Scootworks front pulley for sale. - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Scootworks front pulley for sale. SOLD!!!

I have a new, still sealed in plastic, pulley for sale. I just don't see the point in installing it. I'll sell it for $150.00 plus actual shipping charges. When you install it, if your bike has a tach, this is the difference you'll see.
Nothing!
The speed sensor reads the output (pulley) shaft RPM and converts it to speedometer speed. The only thing that will change is your actual speed, and your speedometer will read a little more accurately.
My bike with the stock pulley shows around 3925 RPM at 70 MPH indicated.
The GPS actual speed is 63.5 MPH. When I accelerate to a true 70 MPH, the tach then shows about 4175 RPM, or a 250 RPM difference.
Math calculations and even Scootworks show that the ratio change will give you a 5.9% reduction in engine speed. With the original pulley installed, if 4175 gave you a true GPS speed of 70 MPH, you can count on 4175 RPM minus 5.9% would equal a drop of 246 RPM. You will then be cruising a true 70 MPH while turning 3929 RPM.
I've seen claims here alluding to a 1000 RPM drop, and others say it's like having a whole new bike! It's only giving you approximately a 250 RPM drop at 70 MPH! The only way you're going to see a 1000 RPM drop is when you realize you've forgotten to shift out of fourth!
I would like to see a sixth gear too, but I would like to see it in the form of having a closer-ratio gearset through the range.
I'm also in favor of overdrive, but not in every gear! I can cruise through town at 35 MPH at the bottom end of third gear without feeling like I'm lugging the engine. With the overdrive pulley installed, I would probably want to remain in second gear at the same speed.
Sorry if I don't count this pulley in the same category as sliced bread, but I just don't think the effort, and the problems with adjustments and belt squeaks is worth it.
So who wants it?

Ron in Cincinnati

Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.
.........Bob Seger

Last edited by pacomutt; 08-05-2010 at 09:38 AM. Reason: 3rd. grade spelling error
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 02:27 PM

Gee...
I was going to SNAP it up - but I think you talked me out of it.
I'll wait and see if others also experience belt problems. Both of my bikes (the other is a V-Rod) suffer from the same problem when I try to shift into sixth gear. Unlike my other bike, the VN900 seems to be much happier at 55mph than it is @ 75MPH - BUT... I bought the Vulcan for a putt-around-town bike, and not for long blasts down the super slab.
Maybe some day I'll FINALLY out grow the need (desire) for a 125HP bike and settle down with a geezer-glide, but in the meanwhile I'll keep my OEM sprocket.
Now...If it reduced the RPM @ 70MPH by like...750 - and the bike were still streetable in the lower 4 gears I might slap one on.
I'll keep reading and wondering for now...I still have exhaust and some electrical work to do on my Vulcan - which is almost BONE stock.

Whoever gets this, please let us know how you like it.

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not."

Last edited by ETC(SS); 08-02-2010 at 02:31 PM.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETC(SS) View Post
Gee...
I was going to SNAP it up - but I think you talked me out of it.

Now...If it reduced the RPM @ 70MPH by like...750 - and the bike were still streetable in the lower 4 gears I might slap one on.

Whoever gets this, please let us know how you like it.
Even if you put both the front and rear sprockets on, your RPM decrease at 70 would be just under 500 RPM. I am a geezer, and don't go fast anymore, (except in bizjets) but I do like the low-end grunt. Not willing to give some of that up just to lower the engine speed a couple of hundred RPMs on that rare interstate ride.

Ron in Cincinnati

.........Bob Seger

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacomutt View Post
Even if you put both the front and rear sprockets on, your RPM decrease at 70 would be just under 500 RPM. I am a geezer, and don't go fast anymore, (except in bizjets) but I do like the low-end grunt. Not willing to give some of that up just to lower the engine speed a couple of hundred RPMs on that rare interstate ride.
That's basically why I keep going back and forth on buying the pulley. I ride to work on the slab, but the speed limit is only 50 (Washington, DC) and the cops are pretty anal about it. My bike has "kissed" 80 on the speedo, but I normally just don't find myself really opening the bike up like that. Currently, I'm averaging 51 MPG, so I don't really see the point of it.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadge View Post
That's basically why I keep going back and forth on buying the pulley. I ride to work on the slab, but the speed limit is only 50 (Washington, DC) and the cops are pretty anal about it. My bike has "kissed" 80 on the speedo, but I normally just don't find myself really opening the bike up like that. Currently, I'm averaging 51 MPG, so I don't really see the point of it.
Uh...I guess that means you don't want it either? Even though it's aluminum, it'll hold down lots of papers on my desk if it doesn't sell!

Ron in Cincinnati

.........Bob Seger
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 03:58 PM
Top Contributor

When I first put it on I thought WTF is going on here, no RPM differance with the speed. Then it finally dawned on me that with the drop in speed on the speedometer, the RPM reading was going to adjust accordingly. 1000 rpm... I think not, but it does make a differance. My speedo would read 7 mph high at 70 mph (really doing about 63-64). Now at 70 mph, I'm really doing 69 and that's close enough for me. The RPM and speedo still match each other closely so where a set RPM was giving me 63-64 mph, the same RPM is giving me 69 mph. I'm sorry, but that's significant to me and I'm not going to complicate the equation any more than that. If any of you are inclined to pick up Ron's pulley, go for it. BTW, I've been using the pulley for over 6 months now and love it (self installed)....

Mark...Rollingbones
2011 Harley Road King FLHR
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Vulcan 900 Classic (Sold)
American Legion Riders Post 383
Patriot Guard Riders
Sacramento Metro Fire CERT
West Fair Oaks Neighborhood Watch

Last edited by Rollingbones; 08-02-2010 at 04:12 PM.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollingbones View Post
When I first put it on I thought WTF is going on here, no RPM differance with the speed. Then it finally dawned on me that with the drop in speed on the speedometer, the RPM reading was going to adjust accordingly. 1000 rpm... I think not, but it does make a differance. My speedo would read 7 mph high at 70 mph (really doing about 63). Now at 70 mph, I'm really doing 69 and that's close enough for me. The RPM and speedo still match each other closely so where a set RPM was giving me 63 mph, the same RPM is giving me 69 mph. I'm sorry, that's significant to me and I'm not going to complicate the equation any more than that. If any of you are inclined to pick up Pacomutt's pulley, go for it. BTW, I've been using the pulley for over 6 months now and love it (self installed)....
Yep, your numbers equate with mine, and I almost installed this just to correct the speedo. But the RPM drop is so insignificant it just didn't seem worthwhile to lose any low speed drivability. If anything, I may just try to correct the speedometer. I've seen add-on gadgets for this.

Ron in Cincinnati

.........Bob Seger
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 04:17 PM
Top Contributor

There's a device called a Speedohealer that works really well. I had one on my previous ride and it allows you to dial it in oretty accurately. As with the pulley, you odometr will register less as well. With the pulley, my odometer was running 4% high and now is showing 3% low (which is still within accepted federal standards for an acceptable odo reading).

Mark...Rollingbones
2011 Harley Road King FLHR
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Vulcan 900 Classic (Sold)
American Legion Riders Post 383
Patriot Guard Riders
Sacramento Metro Fire CERT
West Fair Oaks Neighborhood Watch
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacomutt View Post
Uh...I guess that means you don't want it either? Even though it's aluminum, it'll hold down lots of papers on my desk if it doesn't sell!
1st rule of sales -- don't tell people what's wrong with what you're selling! You talked me out of it!

Seriously, though -- like I said, I just can't make up my mind about installing the pulley. I think I'd rather know someone personally who has it installed and check it out on their bike.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollingbones View Post
There's a device called a Speedohealer that works really well. I had one on my previous ride and it allows you to dial it in oretty accurately. As with the pulley, you odometr will register less as well. With the pulley, my odometer was running 4% high and now is showing 3% low (which is still within accepted federal standards for an acceptable odo reading).
Thanks, Bones. I'll look into it.

Ron in Cincinnati

.........Bob Seger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode