Baron (or Scootworks) Front/Rear Pulleys - Pro and Cons - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Baron (or Scootworks) Front/Rear Pulleys - Pro and Cons

I have read some postings on the forum about changing out the front and rear pulleys on the 900. I am considering changing out the front pulley this winter and maybe the back also. I would like to get some feedback from those on the forum that have done one or both.

I have a 2008 900 Classic.

What were the pros and cons as result of the pulley(s)?

Was it worth the cost?

Would you suggest to another person to do it?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 09:57 AM

I changed the front pulley, along with 170/80 rear tire. Made a difference in the RPMs at freeway speed. Nice improvement, easy install, and worth the money for sure!! I have not installed the rear pulley as of yet, and at this point don't think I will. Changing the gear ratio, robs a little power from the low end, but if you want to drag race you will need a different scoot!!
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Thanks for the reply Tang56. Question, when you loosen the rear wheel to create slack on the drive belt in order to change out the front pulley, is there any thing I need to know about getting the rear wheel back in line? I see the little marks on the frame and the notch on the rear wheel tensioner. I realize that the new pulley is a bit larger (anyone know how many teeth larger) so the wheel will not hit the same marks as with the OEM pulley.

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 01:45 PM

...I went with the Baron's...excellent quality, and silent. You probably will have to remove the "belt keeper" so the new pulley will not rub....no problem results from that....next I plan to go to a little taller rear tire also...I understand some of the scootworks pulleys were trash.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 02:46 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
I have all three (front, rear, and tire). Makes for a great ride.

As for pulleys I went with SW for front & rear. I have had no issues at all with either pulley (the front is there newer harden aluminum). But, would have gone with Barons for the front because it's steel, and cheaper, was not available when I did this mod. As for the rear, either is fine as both are made from the same material, so it will be cost & styling between the two for this choice.

"Freedom is Loving what you do, and the ability to Pursue It!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2010 900 Classic
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 10:42 PM

I have a couple of questions for the guys who have done both pulleys. How much has changing out the two pulleys affected acceleration, both from a stop and passing. Also have you noticed an increase in top speed?

thanks so much
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 12:04 AM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyjustice View Post
I have a couple of questions for the guys who have done both pulleys. How much has changing out the two pulleys affected acceleration, both from a stop and passing. Also have you noticed an increase in top speed?

thanks so much
I ride 2-up a lot with both pulleys (and a larger tire 200/70). Acceleration from a stop is fine. The 900 is not going to win a bunch of races off the line, but getting up to freeway speed quickly is no issue, you just don't shift as quickly. I will be at 65 with in seconds. As far a top end speed yes it's increased (at least on paper). Cruising speeds are greatly improved. Drops the RPM from 4100 (70mph actual) to 3200 (70mph actual) with larger tire.

So far, it's one of the best combinations to improve an already great bike. IMHO

"Freedom is Loving what you do, and the ability to Pursue It!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2010 900 Classic
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 03:43 AM

just getting used to the idea that maybe a 170/80 rear tyre is better than a 180/70 and then you throw that in the mix Bosco ... a 200/70 rear tyre!

does it fit without modification?
how does it affect handling?
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 06:48 AM
Top Contributor

Front rear pulley question

As usual Bosco has it covered. I would go with both pulley's because of the lack of rear clearance for a larger tire with just the front pulley. Just my opinion. I also went with the Baron's front pulley, imo much better than others. I would not have room on my bike for a larger rear tire with just the front pulley.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 08:15 AM

I installed the Baron 34 tooth front pulley on my '09 LT. hardest part was looosening the 27mm nut. I put tranny in 1st gear locked the front & rear brakes & chocked the rear wheel...nut wouldn't budge with 1/2" drive socket and a long bkr bar untill I held pressure on it & whacked the bar with a hand sledge.
I thank the forum for the how to video & info to remove factory slider...otherwise just followed Kawi factory manuel instructions on belt tensioning.

I'm happy with the slight reduction in vibration at 70mph now cruise more comfortably especially two up. I'll go to the larger rear tire also when it's time to replace...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in