Best solo seat for a big guy? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Best solo seat for a big guy?

Hello,
I went for my first ride yesterday that did not end with me riding 1000 feet away from my house, just to return and repeat(practice, practice). I saw all the complaints about the stock seats, but I didn't think it was going to be an issue, until yesterday evening. I rode about 40 miles round trip and my butt was alternating between slight pain and numbness. I'm a "fluffy" guy at 6', 300 lbs and I need a seat to accommodate.

My wife will not ride the bike, so I was thinking of a buying a solo seat. Then I didn't know if the saddlebags I got with the bike will work with a solo seat. Here is the type of bags I have. To be honest, I can not recall ever seeing a bike with a solo seat and bags without an ugly rack setup.

If the bags won't work, I have no issue with getting a passenger seat, as long as it is comfortable for me. I really don't want to spend 400+ on a seat, but if there are one of the high end saddles that I should definately buy, I can look for gently used issues of the recommended seat. Thanks for any help. Another question to come in the near future about correcting a cosmetic problem with my pre-owned purchase.
-Rob

2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 10:02 PM
Top Contributor

you need to check out Russel Cycle Products seats...the one called 'daylong' sounds like what might work for you....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06Vulcan900 View Post
Hello,
I went for my first ride yesterday that did not end with me riding 1000 feet away from my house, just to return and repeat(practice, practice). I saw all the complaints about the stock seats, but I didn't think it was going to be an issue, until yesterday evening. I rode about 40 miles round trip and my butt was alternating between slight pain and numbness. I'm a "fluffy" guy at 6', 300 lbs and I need a seat to accommodate.

My wife will not ride the bike, so I was thinking of a buying a solo seat. Then I didn't know if the saddlebags I got with the bike will work with a solo seat. Here is the type of bags I have. To be honest, I can not recall ever seeing a bike with a solo seat and bags without an ugly rack setup.

If the bags won't work, I have no issue with getting a passenger seat, as long as it is comfortable for me. I really don't want to spend 400+ on a seat, but if there are one of the high end saddles that I should definately buy, I can look for gently used issues of the recommended seat. Thanks for any help. Another question to come in the near future about correcting a cosmetic problem with my pre-owned purchase.
-Rob

2009 V2K / Vietnam Vet / PGR rider
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 10:22 PM

I am also about your size and the saddlemen works really good for me.They me be others and i would be glad to hear from them,also.I am also 6'1''and 300lbs,so we have something in common.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 03:33 AM

this is probably your best bet for a solo thats pretty comfortable. the saddleman. it has a gelpad in it and Ive riden 400 miles in a day with no problem.

the saddlebags are also saddleman. they were throw overs but i took the yoke off, got some bag supports and hard-mounted them. these bags were easy to mount because of saddlemans hard back in the bags. i just driled two holes thru, used a couple nice sized washers on the inside and presto. hardmounted bags. they are not quick detach (those stick out to far IMO) but i rarely take my bags off so it wasnt a concern
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallannie View Post
you need to check out Russel Cycle Products seats...the one called 'daylong' sounds like what might work for you....
Those seats look extremely nice, but 450+ and sending them my factory seat on top of that just isn't in my budget and I would imagine finding a used Russell would be difficult, expecially considering they design it around the individual rider. Maybe one day I can pony up the cash for one of those when I get more experience in and upgrade to a larger bike. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUM View Post
I am also about your size and the saddlemen works really good for me.They me be others and i would be glad to hear from them,also.I am also 6'1''and 300lbs,so we have something in common.
Good to know I'm not alone. Does the Saddlemen solo(as pictured above thanks to Slpr61) push you forward at all like the Stock seat does? The stock seat pushes me forward constantly and leaves me fighting for posture. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slpr61 View Post
this is probably your best bet for a solo thats pretty comfortable. the saddleman. it has a gelpad in it and Ive riden 400 miles in a day with no problem.

the saddlebags are also saddleman. they were throw overs but i took the yoke off, got some bag supports and hard-mounted them. these bags were easy to mount because of saddlemans hard back in the bags. i just driled two holes thru, used a couple nice sized washers on the inside and presto. hardmounted bags. they are not quick detach (those stick out to far IMO) but i rarely take my bags off so it wasnt a concern
That looks very cool. Once I put the bags on, I don't plan on removing them, so that looks like a great option for me. Same question I ask BRUM above... Does the Saddlemen solo push you forward at all like the Stock seat does? The stock seat pushes me forward constantly and leaves me fighting for posture. I may get back with you if I have more questions about installing those bags, but I'm going to give it a good look to see if I can do that. I really like that setup. If that seat works for me, you will be copied minus the studs. Thanks much!
-Rob

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 05:49 PM

Rob
the saddleman seat does not push me forward like the stocker does. in fact thats one thing i really like about it, you dont sit *on* it, you sit *in* it. once you rest up against the back of it, your stuck there, and it offers some great support too for the lower back, although you being a tad bigger than me your back probably wont come in to much contact with it, but the same principal will apply.
it sits about an ich lower than stock also, roughly. not that noticable realy. and i think it sits you back a tad forther than the stocker.
the seat comes in a few versions. plain, flame stitch and studded. saddleman recommends what they call the comfort feature too. in the pic you can see that theres a seam between the back of the seat and the bottom. theres seperation there, thus the cover doesnt *tug* on your hinder.

as for the how the bags are mounted, you got any questions, dont hesitate to ask! if needed i can round up a camera and take some pics as well.
i think these are the supports i used. I had to bend them in lightly because they kinda stuck on the bottom, but that was no biggie.
http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/...9_p/71-119.htm
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slpr61 View Post
Rob
the saddleman seat does not push me forward like the stocker does. in fact thats one thing i really like about it, you dont sit *on* it, you sit *in* it. once you rest up against the back of it, your stuck there, and it offers some great support too for the lower back, although you being a tad bigger than me your back probably wont come in to much contact with it, but the same principal will apply.
it sits about an ich lower than stock also, roughly. not that noticable realy. and i think it sits you back a tad forther than the stocker.
the seat comes in a few versions. plain, flame stitch and studded. saddleman recommends what they call the comfort feature too. in the pic you can see that theres a seam between the back of the seat and the bottom. theres seperation there, thus the cover doesnt *tug* on your hinder.

as for the how the bags are mounted, you got any questions, dont hesitate to ask! if needed i can round up a camera and take some pics as well.
i think these are the supports i used. I had to bend them in lightly because they kinda stuck on the bottom, but that was no biggie.
http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/...9_p/71-119.htm
I sincerely appreciate you helping this newbie out. I have a set of mounts that the 1st owner purchased, so hopefully those will work with a little manipulation. One more question on the seat. I couldn't find the specs on their website, but on an eBay auction, it said the seat was 13 inches in width. Is this correct? The Stock seat is 16-17 inches wide. I could see going to 15", but 13 is fairly skinny... at least I think it is

On a side note, how can eBay vendors and other online dealers cut 70 bucks from the price of these opposed to the actual saddlemen website?
-Rob

EDIT: That said, I don't know what saddle comfort really is, so the width decrease may actually be helpful. Need 2 wheeled education.

Last edited by 06Vulcan900; 08-01-2010 at 07:55 PM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 08:46 PM

from what Ive read, a narrower seat can be more comfy. so long as its not to narrow. all I know is its alot more comfy than the ol stocker. alot. mine measures about 14 at its widest point.
not sure about the pricing, just that saddleman is listing the retail price.
I know saddleman is a pleasure to do business with. the first seat I got, the stitching that goes along th eside to the back was off center. noticably. I called them and they said send it back, they'd be happy to replace it. they called me when they recieved it and were very appoligetic (sp?) saying that that seat should never have left the building, and reinbersed me for shipping. I would buy from them again.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 10:16 PM
Top Contributor

900c solo seat

I am a "fluffy" 6ft and roughly 300, so I put a Saddlemen solo saddle on my 900c. I live in Canada, so customs, shipping blah, blah puts the cost up but it is worth it to save your prostate. They tell you that the seat lifts and pushes you forward, but I feel like I am in the bike more.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VN900C.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	2554  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode