Can't call me Sqeaky no more! - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Can't call me Sqeaky no more!

I added the Scootwork front OD pulley about 3 weeks ago. The first time I had the belt way to tight. Squalled like a cat in a frying pan. So I loosened it up a good bit but it still squealed some. At 55mph you couldn't hear it. But at 35-40 in town it sounded like crickets or cicadas. At first I thought it was out of alignment and rubbing against the side of the pulley. I found out that it was in line, but I couldn't get rid of the squeal. I tries wax but that melted off after 30 minutes at 95 degrees F. I rode it maybe 15-20 hours with this annoying noise. I commute with the bike about 2 hours a day when it isn't raining.

Last night I put it back up on the jack and pulled off the OD pulley. I could see where I was wearing into the metal of the pulley a little with the belt. I don't know if this was from the first way to tight test ride or the later not as tight commutes. The belt looked fine but the pulley was a bit rough looking down in the pockets. I put it back together and just barely snugged it up. Of course it gets a little tighter when you put the bike on the ground and sit on it. Now the squeak is gone. I do hear the slightest of squeaks when coasting below 5mph, but I think it was always that way.

I was thinking this belt needed to be tightened like a v-belt which uses friction for tranfer of force. But with those teeth on the belt, it acts more like a chain so you don't want it to tight. I got the belt in line by letting it run in 1st gear while on the jack. Then I just adjusted the tension bolts until she was tracking where I want it. Like I said above, to much tension seems to be a lot worse than to little with this belt/pulley setup. I mean, you would have to have the belt practically falling off before it would slip anyway. I ended up with my rear axle mark falling about mid-way between the 1st & 2nd mark on the tensioner. I know that may be different for others since belts stretch. But either way, I am just happy that 99.9% of my belt noise is now gone.

Just thought I would share.

'07 VN900 Classic
Horsepower is an illusion.
Torque is the source of all good things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 11:29 AM
Lifetime Premium

I had my mechanic install mine the other day and asked him about the tension and alighnment as well as the squeeling that some were experiencing and his comment was as follows.

The belt is tensioned to kawasaki specs using a tension guage, the belt and pulley alighnment is done visually using the position of the belt in relationship to the rear pulley, ie ... sitting in the middle of the puley with clearance on both sides. The biggest issue is when you tighten the axel, this can move the alighnment as you tighten it. Forget the markers on the frame ... they are just that, markers, if the belt is centered then your wheel is running true.( Of course this was done with the rear wheel off the ground / platform )

I have not had any squeeking noises since having it installed, i no longer look for 6 gear and find that the bike is even more enjoyable riding in the 0 to 70 mph range. Good luck to you all.

Cheers Maurice

As i flipped into 5th, i couldnt remember a damn thing she said
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 Classic LT Bagger ... SOLD .... ... Batwing Fairing, Metzler 200 rear, Mutazu Hard Bags, Denray Hitch, Mustang Seat, Piggybacker Trailer. traded on a Versys 650 LT ... Loaded

2010 Custom [I] ... traded on a 2015 Ninja 650 Abs traded on a 2016 Versys 650 LT ... Loaded
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

I agree fully with what your dealer said Whiting. Of course I am a CHEAP @$$, and am trying to do it without the tension guage. I think my issue was being over zealous on the tension and now she is happier with the looser belt. It probably is closer to actual spec now than it was before. Thanks for the input.

PS- Before the OD pulley, I seriously thought of making T-shirts that said "Searching for 6th!"

'07 VN900 Classic

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 03:40 PM
Top Contributor

Everything I have ever read suggests that the belt should be tracking to the far left of the pulley (looking from the rear). Your saying it works well in the middle of the pulley?

2009 VN900 Classic LT.
Nova Scotia, Canada.
Cobra luggage rack.
Kuryakyn Grand Tourer luggage bag.
Kuryakyn air filter cover.
170/80/15 Metzler rear tire.
Fire and Ice passenger floorboards.
Stage 2 debaffle (screens left intact).
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

You may be asking the other guy, but mine is working well running center left on the rear which makes the front pretty much dead center. I mean it moves around a little while spinning, but most of the time it is favoring from the left edge to center on the rear pully.

'07 VN900 Classic
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 05:31 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep Pirate View Post

PS- Before the OD pulley, I seriously thought of making T-shirts that said "Searching for 6th!"
aint that the truth ..... i would have bought one for sure lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 Classic LT Bagger ... SOLD .... ... Batwing Fairing, Metzler 200 rear, Mutazu Hard Bags, Denray Hitch, Mustang Seat, Piggybacker Trailer. traded on a Versys 650 LT ... Loaded

2010 Custom [I] ... traded on a 2015 Ninja 650 Abs traded on a 2016 Versys 650 LT ... Loaded
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 06:23 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenthill View Post
Everything I have ever read suggests that the belt should be tracking to the far left of the pulley (looking from the rear). Your saying it works well in the middle of the pulley?
I have gaps on both sides of my rear pulley, probably what you would call center left,(may be 1 mm) it is however not touching or up against either side of my pulley. He (the mechanic) said that he adjusts for the lack of belt noise vs using markers, i could not imagine that with the bikes wheelbase that "crabbing" or tracking would be an issue,, i have not noticed any change to the handling or ride since this installation.

Last edited by whiting57; 08-03-2010 at 06:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode