I am using the 16 oz. liquid bottle. I got it from Pep Boys.
It has nanowax in it. It fills fine scratches and conceals swirl marks. It has really done some great things for me.
If you try it remember, don't apply in a circular motion.

I am not a brander, I just share what has worked.

Hope this helps.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

Checked at Advanced Auto and Auto Works and neither carried the 3m or Eagle product. Guess I'll need to drive into the city to find it. Thanks for all the suggestions!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 10:49 PM

Thanks otrp, I did see the one with nanowax, will pick one up next time I am in. Thank you again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode