Iso Grips - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-10-2010, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

Iso Grips

I was contemplating installing Iso Grips on my 2009 Vn 900 Custom because of the looks, as well as the comfort. I am not exactly a mechanic, so I was wondering if anyone had insight on how difficult the grips are to install, and if it is possible to mess up the throttle at all by installing the grips.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-10-2010, 11:27 PM

I put mine on today. Very easy install. There is a version that just replaces the grip on the right side instead of replacing the throttle tube. Kuryakyn's part number 6240 uses stock throttle tube. 6235 replaces the throttle tube with the grip already attached.

If you do use 6235 you will have to separate the right switch housing and loosen the throttle cables to get the tube off, then you will have to adjust them back after you put the new grip on. I did it, it's not that hard. Just make sure when you turn the bars lock to lock the engine speed doesn't change, if so, you need to readjust. There's a warning about the glue drying fast. It does dry fast, but if you work quickly and know where you want the grip, it's not a problem. There's a spacer in the package, I didn't use it. I just left about an 1/8" between the left switch housing and the grip.

Here's a video of a guy putting some grips on his 900 (He uses the stock throttle tube):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ai85S_AwWo4

I got mine from this guy:

http://tinyurl.com/2fl8eu2

Great price and I got it in 3 days.

2009 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
OEM Engine Guard
OEM Light Bar
OEM Lowers
Mustang Wide Touring Seat
Scootworks Front Overdrive Pulley
Kuryakyn ISO Grips
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 07:00 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
yea... that is the video i found also. his idea of rolling it off is smart to save the grips incase you ever want to take them off. people have said you damage them, but i have seen alot of them that start spinning after a while... i am guessing from the force being put on them and the heat from the sun...

'02 Drifter 1500
... just an awesome ride!

'08 Custom-ized
Candy Lime Green

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 10:49 AM

I used the set that replaced the throttle tube. I think it took me about an hour to do. An easy way to remove the stock left grip, is to blow compressed air into the hole on the end of the grip. This will slightly inflate the grip and break the glue bond. Once the grip is loose, keep the air flowing and pull the grip off. I pulled mine of in under 30 seconds using this method.

09 VN900 Custom SE (sold)
10 Victory Cross Roads
03 Victory Vegas
98 TRX450S
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagered View Post
yea... that is the video i found also. his idea of rolling it off is smart to save the grips incase you ever want to take them off. people have said you damage them, but i have seen alot of them that start spinning after a while... i am guessing from the force being put on them and the heat from the sun...
I started to roll mine off to save for later but got about 1/4 way down and just sliced them open. Much easier!

Other than that a very easy install. Just got to be fast with the glue cause it seems to set very very quickly.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 04:01 PM

Very easy install. I did my ISO grips with the stiletto ends in about 20 minutes. Don't make the mistake I did and apply the glue to the bar, it makes one hell of a mess.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 04:49 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biohazzmat View Post
I started to roll mine off to save for later but got about 1/4 way down and just sliced them open.

Must have been pretty easy, cuz I managed it too. I went with rolling the orig grips off (as seen in the Cruiser Customizing video on installing these) but now that they're rolled up I can't manage to unroll them. Whatever, they're never going back on. Might as well throw the OEM grips away. Kury-Isos are so much nicer!

'09 900LT
—Mustang Wide Studded Touring Seat
—Metz ME 880s
—Irons In The Fire lowers
—Küry Iso Grips w/Throttle Boss
...and a bunch of other little stuff
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 08:14 PM

Use some dish liquid its really easy to flip them back
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 07:13 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Does anybody know if there is a different Kury grip that fits our bike? I know for the 750, the grip for some of the Goldwings would fit and it was longer in length. So for those of us with larger hands or ride with winter gloves alot had more room.

eLi
South of the Twin Cities.
Ride the river.
'07 900 Classic "turned LT"
Cobra Fi2000
Kury HyperCharger
Hard Krome 3" Big Straights (45-8025)
Metzeler WhiteWalls
Speedo fixer in back (170)
Fuel Gauge resistor
'00 Vulcan 750 (SOLD)
'73 Honda CL350
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 11:15 PM

I also installed the iso grips. Really was an easy install. Had heard from some old bikers to not use the glue but to use hair spray instead. Tried the hair spray, let it set for about ten minutes before I messed with the grips and it worked like a charm.

Nimoy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode