Water Temp Warning light not testing - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Water Temp Warning light not testing

The Water Temp Warning light on my speedo does not test when the ignition is switched on. This is an '06 VN900. I removed the speedo assembly per the manual and tested the light with a 12 volt source. The bulb is fine, the fan runs and cycles when the engine gets hot, just no test, and presumably, no overheat warning is available. Anyone else had this problem?

Ron in Cincinnati

Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.
.........Bob Seger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 04:28 AM
Top Contributor

Check the sensor and connectors (unplug and reseat) to the sensor and ECU. The signal from the sensor goes through the ECU to the bulb.
Temp sensor resistance (kohm):
32F: 6.544
104F: 1.136 +/- 0.095
212F: 0.1553 +/- 0.0070

2007 Custom
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 05:40 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baitis View Post
Check the sensor and connectors (unplug and reseat) to the sensor and ECU. The signal from the sensor goes through the ECU to the bulb.
Temp sensor resistance (kohm):
32F: 6.544
104F: 1.136 +/- 0.095
212F: 0.1553 +/- 0.0070
Thanks! Time to pull the tank and flush the cooling system anyway!

Ron in Cincinnati

.........Bob Seger

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 03:21 PM

Any updates pacomutt? I'm having the exact same issue on my 06 900 Classic. I've already tried unplugging/plugging everything to no avail. But I don't think the sensor is the problem, as the bike does startup in a fast idle and comes out of the fast idle after a few seconds (it depends if I left it idling or if I just took off and if the bike was already warm, for example, I know that when I get out of work, it comes out of fast idle two blocks away from work). Therefore I think that the ECU is getting signal.

Right now I'm going to buy a multimeter... I've already disassembled the speedometer, thinking that maybe I would be able to test the oil or FI LED instead of the temp led, but that didn't work (connectors are different). I'm suspecting that the temp led is burnt, but won't know until I get the multimeter.

---

Go soothingly on the greasy mud, for therein lies the skid demon
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 04:25 PM

Dang...

I've done the procedure on the service manual (16-69) and the led and speedo test OK (the led lits up).

So... It's either the temperature sensor, the ECU or a freaking cable somewhere in between the sensor, ECU or speedo... How FUN!

---

post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Süsser Tod View Post
Dang...

I've done the procedure on the service manual (16-69) and the led and speedo test OK (the led lits up).

So... It's either the temperature sensor, the ECU or a freaking cable somewhere in between the sensor, ECU or speedo... How FUN!
Tod, I've done everything you've done- pulled/reseated every connection, checked and confirmed LED on speedo works, checked ohms at temp sensor which read around 1500 ohms at about 90 degrees on the day I worked on it, so it reads where it should at start-up temperature. Like yours, the bike starts fine, fast idles and then settles to normal idle, runs well and fan comes on and cycles normally while riding.
I have not checked the thru-circuit wiring for continuity from the ECU to the sensor and back, but I will do so next time I have the tank off. I'll let you know, and please do likewise if you find the problem.
Funny, but the service manual points first to the LED in the speedo and wants you to replace the entire speedo unit even though the LED is in a plug-in socket that is plugged into a circuit board. How often do you think an LED light that only comes on during a bulb check on start-up would burn out???

Ron in Cincinnati

.........Bob Seger
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 06:02 PM
Top Contributor

Take a look at your wiring diagram. Is there a water temperature "diode" in the circuit?

Post back.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfair View Post
Take a look at your wiring diagram. Is there a water temperature "diode" in the circuit?

Post back.
Nope, nothing. I've been studying the wiring diagram so I can try to figure out what I need to check (I already went and purchased a multimeter, I already had one, but it's at my parent's place, that's why I tried everything that didn't involve a multimeter). On the temperature sensor, the orange wire goes straight to the ECU and the black/brown also goes to the ECU, but it is shared among a multitude of sensors (might be a common voltage/input?), then a yellow/white cable comes out of the ECU and goes to the speedo, nothing in between, and that one should be open during normal operation and grounded when the led is on.

---

post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 07:01 PM
Top Contributor

If the fan works OK, no FI light, LED checks out, then it is:

1. Bad connection/broken wire at ECU or meter. (Yellow/white wire)
2. Ecu not running LED test routine.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 07:37 PM

Well, I'm done diagnosing my bike.

As I thought, there is no problem with the temperature sensor and the connection to the ECU, on both leads. This is also confirmed by the correct behaviour of the bike (going out of fast idle, etc.) To further prove that the ECU is able to tell if something is wrong with the temp sensor, if unplugged, the fan will automatically turn on, but at the same time the warning light didn't (obviously, the problem is that it won't turn on).

After the previous tests we concluded that the speedometer was working fine.

So it was either the ECU not sending a signal, or the signal getting lost in the way. Well, turns out that, at least on my bike, the yellow/white wire from the ECU to the speedometer is broken. So I either need to splice in a new cable in there or get a new wiring harness...

---

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode