How do I rid myself of rust without breaking the bank? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

How do I rid myself of rust without breaking the bank?

Hey all,
As some of you know, I bought a used 2006 Vulcan. The previous owner said he had rode it in the rain and not properly dried it off. This resulted in quite a few rust spots. When I bought it, I figured they would be relatively easy to get rid of, but didn't really know the correct method to do so. Here are the pics:

So I need a way to rid my ride of this. If possible, an inexpensive way would be nice, but I'm open to any suggestions, including buying some of the small parts if that has to be done. I don't know where to begin, but I'm sure the experts on this forum can steer me in some direction.
-Rob

2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

Forgot to post this one... Another part that needs taken care of:

-Rob

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 09:04 PM
Lifetime Premium

He lied to you. It sat in the rain, for extended periods of time. The exhaust confirms that. If the bike is running it'll be hot, right? the water would not rust the hot exhaust.
Any way, each of those is so minute that it should be an easy job, problem is most of those parts will need be removed to handle them. For all the affected areas I would use Chrome Polish. You can buy it about any where, WalMart, Autozone, etc. Don't use it on the outside of your pipes because it is abrasive and will leave extremely fine minute scratches in the chrome. Small chrome pieces will never show the scratches, they are really fine.

'98 800a w/aluminum wheels/tubeless tires
Iron Butt Ass.#34911

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 09:10 PM
Lifetime Premium

[QUOTE=Bob Myers;71250]He lied to you. It sat in the rain, for extended periods of time. The exhaust confirms that. If the bike is running it'll be hot, right? the water would not rust the hot exhaust.
Any way, each of those is so minute that it should be an easy job, problem is most of those parts will need be removed to handle them. For all the affected areas I would use Chrome Polish. QUOTE]

chrome polish as stated above, try using it with a toothbrush for those hard to get to places.

As i flipped into 5th, i couldnt remember a damn thing she said

2009 Classic LT Bagger ... SOLD .... ... Batwing Fairing, Metzler 200 rear, Mutazu Hard Bags, Denray Hitch, Mustang Seat, Piggybacker Trailer. traded on a Versys 650 LT ... Loaded

2010 Custom [I] ... traded on a 2015 Ninja 650 Abs traded on a 2016 Versys 650 LT ... Loaded
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 10:08 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2013 Vulcan Nomad
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Blue/White
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06Vulcan900 View Post
Hey all,
As some of you know, I bought a used 2006 Vulcan. The previous owner said he had rode it in the rain and not properly dried it off. This resulted in quite a few rust spots. When I bought it, I figured they would be relatively easy to get rid of, but didn't really know the correct method to do so. Here are the pics:

So I need a way to rid my ride of this. If possible, an inexpensive way would be nice, but I'm open to any suggestions, including buying some of the small parts if that has to be done. I don't know where to begin, but I'm sure the experts on this forum can steer me in some direction.
-Rob

For the components that aren't shiny, I would use crocus cloth or a copper toothed wire brush and CLP (Cleaner, Lubricant, Preservative). CLP is used by the U.S. Army for cleaning and maintaining weapons. It contains teflon which when dry, forms a thin protective coating. I used this method to maintain AH1F, AH-64 and AH-64D attack helicopter weapon systems for over two decades. (Not to mention my M-9, M16, M4, M60 and the big M2) The rust will not come off easy but a good portion of it will. Do not try this with anything you want to shine. For that, follow the previous suggestions. You can get CLP from anywhere that sells firearms.

Last edited by KenDawg; 08-03-2010 at 10:33 PM.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Myers View Post
He lied to you. It sat in the rain, for extended periods of time. The exhaust confirms that. If the bike is running it'll be hot, right? the water would not rust the hot exhaust.
Any way, each of those is so minute that it should be an easy job, problem is most of those parts will need be removed to handle them. For all the affected areas I would use Chrome Polish. You can buy it about any where, WalMart, Autozone, etc. Don't use it on the outside of your pipes because it is abrasive and will leave extremely fine minute scratches in the chrome. Small chrome pieces will never show the scratches, they are really fine.
That's right. I ride all of my bikes in the rain, and not one of them has rusted like that. And by riding in the rain I mean commuting, so when I get to the office I'm not going to dry it, and it remains outside, uncovered. And when I get home, it gets parked in a covered garage, but I'm not going to wash it dry it daily, in fact, I don't wash them at all during rain season.

To me it seems like that bike was ridden on salty roads and/or sat for long periods of time under the rain.

---

Go soothingly on the greasy mud, for therein lies the skid demon
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Süsser Tod View Post
That's right. I ride all of my bikes in the rain, and not one of them has rusted like that. And by riding in the rain I mean commuting, so when I get to the office I'm not going to dry it, and it remains outside, uncovered. And when I get home, it gets parked in a covered garage, but I'm not going to wash it dry it daily, in fact, I don't wash them at all during rain season.

To me it seems like that bike was ridden on salty roads and/or sat for long periods of time under the rain.
+1 on this and the CLP post.

I do not have a garage to put either one of my scoots in - and they've BOTH seen action in the rain. The CLP will help a lot with all the various fittings and metal bits once you get the surface rust off. Never-Dull (comes in a can) is pretty good for REMOVING the rust, although you may need to use chrome polish or even a bronze or copper brush/wadding on some of the more stubborn pieces. Once un-corroded, the CLP will help keep it that way.
I'm TOLD that Windex is one of the better things out there to clean chrome with - once it's cooled down.
When I don't have time to thoroughly clean the bike after being ridden in the rain, I use a fresh water rinse, and an inexpensive leaf blower that I use only for blowing off the bike. My wife calls it the "Harley Hairdryer" and I can have the bike rinsed and dried off in a few minutes.
If you're one of those people who HAVE to buy expensive baubles for your "baby" - Harley makes a small hand held blower that they'll be happy to sell you for about $60.

You don't have to keep your bike in a hermetically sealed, climate controlled environment, and only take it out on sunny, low humidity, non dusty days to keep it in pretty good shape.

Ride Safe!

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not."
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 04:15 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Black
Garage
Yet another in agreement that you were fed a line. It sat outside for an extended period.

Looks to me as though everything except the tripletree and the exhaust can be fairly easily removed and buffed up. Maybe a dremel with an extension for the triple tree?

For the exhaust, i'd just get a high-temp, flat black spray paint and squirt it around in there.

Keep the Shiny Side Up!
'09 900 Custom SE on the Darkside
"Not all those who wander are lost." J.R.R. Tolkien
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the suggestions. I suppose I need to invest in some CLP first and see how good that works. I never knew that chrome polish was abrasive. I will try that on the small pieces as well if the CLP doesn't do the trick. I knew it had these eyesores when I bought it, so I won't complain or anything. Hopefully I can get all of the rust removed and eventually getting it shined to an acceptable degree.
-Rob

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 07:51 PM
Top Contributor

I would Google motorcycle/ auto restoration
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode