Power Commander on stock 900 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Power Commander on stock 900

Is anyone using a Power Commander lll on a stock 900 ('06 in particular) and if so, do you like it and recommend it? What differences has it made?
Thanks!

Ron in Cincinnati

Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.
.........Bob Seger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 06:18 PM

When I first got my Power Commander the bike was completely stock. I figured it was the first step to the rest of the upgrades I wanted to do (intake and exhaust). I didn't notice a huge difference but there was a slight increase in midrange power. Kawasaki sets the OEM fuel load on the lean side to pass emission standards. The PCIII (with the pre-loaded map) will richen it up and help it run better.

07 Vulcan 900 Custom
Arlen Ness Big Sucker Intake
Power Commander III
BC Billet Mirrors
BC Chrome Grips
Cobra Speedster Slashdowns
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino570 View Post
When I first got my Power Commander the bike was completely stock. I figured it was the first step to the rest of the upgrades I wanted to do (intake and exhaust). I didn't notice a huge difference but there was a slight increase in midrange power. Kawasaki sets the OEM fuel load on the lean side to pass emission standards. The PCIII (with the pre-loaded map) will richen it up and help it run better.
Thanks. I'm thinking about getting one due to the engine putting out a lot of heat at low speeds. I figured it was over lean.

Ron in Cincinnati

.........Bob Seger

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 08:41 AM

I used a couple of fuel processors on my V-rod, which runs even leaner from the factory than my VN900 does(!) and they are all about the same. If the PC3 for the VN900 is the same as the ones I've seen - they're pretty good.
Don't expect that it will turn your bike into a tire eating monster. It won't.
It will allow you to tweak your F/A mixture back into the "sweet" spot after a pipe/intake mod.
I like the V&H Fuel Pack (check fleabay) since you do not have to run wires down to the injectors, and you don't need a computer to access the device. The interface is a little harder to deal with - but FOR ME, and FOR A V-ROD, the install was cleaner - and once you get it tweaked in for your riding preferences, you're going to tuck it away on your bike somewhere and forget about it until you tinker with your bike's engine again.
My preferences are HD biased - since the install on my other bike is in a Waaaay different place than it would be for the VN900, but it's something to think about.
IMHO - they all work about the same in the end

If you want to monkey with your F/A settings a lot - and you don't mind running wires down to your injectors - the PC3 is hard to beat, and there are probably a ton of maps out there for different exhaust/intake configurations.

The Cobra (Fi200r?) uses the "tweak-the-pot" method for adjusting the F/A mix - which is all you need - and it's simple to use - but you have those wires to deal with (hide.)

Good Luck.
Let us know how it turns out!!!!

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not."
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETC(SS) View Post
I used a couple of fuel processors on my V-rod, which runs even leaner from the factory than my VN900 does(!) and they are all about the same. If the PC3 for the VN900 is the same as the ones I've seen - they're pretty good.
Don't expect that it will turn your bike into a tire eating monster. It won't.
It will allow you to tweak your F/A mixture back into the "sweet" spot after a pipe/intake mod.
I like the V&H Fuel Pack (check fleabay) since you do not have to run wires down to the injectors, and you don't need a computer to access the device. The interface is a little harder to deal with - but FOR ME, and FOR A V-ROD, the install was cleaner - and once you get it tweaked in for your riding preferences, you're going to tuck it away on your bike somewhere and forget about it until you tinker with your bike's engine again.
My preferences are HD biased - since the install on my other bike is in a Waaaay different place than it would be for the VN900, but it's something to think about.
IMHO - they all work about the same in the end

If you want to monkey with your F/A settings a lot - and you don't mind running wires down to your injectors - the PC3 is hard to beat, and there are probably a ton of maps out there for different exhaust/intake configurations.

The Cobra (Fi200r?) uses the "tweak-the-pot" method for adjusting the F/A mix - which is all you need - and it's simple to use - but you have those wires to deal with (hide.)

Good Luck.
Let us know how it turns out!!!!
Thanks. I went to the V&H website and looked at the installation, and it was identical to the PC install! Wires to the injectors, etc..
Plus, they are strictly performance accessory oriented, and it doesn't look like they have a base map for stock bikes. Guess the PC is the way I need to go.

Ron in Cincinnati

.........Bob Seger
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 12:45 PM

Crap.
I was hoping I could find one like I have on the V.
Sorry about the bum dope.
In the picture of the V&H model I saw (taken from the fleabay stock photo) they made it LOOK like you "piggybacked" the unit onto the ECU - or whatever they call the unit in Kawasakidom.

Swat I get for thinking I guess...

Maybe somebody out there knows of a fuel integrator/processor/do-whammy that does not require wires that run over to the injectors.

MY bike is still bone stock - but I do plan to gut the exhaust - and would thusly like to be able to alter the F/A ratio.

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not."
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETC(SS) View Post
Crap.
I was hoping I could find one like I have on the V.

Maybe somebody out there knows of a fuel integrator/processor/do-whammy that does not require wires that run over to the injectors.

MY bike is still bone stock - but I do plan to gut the exhaust - and would thusly like to be able to alter the F/A ratio.
Don't beat yourself up! I really don't mind a little installation, and the PC looks like it could be done in just a few minutes once you get the tank off. It's all plug-in. I just wanted one that would help out a stock bike just a bit.

Ron in Cincinnati

.........Bob Seger
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 01:38 PM

Installing a PCIII or V is easy...you don't even need to remove the tank all the way. I was able to remove the rear tank bolts leave all of the hoses attached to the tank, remove the airbox and lift the tank high enough to get my hands into access everything. It only required a little bit of cussing. Yes, yes, I could've taken it off all the way, but in my infinite wisdom, I had just filled the tank during my last ride. The other note is after removing the rear tank bolts, the tank needs to slide rearward to be lifted all the way. Also, FWIW, I mounted my PCIII where my tools "used" to reside...made life very easy. For tools, I carry a nice leatherman multi-tool in one of my saddlebags.

-RW
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingWanderer View Post
Also, FWIW, I mounted my PCIII where my tools "used" to reside...made life very easy. For tools, I carry a nice leatherman multi-tool in one of my saddlebags.

-RW
TOOLS??? They're supposed to come with tools?

Ron in Cincinnati

.........Bob Seger
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 02:15 PM

I have a 2010 vulcan 900 classic lt and was wondering , I'm getting a set of cobra speedster longs and a pc v. does the stock map from dyno work pretty well or should it be tweaked? Does anyone have a tweaked fuel map that could be uploaded that would work with my bike or should I just spend the money and get it dyno'd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode