Valve Noise Help 900 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 07:35 AM Thread Starter

Valve Noise Help 900

I have a 06 900 classic that i really like... this is my problem the valves to me started to get a little loud...never heard this before valves were always quiet... the bike has never had the valves done (27000km)so i take it to the dealer an told him to do the valves...I pick the bike up later that afternoon i go to pay for it an they tell me the valves are within spec.talked to the guy that worked on the bike... who i know very well.... an he told me they were on the tight side of spec....is this normal to hear the valves tapping a little while driving on the 900 this happend on other time an they told me to go to a heaver oil witch i did...20w50 seemed to go away for a while but now the bike has more miles on it ...I am running molbil 1 v twin 20w50 synthetic
thanks for any help
Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 07:50 AM

My 06 classic has clickity-clack. I bought mine from the dealer, it was his personal bike. He has owned three Vulcan 900's. He says all 900s make that sound. I guess it in the design.

Anywho, personally I notice the tapping at different times. I'm sure it's always there but depends on where my mind is. If they say it's spec then what more assurance can you have?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 08:07 AM
Top Contributor

Vulcans are known to sound like swein machines so a little of noise is normal. Usually aftermarket pipes hide this issue. If your ticking is still loud even with aftermarket pipes then you may want to try a thiner oil like the 10-40 or 15-40. I once tried Mobil 1 20-50 and the ticking on top of the engine and the tranny clunk became louder so after about 1000 miles I went back to 10-40 and all the noises went back to normal. Now running 15-40 and bike sounds and runs very smooth.

Gitty Up & Go!

2007 VN 900 Custom modifications:
Corbin Young Guns Saddle*OEM Classic Gel Flame Saddle (when 2up)*OEM Light Bar*National Cycles Shield*OEM Ribbed Handlebar Grips*OEM Classic Rear Fender*PC III*V&H SCS Pipes (Modified)*Comet Milled BAK*Engine Guard*Genmar Risers*Clear Alternatives Integrated Tail Light*Kury Magnum Plus Mirrors*Kury Cruise Control*Upgraded Horn*Metzler 90/90/21*Avon Venom 200/70/15*Both SW Pulleys.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 10:16 AM
Top Contributor

The "ticking" is inherent to the bike. One thing I have learned.....the nine hates to be lugged. Rev it high, it is not a bike that likes to be "chugged" around. The wife and I recently did a 1200 km trip, and, there were some technical spots. There were times when I had the nine in third and the ticking was crazy. I had to shift to second and the tick went quickly away. Try being in fourth when you want to be in fifth etc....and the tick becomes WAY more manageable.

2009 VN900 Classic LT.
Nova Scotia, Canada.
Cobra luggage rack.
Kuryakyn Grand Tourer luggage bag.
Kuryakyn air filter cover.
170/80/15 Metzler rear tire.
Fire and Ice passenger floorboards.
Stage 2 debaffle (screens left intact).
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 11:36 AM
Top Contributor

Curious... I have the same ticking and thought I had screwed up my ride. A couple of weeks ago my wife and I took a mellow ride to Lake Tahoe to get out of the Sacratomato heat. I rode pretty mellow and had no ticking that day. I'm using the Mobil 1 V-Twin oil, but had it with other grades/weights of oil so I'll stay with what I'm using.

Mark...Rollingbones
2011 Harley Road King FLHR
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Vulcan 900 Classic (Sold)
American Legion Riders Post 383
Patriot Guard Riders
Sacramento Metro Fire CERT
West Fair Oaks Neighborhood Watch
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode